tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Day 16: Freiburg (Germany) -> Paris (France)

After getting a destination charge overnight, we left our hotel – Dorint Thermenhotel Freiburg – with 100% battery heading for our pitstop – a hotel at Charles De Gaulle (CDG) airpot on our way to catch the ferry back home to Ireland.

We headed back north in the direction of Karlsruhe – along the autobahn before crossing over into France near Strasbourg.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageIax2w9

With the PCM showing country info – as usual – when crossing international borders.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageMid8mU

Our first charging stop was at IONITY Hauconcourt (on the outskirts of Metz). This was one of the only IONITY stations we used on this trip that was at a shopping centre – instead of a motorway service station. And it was busy – the first IONITY station that had all charging stations in use and a queue waiting.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageEdc2DI

Cars rotated through the stations reasonably quickly – but you can tell the cars that charge fast and those that don't. The informal queuing system is a little fraught – there seemed to be a risk of queue jumping or people just not being sure. This is one station where IONITY need to add more stations – the four are way too busy – and a nearby Tesla supercharging station had at least 12 charging stalls.

We grabbed a charge when it was our turn on the queue – and we only put in the amount we needed to reach our next stop – so as not to hog the valuable charging slots for too long.

We decided to make a relatively short – 50km each way – detour to have lunch in Luxembourg.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagea57wYd

The PCM found us an underground parking centre easily – as it had a live feed of free spaces in each location.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagedoBJ8m

Luckily it was near the main pedestrian area.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4207

And we quickly found a lot of choices of places to eat.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4211

Afterwards as it was getting late – we had to head back down to Metz and head west to Paris against the setting sun.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageA2hTX1

Picking up our final charge before Paris at IONITY Gueux – outside Reims.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4258

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report 1C76D790-D747-4C5E-9E6C-026F322D65AE_1_102_a

As it got dark – the matrix lights, the night vision, the lane change assist and the sensor fusion all start come-to-life and provide real-world driver assistance without ever being distracting.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageRzaClq

We arrived at our pitstop hotel – INNSiDE by Melià Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport - late in the evening at around 21:30 – tired after the 700km trip.

The underground car park at the hotel was too small – and thus very busy. Unfortunately the hotels two destination chargers were blocked by non EV's.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IMG_4290

There wasn't much we could do – and the charging spots themselves had no "EV only" or other signage – so can't really blame the other vehicle owners. In all the places we stay – we have a backup plan – if a destination charge doesn't work out. In this case it was a nearby 175kW chargers that were on ChargeMap.

We left the car park and headed the 5km to the fast chargers – which are located outside of an Audi Dealer. However, when we reached the charges – disaster. One was "dead" and the other that had electricity/screen working refused to start with any of our charging cards – Porsche/ChargeMap/Shell. There was no obvious instructions on what service or app that could be used to start the charger directly. The area around the chargers was also disgusting – with widespread dumping, half eaten pizza boxes and trash thrown everywhere. The "working" charger also had a serious spider infestation.

At this stage it was nearing 23.30 at night – after a long drive. This was a problem because of the IONITY network tomorrow.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report IONITY North West France

The arrow shows the rough direction we are travelling to catch our boat back to Ireland. However, all the IONITY pins in white are still in build stage – they don't yet exist. Therefore, we'd have to route more northerly to the chargers near Le Havre – however, we didn't have enough to reach there. Normally, we'd handle this the next day – but this was the one day we'd a strict deadline – we had to meet the boat at 15.00 at the latest to board.

We decided to grab a 50kW charge to top up our battery enough to reach IONITY tomorrow. We found one in a motorway station a further 15 minutes away – and took in a charge there for 40 minutes – before heading back to the hotel.

By now it was 01.30 on Sunday morning and we were both well tired. When we arrived back at our hotel – the underground car park was full! So we had to find a nearby airport surface car park, de-camp and walk back to our hotel. Eventually getting to bed at 02.00 – with a departure time of 08.15 the next morning.

This was our most challenging/frustrating charging experience on the trip – due to:
  • Destination chargers blocked
  • Nearby 175kW chargers not working/not maintained
  • Hotel car park full when 50kW charge completed
  • IONITY network still being built in area we were travelling
  • We had a strict deadline to meet the next day.
Any time your primary (destination charger) and backup (nearby 175kW chargers) don't work out – you are going to have some unpleasantness. I'm glad ours came towards the end of our trip.

In the end though – we did what was necessary and was prepared (and tired) for the next and final day of our trip.

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Hauconcourt, France34%85%57.76€19.0636 minutes24.036DC 300kWPorsche Charging Service
Gueux, France25%95%66.72€22.0236 minutes21.035DC 300kWPorsche Charging Service
Vémars, France52%87%35.42€23.9046 minutes21.032DC 50kWPorsche Charging Service

Today we did 740 km over 12:08 hours, with an average speed of 62m/h, consuming 21.3 kWh/100km.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Day 17: Paris (France) -> Cherbourg (France)

It's not every morning you wake up to an airport tower out your window!

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageKbpoBq

We left Paris early on Sunday morning – thankfully the roads still quiet and headed north west towards Le Harve – comfortable with enough power from last nights charge.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageUa6Hq1

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagegeGDYn

We arrived on schedule at IONITY Bolleville with probably a little too much charge – we could have cut last nights late night emergency top-up to a little less. This was the only IONITY station we've been to where there is only two charging pedestals instead of the usual four.

