Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Very disappointing to hear. I've got a dozen or so stations about a mile from my home, including two 350KW setups, but I have no idea if they function properly. I do know they have been there for some time (1 yr +). Does anyone have successful high charging experience with one of these EA stations?
Look the charger locations up on PlugShare and you can get an idea of previous users experiences, that's what I did, hope that helps
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I do want add one thing: the two times I have contact Porsche customer care I have had very good experiences. First time was a knowledgeable person with answers, second time when I report the EA issue the women said she doesn’t know exactly who to report it to but with discuss with supervisor to see what the right way to handle this is. Neither time was a blow off and both people seemed well trained and knowledgeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very disappointing to hear. I've got a dozen or so stations about a mile from my home, including two 350KW setups, but I have no idea if they function properly. I do know they have been there for some time (1 yr +). Does anyone have successful high charging experience with one of these EA stations?
Just look on PlugShare.com and find those chargers. You can read the feedback. It's like Yelp for EV chargers.
Besides the web site there are nice iOS and Android ones.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
- The thermal management helps but when its cold out it won’t compensate all the way. And the other factor that reduces range is that air density is much higher when its cold and drag is worse. That can’t be fixed by battery preconditioning.
Yes, I'd forgotten about air density. The air is 10% more dense at 0 deg C than at 30 deg C... But in that case, the thermal management in the Taycan must be very good, based on the limited results so far.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not being any kind of thread police but is there any chance to move the roof and other discussions to another topic just to keep keep focus on battery/charging/range issues? If we are cleaning up Tesla related posts maybe we should move feature related posts out too?

On the battery topic I just noticed that the battery temperature (operating one as maintained) can be displayed as one of the information lines. This is great and I only have had it on the Roadster displays. I am now very curios to watch what happens to battery temperature depending on ambient, driving style and charging. Coming in today I saw the temperature steady at 72 to 74 with outside temperature at 45 and moderate driving. Will definitely push the car and see what happens, there is a "redline" on the battery temp display.

Last edited:

Administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Country flag

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
So when you plug in at home, do you normally cap the battery "fill" level at about 85%, instead of letting it fill up all the way? And do you recommend plugging in every night if your capacity is, say, 200 miles, but you only drive about 50 miles a day? Or would you recommend going 2-3 days without topping off in such a situation (i.e., only driving 40-50 miles a day for normal commuting)?
I only charge at home when below 40% or I know I have a longer trip the next day. 40% easly covers daily driving needs. Should I have forgotton to stick it, or suddenly need longer trip, I top it up on the way, never a problem here since we have so many EVs and charging stations.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
- EA is beholden to the car companies, but I am not sure how seriously car companies take the US as an EV market, I just don’t have the right mindset as a whole. Europe and China however may be a different story.
From the outside is seems that under the current US administration car manufactures are not encouraged to sell EVs. EQC, ID3 is not even sold in the US. EA seems not a serious operation.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So some updates: went back to the EA location I reported not working 5 days ago and guess what? Nothing had happened, one 350KW charger still out and second kept faulting. EA just spent 20 minutes giving me lip service and supervisor, when asked, said there are no timelines for repairs, that they have a ticket “open.”

Good part is when I called Porsche back I did speak to a supervisor, he seemed to genuinely care and understood why I said this will create headwinds for the Taycan. He knew about my previous call on Sunday to customer care, and took notes of location, and details of when I had called EA. When I asked him point blank whether I should keep reporting he said absolutely. I plan to test in another EA location (their headquarters) this weekend and he really seemed to want to know if that location worked. I urge all current and future owners to report negative experience to the manufacturers, because I don’t think EA management themselves cares. But the brands do.

On other positive note I am still getting range that would be around 200-220 miles in colder temperatures, and I am not driving in range mode. I have also been looking at the battery temperature. It seems the car “preconditions” to an ideal of 70F for battery. When I leave it outside in cold temperature it will drop to 50 or so after 8 hours, the battery has a lot of thermal mass. It is not plugged in so I am guessing battery is not preconditioning. Will test by leaving in cold and plugged in but not charging to see if the car smartly maintains temperature. I pushed the car a little bit and only saw the battery temperature go up 1 degree F.

And the Porsche Connect app works great with the Taycan. They seem to have hit it out of the park on first try. I have seen other EV apps be a little barebones or not reliable, this is not the case. I can create schedules, check status, update profiles, etc and it all works great. And it is quick in updates. Only thing I wish it had was remote locking and unlocking which I sometimes use with other cars, but that is minor.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
So some updates: went back to the EA location I reported not working 5 days ago and guess what? Nothing had happened, one 350KW charger still out and second kept faulting. EA just spent 20 minutes giving me lip service and supervisor, when asked, said there are no timelines for repairs, that they have a ticket “open.”

Good part is when I called Porsche back I did speak to a supervisor, he seemed to genuinely care and understood why I said this will create headwinds for the Taycan. He knew about my previous call on Sunday to customer care, and took notes of location, and details of when I had called EA. When I asked him point blank whether I should keep reporting he said absolutely. I plan to test in another EA location (their headquarters) this weekend and he really seemed to want to know if that location worked. I urge all current and future owners to report negative experience to the manufacturers, because I don’t think EA management themselves cares. But the brands do.

On other positive note I am still getting range that would be around 200-220 miles in colder temperatures, and I am not driving in range mode. I have also been looking at the battery temperature. It seems the car “preconditions” to an ideal of 70F for battery. When I leave it outside in cold temperature it will drop to 50 or so after 8 hours, the battery has a lot of thermal mass. It is not plugged in so I am guessing battery is not preconditioning. Will test by leaving in cold and plugged in but not charging to see if the car smartly maintains temperature. I pushed the car a little bit and only saw the battery temperature go up 1 degree F.

And the Porsche Connect app works great with the Taycan. They seem to have hit it out of the park on first try. I have seen other EV apps be a little barebones or not reliable, this is not the case. I can create schedules, check status, update profiles, etc and it all works great. And it is quick in updates. Only thing I wish it had was remote locking and unlocking which I sometimes use with other cars, but that is minor.
Looks like you can with the cayenne, maybe ask porsche if you talk to them again, I would like that feature also

Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns IMG_7065.PNG

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Problems like mentioned above is the reason a lot of EV owners here in Norway have renamed "range anxiety" with "charging anxiety". The problem is no longer range but the fact that you can absolutely not count on getting a charge when you arrive at the stations.
Yes. I’ve owned a Model S for four years and used superchargers a couple of times. I have no anxiety. As the new network rolls out, there will be lots of anxiety. EA is still in the early stages. But as the big car companies come on board this will all get smoother (probably )

Note the thread louv started on his trip across Canada and the US. He’s a pioneer!
Sponsored