Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Very disappointing to hear. I've got a dozen or so stations about a mile from my home, including two 350KW setups, but I have no idea if they function properly. I do know they have been there for some time (1 yr +). Does anyone have successful high charging experience with one of these EA stations?
Those aren’t the ones you want to worry about. It’s when you are 200 miles from home at the only charger listed for miles. That’s the one that had better work!
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
So some updates: went back to the EA location I reported not working 5 days ago and guess what? Nothing had happened, one 350KW charger still out and second kept faulting. EA just spent 20 minutes giving me lip service and supervisor, when asked, said there are no timelines for repairs, that they have a ticket “open.”

Good part is when I called Porsche back I did speak to a supervisor, he seemed to genuinely care and understood why I said this will create headwinds for the Taycan. He knew about my previous call on Sunday to customer care, and took notes of location, and details of when I had called EA. When I asked him point blank whether I should keep reporting he said absolutely. I plan to test in another EA location (their headquarters) this weekend and he really seemed to want to know if that location worked. I urge all current and future owners to report negative experience to the manufacturers, because I don’t think EA management themselves cares. But the brands do.

On other positive note I am still getting range that would be around 200-220 miles in colder temperatures, and I am not driving in range mode. I have also been looking at the battery temperature. It seems the car “preconditions” to an ideal of 70F for battery. When I leave it outside in cold temperature it will drop to 50 or so after 8 hours, the battery has a lot of thermal mass. It is not plugged in so I am guessing battery is not preconditioning. Will test by leaving in cold and plugged in but not charging to see if the car smartly maintains temperature. I pushed the car a little bit and only saw the battery temperature go up 1 degree F.

And the Porsche Connect app works great with the Taycan. They seem to have hit it out of the park on first try. I have seen other EV apps be a little barebones or not reliable, this is not the case. I can create schedules, check status, update profiles, etc and it all works great. And it is quick in updates. Only thing I wish it had was remote locking and unlocking which I sometimes use with other cars, but that is minor.
This is what I meant when I said in a post that it is a management issue!
There are plenty of management systems for mobile networks, electricity networks etc that will supervise and ping every item in the network, and report faults to the centre. Fault tickets will be issued and service people organised to put it right. Probably applicable to EA as well I would hope, but it seems they are not having any service guys lined up. But if they do not act on even customer reporting, what can you expect? This attitude from EA is totally unacceptable and it is good to hear that Porsche seems to take action on it.

How often have you pulled into a petrol station and found several pumps not being operational? In Europe I have seen very few, and if they were out of service they were being attended to. I beli this is a basic requirement if we are going to get electrification of cars a success!

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
How often have you pulled into a petrol station and found several pumps not being operational? In Europe I have seen very few, and if they were out of service they were being attended to. I beli this is a basic requirement if we are going to get electrification of cars a success!
Its funny you should say that, this is exactly what I told the supervisor at EA when he said he had no ETA about when this will be addressed. I asked him how often has he gone to a gas station that was down and five days later nothing had been done. He was just silent.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From the outside is seems that under the current US administration car manufactures are not encouraged to sell EVs. EQC, ID3 is not even sold in the US. EA seems not a serious operation.
Well I know EA seems to not be rolling out as quickly as initially planned; however, I have "alerts" set for several future chargers around me in California and in the last 1 month I have seen 3 come on-line. Paso Robles, Pismo Beach and now a South San Jose. I believe a lot if delays were caused by Utility Companies (like PG&E) doing final hookup of transformers. But things seem to be breaking free now. I am just waiting for a DCFC to open in Barstow which is severely lacking. It is a future EA location.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So on the range topic I drove longer distances today in range mode, mostly highway speeds minimum 65 and some 75,, some stop and go traffic. It was around 45-50F, a little warmer. Started charge at 85% and at the end of 80 miles (with climate on at 73) I was down to 52%, and car showed 133 miles remaining and 34.4 kWh/100 miles. So by my measure I could get 240 miles from 100% (which is close to the cars guesstimate of 247 total range from 100%. This is definitely much better than the EPA rates 195 miles or so, so I have no idea what is going on here. And remember this is actual measurement from SOC not just what the car guesses. So it is accurate. And I was in range but again not driving super gently. I had the InoDrive on for a while and it acts very nicely in traffic.

