Security while driving your Porsche

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This will be first ever Porsche and obviously it’s a prestigious car that attracts attention. Do any of you take extra precautions when using your car? I’ve owned a fairly expensive BMW and currently have a Tesla Model S which draw some attention. But I would expect nothing on the level of a Porsche. Occasionally with those cars I’ve been a bit wary taking them to certain places but I’ve never taken something else.

What about you long time Porsche owners? Has that ever been a consideration for you or am worrying about nothing? Have you ever decided to take another car instead of your Porsche to be on the safe side? Or do you take any extra precautions?
Sponsored

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
I live in a petty crime ridden city that still has about 10 Taycans on my street alone. It’s not that unique of a car nor attracts that much attention.
No one’s gonna steel it. And a scratch or a smashed window should be a barely noticeable expense if you are buying a Taycan. People street park Bentleys and Ferraris here

ocassionally I worry it might attract a focused criminal as it signals targetable wealth, but again they could just knock on the door of anyone neighborhood and accomplish the same.

I’ve actually found the car gets more attention and respect in rougher parts of the city. People ask questions and are curious, not really interested in doing any harm.

only issues I’ve run into are in the country where truck drivers tend to get … aggressively petty.

so what’s your concern?

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
If reasonably safe parking isn't available I will occasionally leave the Porsche at home and take a different vehicle. It just depends.

It's not so much that I'm paranoid or concerned someone will vandalize the car but rather that certain situations entail more risk of a random incident occurring and I'd rather take that risk with something other than my Porsche.

OP
OP
Henke

Henke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I live in a petty crime ridden city that still has about 10 Taycans on my street alone. It’s not that unique of a car nor attracts that much attention.
No one’s gonna steel it. And a scratch or a smashed window should be a barely noticeable expense if you are buying a Taycan. People street park Bentleys and Ferraris here

ocassionally I worry it might attract a focused criminal as it signals targetable wealth, but again they could just knock on the door of anyone neighborhood and accomplish the same.

I’ve actually found the car gets more attention and respect in rougher parts of the city. People ask questions and are curious, not really interested in doing any harm.

only issues I’ve run into are in the country where truck drivers tend to get … aggressively petty.

so what’s your concern?
Basically a crime of opportunity where someone sees the Porsche and decides to target you. Probably a dumb concern, just curious.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag

so what’s your concern?
I am curious, where is this pocket of affluence in such a crime ridden place?

RehobothTaycan1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Basically a crime of opportunity where someone sees the Porsche and decides to target you. Probably a dumb concern, just curious.
I think you’re smart to be cautious. I’ve owned three Porsches (Boxster, 911 and now Taycan) and generally follow the rule of not inviting any trouble when out and about. Things like parking in well lit area, not in tight places where the car could get scratched/dinged, etc. I’ve personally never had an issue, but a colleague on a business trip had all of his tires/rims taken from the hotel where he was staying. But, that‘s the only example I have over last 10+ years.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
I have a 13 year old middle schooler daughter who does not let me drive her to school in my Taycan because she does not like the attention at drop off from all of the boys when she gets out of the car. ?

Somehow I think that’s probably not the danger you were speaking of. ?

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
OP, you probably have more risk doing the following, rather than taking your Taycan to a sketchy area:
  • Dining outside at a high end restaurant in NYC - 4 million and counting in jewelry stolen from patrons this year alone.
  • Taking mass transit in NYC or any major city
  • Exiting a jewelry store in a major city.
  • Walking down the street of a major city with your Rolex, Breitling etc. visible to others. This includes your partner.
  • Visiting Times Square, NYC.
  • Going the to theater in NYC.
  • Parking your car anywhere with the FOB inside and the doors unlocked.
  • Attending a School Board meeting.
Personally, I don't worry much about where I drive, park or otherwise travel. Its all a matter of luck. Influencing your personal safety by behavior modification is mostly just an illusion.
I see a trend here...... NYC. Simply put: poorly run cities fall victim to crime.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have a 13 year old middle schooler daughter who does not let me drive her to school in my Taycan because she does not like the attention at drop off from all of the boys when she gets out of the car. ?
Enjoy this while it lasts...

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am curious, where is this pocket of affluence in such a crime ridden place?
I think that accurately describes many cities. ‘Crime ridden’ is subjective since crime rates are all a faction of what they were in the nineties, but there’s more crime in cities than suburbs and rural areas. in Southern California I’ve seen Bentley’s parked on the street in L.A., Glendale, and Pasadena, all of which have high crime areas. Even Compton, famous for gang violence, has affluence as well as poverty.

The East Coast has poverty and affluence in closer proximity in some places, but less street parking. :)

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
San Francisco, in particular, has a real problem with car break ins. Some reports suggest that there is a 750% increase in car break ins in 2021. This in a city that had a problem even before this year.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I think that accurately describes many cities. ‘Crime ridden’ is subjective since crime rates are all a faction of what they were in the nineties, but there’s more crime in cities than suburbs and rural areas. in Southern California I’ve seen Bentley’s parked on the street in L.A., Glendale, and Pasadena, all of which have high crime areas. Even Compton, famous for gang violence, has affluence as well as poverty.

The East Coast has poverty and affluence in closer proximity in some places, but less street parking. :)
thanks for your insight but I want to hear about where HIS street is that has 10 taycans and bentleys and ferraris parked on the street in the midst of poverty stricken place.

JArone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S, 17 McLaren 570s, 20 MB 450 GLS
Country flag

Somehow I think that’s probably not the danger you were speaking of. ?
LOL im not allowed to pick up my kids in the yellow McLaren...they are to embarrassed with the attention too!!!
Sponsored