daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
It gratifies me that my original post for the road warrior kit has been so well received by the Taycan community - it was developed in an age when EA did not exist (the core recommendation pre-date the Mission-E announcement) - Tesla Supercharger network didn't have 8-64 stalls on every corner and a 270 kW maximum charge rate wasn't even a fantasy…

while I stand by my kit - I think it could be time to refresh the recommendations to a kinder gentler and simpler kit based on experience and progress. therefore I humbly submit the following recommendation for a cheaper, simpler, and more focused "kit"

a high value low cost mobile EV road-warrior kit could be as simple as follows:
  • High quality affordable mobile EVSE (40 amp or 32 amp) - PMC+/PMCC/Mustart/Tesla UMC Gen2 with NEMA 14-50 supply cable - Tesla Corded Charge is a full 9.6 kW (40 amp) EVSE and only $200 - excellent choice and HIGHLY mobile.
  • TeslaTap (60 amp or 80 amp)
    • if you have the 19.2 kW charging option you must get the 80 amp version
    • TeslaTap mini's are also acceptable in 60 and 80 amp varieties…
  • [Adapter] - NEMA 6-50P to NEMA 14-50R adapter cable - charge anywhere you find a NEMA 6-50R (plug socket) - $50 or less
  • [Adapter] - NEMA SS2-50P-* to NEMA 14050R adapter cable - charge at marina's, parking lots, concert venues, and AC generators - $50 or less
  • for 30 amp plug recommendation please see the original posting…I no longer consider 30 amp plug adapters "useful" or likely
  • that's it - that's the entire "kit"
Put another way:
  1. A Mobile EVSE w/14-50 plug
  2. TeslaTap
  3. a 6-50 adapter/pig-tail
  4. Marine shore power adapter
that's the core kit - but represents the most used plug types from my original kit.

actual utilization remains very very low for these adapters, but piece of mind while traveling away from home may be very very high if you want confidence in your ability to charge at most any 240V/50 amp plug type while traveling.

in my mind this kit could be consider a "core" kit for those that wish to have options while traveling but not go overboard (like my original posting) - note these days I'm using public charging more and more and more - so "kit" usage is dropping below historical lows…which were already quite low - I rarely unpack it from my frunk.

the original kit is still the most complete kit for all possible charging scenarios - but it's overall utilization still remains very very very low!!!

And in increasingly un-necessary in a world with more and more public charging.

enjoy…

* - for maximum confusion NEMA SS2-50P is also known as 886399 shore power - both are equivalent and there is no functional difference.
Sponsored

Last edited:

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
Put another way:
  1. A Mobile EVSE w/14-50 plug
  2. TeslaTap
  3. a 6-50 adapter/pig-tail
My kit is this exactly, except for the Marine Shore Power adapter. You've given me something to put in my letter to Santa.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
This is almost my exact "kit" as well:
  1. A Mobile EVSE w/14-50 plug (I bought the Mustart Travelmaster)
  2. TeslaTap (I bought the 60A Mini)
  3. a 6-50 adapter/pig-tail (I bought just the adapter)
I added 5 and 6 below, because Mustart pigtails are cheap:

5. 14-30 Mustart pigtail (240V/30A - most modern houses have this as their Dryer outlet)
6. TT-30 Mustart pigtail (120V/30A - this, in addition to the 14-50, covers me for campgrounds)

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

5. 14-30 Mustart pigtail (240V/30A - most modern houses have this as their Dryer outlet)
6. TT-30 Mustart pigtail (120V/30A - this, in addition to the 14-50, covers me for campgrounds)
I like your additions - the addition of any 30 amp plug type requires an EVSE that has affordable 30 amp supply cable/adapters - only the Mustart and Tesla UMC Gen 2 fit this requirement - my 30 amp adapters have gone largely unused - YMMV

I do not consider the PMC+/PMCC 30 amp supply cables "affordable" - you can purchase an entire Mustart or Tesla UMC Gen2 for what Porsche charges for one 30 amp supply cable - if you are going to go this route I recommend a non-Porsche mobile EVSE (like @Klepper has done)

great kit!!!