Go figure.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
And the Porsche Connect app ... Only thing I wish it had was remote locking and unlocking which I sometimes use with other cars, but that is minor.
That might be a security thing, Porsche was not willing to take on, considering what the car costs...

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
That might be a security thing, Porsche was not willing to take on, considering what the car costs...
I don't know about that conclusion. All Porsches are expensive and Porsche Connect offers lock/unlock for the Cayenne E-Hybrid.
I think it will be enabled soon, just not a priority at the moment.
Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns Screenshot_20200131-235436

Oops, I know that the thread police may be close behind me. If this remote lock issue continues I think we need to move to a new thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So I just tried the Electrify America in Sterling (their headquarters):

Good news
- the two 350 KW charges worked and DID not throw any errors. And the Porsche charging app started both flawlessly.

Bad News
- neither delivers more than 62 KW (I started at 40%, battery temp at 65 F, so all should have been ready).

I called them, usual customer service “sorry blah blah” but no real commitment or action. I suspect that they are not negotiating at 800v (which is required for 350 KW) and are backing down to 400, then I am not sure why the Taycan doesn’t draw more. An audio Etron next to me failed at once station (350KW) but was pulling 117 at the 150 KW station (should not have happened). I obviously reported the issue not that I think it matters. I will call and update Porsche customer service, but considering this is their headquarters this isn’t even funny anymore. The best customer service rep at EA could offer was for me to try EVGo stations!

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag

Good news
- the two 350 KW charges worked and DID not throw any errors. And the Porsche charging app started both flawlessly.

Bad News
- neither delivers more than 62 KW (I started at 40%, battery temp at 65 F, so all should have been ready).

I called them, usual customer service “sorry blah blah” but no real commitment or action. I suspect that they are not negotiating at 800v (which is required for 350 KW) and are backing down to 400, then I am not sure why the Taycan doesn’t draw more. An audio Etron next to me failed at once station (350KW) but was pulling 117 at the 150 KW station (should not have happened). I obviously reported the issue not that I think it matters. I will call and update Porsche customer service, but considering this is their headquarters this isn’t even funny anymore. The best customer service rep at EA could offer was for me to try EVGo stations!

Good news

Bad News

Just curious, can you try it again with the battery at 30-35c temperature, that's what they recommend, thanks

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the hint. I went back with the battery at hundred degrees Fahrenheit and it is now charging at 150 kW, but not at the full 270. I still suspect that the charging station doesn’t actually provide 800 V and we may be seeing the maximum read at 400 V.

Curious as this information in the users manual? And is there a way to tell the car you’re headed to a charging station to make sure it preheats the battery?

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks for the hint. I went back with the battery at hundred degrees Fahrenheit and it is now charging at 150 kW, but not at the full 270. I still suspect that the charging station doesn’t actually provide 800 V and we may be seeing the maximum read at 400 V.

Curious as this information in the users manual? And is there a way to tell the car you’re headed to a charging station to make sure it preheats the battery?
Found it online, here is a screen shot

Porsche Taycan Owner Discusses Taycan Range, Battery Longevity, Charging and Related Concerns IMG_7075.PNG

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

See my spreadsheet and video I posted in thread.
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/optimal-taycan-charging.720/
Looking forward to more success if you get SOC near 5%.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you all, so I was at 45 so was in the 150 region. I do wonder if there is a preheated function or the trip planning option will preheat the battery for optimal charging.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you all, so I was at 45 so was in the 150 region. I do wonder if there is a preheated function or the trip planning option will preheat the battery for optimal charging.
The trip planner says it will preheat when routing to a charger, also if you select Sport+ then that will automatically pre-heat battery as well.

OP
OP

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be clear does sport plus preheat without trip planner?
Sponsored