Thankfully all was quiet and we quickly started our charge.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageM6d5r

As we crossed over the Normandy Bridge at Le Harve – the heavens opened with torrential rain.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Screenshot 2021-09-19 at 17.40.50

With plenty of surface water on the road.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagep9dI1Q

Thankfully, it dried up as we drove along the hedgerows of Normandy.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageVrJvyJ

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagekUu9Ut

Until we reach the Port of Cherbourg for check-in.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImage1FpheC

And so this trip ends as it started - by plugging in our car to the ship for a 3kW charge over the 18 hour crossing – back to Dublin.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImageUkZ6ho

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagePQdWav

While we rest up in our comfortable cabin.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report tempImagem6iEPu

The days charging stats:

LocationStart SOC %End SOC %kWh addedCostDurationAmbient TempBattery TempCharger TypeNetwork
Bolleville, France34%81%51.28€16.9225 minutes18.036DC 350kWPorsche Charging Service

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Later in the week I'll post some summary charts/info on our hotels, charging log and thoughts on the car and the options/features we valued on this 5,125km trip.

I hope you join us on our next trip with our Taycan: Winter in Scandinavia.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report Thats all folks

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
thank you for such an informative and entertaining thread. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it.

Swissbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
Later in the week I'll post some summary charts/info on our hotels, charging log and thoughts on the car and the options/features we valued on this 5,125km trip.

Thats all folks.png
Can you reinact this for us ?

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report DFE5F849-0BD1-453D-BCAA-FB1077A8A44C

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
A fantastic post on the forum. Makes all of the readers itch to take a nice drive like this! Amazing.

The only destination on this fantastic trip (and hotel choice and subsequent stress it cost you) was why spend the night next to CDG? You did not go into Paris so why get that close to a mega city, where the infrastructure is going to be stretched in general (even with an ICE).

Anyway an inspiring thread and one of the best on this forum if I dare say!!!

Welcome home!!!!!!

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
A fantastic read! Thank you so much! Makes me want to take my 4S to the Canadian Rockies, just for fun!

Can't wait for your Scandinavian Tour, will definitely be watching! :)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A fantastic post on the forum. Makes all of the readers itch to take a nice drive like this! Amazing.

The only destination on this fantastic trip (and hotel choice and subsequent stress it cost you) was why spend the night next to CDG? You did not go into Paris so why get that close to a mega city, where the infrastructure is going to be stretched in general (even with an ICE).

Anyway an inspiring thread and one of the best on this forum if I dare say!!!

Welcome home!!!!!!
I second that! An absolutely fantastic thread and report. Great photos and very informative, could not wish for any more. I am jealous about the diligence and great photos and videos you have provided here. Thank You.

Having been inspired by your trip, @tigerbalm , we are starting a trip from Monaco to Stockholm on Wednesday. A bit more stressed than in time than this trip report. But planning a stopover at Porsche Leipzig Kundendienst. The trip planned with ABRP shows a multitude of chargers and also some advice to limit the speed, due to lack of chargers. Let’s see how that will work out. A screen shot of our planned trip.

Porsche Taycan Western Europe Taycan road-trip report 8BDFD5B2-B08B-4326-9E25-E2A08A35D98C

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Unreal thread. Excellent write up, informative and awe inspiring in equal measures. Pictures were awesome and it looked like you had a great trip.
I’d never really considered destination charging as a viable option (I couldn’t spec the 22kwh onboard charger) but this has made me think twice, even at with less charging speeds.

Thank you once again for all of the time and effort you put into this. It will helps lots of people.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Amazing thread, I’m waiting for your tour in Scandinavia.
just a thought: why don’t you post some photos from Ireland as well?
I believe they would complete the “report”….

Last edited:

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
As with everyone else, great thread which I have enjoyed reading. Thanks for the time and effort to post/photograph/video. And Happy Anniversary!

NeilJ

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT (Taycan 4S - sold), VW ID3
Country flag
I agree - really enjoyable and inspiring. Very many thanks, and enjoy your next trip.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Thats all folks.png
Save trip home and I can't wait for the sequel!

Top thread!

FredC057

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Fiat 500Ce, Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
What's in our frunk?

IMG_3128.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

• Juice Booster 2 Travel Charger
  • Travel Charger 5 meter extension cable
  • Adaptors:
    • UK
    • Swiss
    • Schuko
    • Italian
    • 32A 3-phase industrial
    • 32A 1-phase industrial
    • 16A 3-phase industrial
    • 16A 1-phase industrial
  • Mennekes branded Type 2 AC Charging Cable
  • Porsche Cleaning Kit
  • Screenwash

The travel charger handles everything from 3 amp single phase up to 32 amp three phase electricity supplies. It also handles the three phase electrical networks without a neutral – like those found in Norway.

Appart from the Type 2, did you had to use the juice booster and any of the other adaptors during your trip?

I'm still unsure of purchasing the Juice booster 2 and the adaptors.

Thanks

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
As other's have said, wonderful thread. Really appreciate you taking the time to document this and share the wonderful places you visited, while highlighting the logistics of an EV Road trip. I'm a huge proponent of EV road trips, and stories like these go a long way in proving to other's, even here, that it can be done easily and comfortably. Many thanks again!
Sponsored