Last edited:

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I like your additions - the addition of any 30 amp plug type requires an EVSE that has affordable 30 amp supply cable/adapters - only the Mustart and Tesla UMC Gen 2 fit this requirement - my 30 amp adapters have gone largely unused - YMMV

great kit!!!
Thanks! I suspect the 30A pigtails will rarely, if ever, get used, but they give me peace of mind. Plus, I bought them as "open box" on Amazon for $25 each, so it's really cheap insurance.

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Taycan 4S, '91 911 C4
Country flag

One addition I added was to get the 14-30 adapter as a 25 ft long extra cable. I figured that if you're trying to reach a dryer outlet, it may be a long reach.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One addition I added was to get the 14-30 adapter as a 25 ft long extra cable. I figured that if you're trying to reach a dryer outlet, it may be a long reach.
good point.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
This is an a great idea. I actually did buy an extension cord to use from the 14-30 outlet to my pigtail. In retrospect, I wish I would have bought a J-1772 extension cable (a 25 foot one is about $190 on Amazon). It would have been a little more expensive, but then I could have extended my reach from wall socket to car, regardless of which pigtail I was using since the extension is on the J-1772 side instead of the pigtail side.

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is an a great idea. I actually did buy an extension cord to use from the 14-30 outlet to my pigtail. In retrospect, I wish I would have bought a J-1772 extension cable (a 25 foot one is about $190 on Amazon). It would have been a little more expensive, but then I could have extended my reach from wall socket to car, regardless of which pigtail I was using since the extension is on the J-1772 side instead of the pigtail side.
Yeah, that or just get a 14-50 extension cable (maybe cheaper?) since you have all the adapters to fit to the PMC, then you have a cable that can be used for other purposes too. ?

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Yeah, that or just get a 14-50 extension cable (maybe cheaper?) since you have all the adapters to fit to the PMC, then you have a cable that can be used for other purposes too. ?
With a 14-50 extension cable, I would need adapters for each end of the cable to convert the cable end to the wall socket type (ie 14-30 to 14-50) and then again at the other end for the cable to charger pigtail. With a J-1772 extension, I would avoid all of that.

Sabreliner

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With a 14-50 extension cable, I would need adapters for each end of the cable to convert the cable end to the wall socket type (ie 14-30 to 14-50) and then again at the other end for the cable to charger pigtail. With a J-1772 extension, I would avoid all of that.
Oh, I thought your charger was a 14-50 plug? Either way, whatever works for you. A lot of interesting ways to skin this cat.

Klepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Oh, I thought your charger was a 14-50 plug? Either way, whatever works for you. A lot of interesting ways to skin this cat.
One of my pigtails is 14-50, but I also have a 14-30, 5-15, and TT-30. Attaching the different pigtails to the charger is what signals the charger to lower the amps that it draws.

Defiantly different ways to skin this cat for sure!

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I may be playing with fire, however my only kit, is the Model 3 cable which has remained in the cubbyhole below the trunk since day one. I have 27,000 kms. on the clock and probably half of them while traveling. Only used sparse Ionity and other vendors fast and ultrafast chargers, as well as destination chargers. My PMCC is permanently at home, mounted in its Porsche Dock and has 22kw output although my 2020 Turbo S does not :headbang:. I have been fortunate that only twice I have encountered a non-working 50 kw charger (confirmed with customer service of operator), yet both times I had over 20% charge remaining and was able to charge at an alternate station with a detour. In one instance my delay amounted to 30 minutes and in the other one hour. I live in Spain were the ultrafast chargers are still far and between (although slowly growing). However 50kw chargers are abundant and 22kw almost everywhere.

themickd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo, 2020 Macan S
Country flag
Just moved into a condo building that only has 14-30 outlet. I don’t see that OEM pigtail in Porsche parts but I could be wrong. Can I just pick up a 14-30p-14-50r adapter on Amazon and make it work with the PCC+?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I don't know if the PCC would reduce the advertised maximum charging current it supports down to 24A in that case (80% continuous load on a 30A circuit). If you had the 14-50 pigtail plugged in, the PCC may think it's fine to pull 40A (80% continuous load on a 50% circuit). On a 30A circuit you can see how that would be bad.
Sponsored