faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
I live part time in Mexico, where stoplight carjackings are said to be a thing. While I've never needed to blow a red, I am prepared at all times when down there.... also, I'll admit my Mexico vehicle is not all that fancy, as to stay low-key(90's jeep cherokee) as well as survive the terrible pot holes.
Sounds like a nice life, being in the warm latitudes part-time. I've only been to the Baja west coast and south end, but would love to explore Mexico City and some Mexican wilderness areas someday. I've got to persuade a stubborn spouse on that.

Avoiding a car-jacking would certainly be considered a legitimate red light running case, with attention to any traffic threats, of course.
Sponsored

ponomo

First Name
janalyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking to purchase mamba Taycan
Country flag
...but would love to explore Mexico City and some Mexican wilderness areas someday. I've got to persuade a stubborn spouse on that.
Mexico is truly an amazing country, and Mexico City should be on everyone's bucket list. I'm so glad I ventured off the beaten path down there, the memories and friendships I've made in the last 10 years have been amazing, eyeopening and life changing.

BTW, I'd love to see some photos of your car in real life!

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
BTW, I'd love to see some photos of your car in real life!
Here are some photos shot at Albuquerque Civic Center:

Porsche Taycan Security while driving your Porsche i-9CZFnpt-4K

Porsche Taycan Security while driving your Porsche taycan-05-04-2021-abq-22088 lower res

Porsche Taycan Security while driving your Porsche taycan-05-04-2021-abq-22177

Porsche Taycan Security while driving your Porsche i-pCGFWtj-5K

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Taycan has a modern look, and expensive but not like Ferrari or exotic levels. It’s a sedan, not a Lambo.

A lot of these newer trucks and SUVs push into the $80K territory. There are a ton of $100K Tesla model S or X around. A $200K taycan looks the same as a $100K taycan. There are a lot more near $100K cars floating around these days than you might guess.

Most people aren’t car nerds, they used financing to buy their car, and don’t have any idea what your car costs.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
what the what ? what was the context of the video?? ?
Thread jack but supposedly the traffic cops told him to move, he refused, one of them spit on him, that was a mistake.

P.S. I'm from Taiwan, how are things there these days? Specifically is there still brain drain and pessimism about the future, are there any everyday differences due to the increasing rhetoric from China, and most importantly do the dept stores still grill sausages and have amusement parks on the roof?

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
The Taycan has a modern look, and expensive but not like Ferrari or exotic levels. It’s a sedan, not a Lambo.
Funny because just this weekend a group of kids walked by and started arguing about whether my Taycan was a Porsche or a Lambo. (The Urus was actually next to it but that garage door was closed.) It gets about as much attention as my Rari did. To bring this back to OP's question, I was also not afraid to drive that everywhere (well, I was afraid of speed bumps and slopes) cause I had a Glock in my Rari.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Answer to OP question (my UK opinion) ..... I used to be more worried in my previous cars (M2 / Golf R / Audi S3 etc).
These are hot on the thieves list and used to attract attention from all the scallys when out and about and at home on cctv.

I think the Taycan and electric cars in general are still a novelty to the crims and I have had nothing but positive experiences since owning the car (pleasant surprise!) so far.

Regards that video.... The guy needs to learn how to punch properly. Lots of flailing punches with no power - which is why his opponents all get up. Body shot is safer anyway.
Just saying from an ex boxer/boxing coach point of view.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would add that if you take up 2 parking spaces to avoid someone parking next to you, you may well wish you hadn't. If overly concerned, park far away from the other cars.
Taking up two spots is asking someone like me to let air out of two of your tires.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
San Francisco, in particular, has a real problem with car break ins. Some reports suggest that there is a 750% increase in car break ins in 2021. This in a city that had a problem even before this year.
Seattle has similar problem, with defunding the police to the point where they officially don't respond to property crimes anymore (the enlightened left city government says whoever smashed your window and stole your stuff obviously needs it more than you do, and last thing they need is dealing with the police). However, I don't think a Taycan is more likely to get broken into than a Model S which the OP already has plenty of experience with.

@Henke, your Taycan might get even less attention than your Model S from the general public. Any increase in risk of crime due to the car you drive is pretty much the same - both are seen as $100K+ cars (and yes I know you can option a Taycan over $200K, but smash and grab criminals don't make that distinction). In some places, like Silicon Valley in CA or Seattle area,a Tesla might actually get broke in more because there are so many of them around the thieves know exactly which window to pop without the alarm going off, while a Taycan is more rare so not as much street knowledge how to steal from them. Also, in some places, like Detroit, a Tesla will get more hate than a Porsche (big 3 hate new competition). I also think a Tesla is more likely to get coal rolled than a Taycan, since the Taycan is more rare and not as obviously electric (which is the focus of the hate for the coal rollers).

ThumbsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Taycan Turbo S; ‘20 Taycan Turbo (gone)
Country flag
Last Sunday I returned to the Indianapolis airport garage after a trip to find someone had spit on my driver’s side window and on the windshield. Gross and disappointing. Fortunately, the car wasn’t keyed or damaged in some other manner, but still….

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I live part time in Mexico, where stoplight carjackings are said to be a thing. While I've never needed to blow a red, I am prepared at all times when down there....
Wouldn't that work only if you are first at the light? Once you are boxed in by other cars, nowhere to go.

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thread jack but supposedly the traffic cops told him to move, he refused, one of them spit on him, that was a mistake.

P.S. I'm from Taiwan, how are things there these days? Specifically is there still brain drain and pessimism about the future, are there any everyday differences due to the increasing rhetoric from China, and most importantly do the dept stores still grill sausages and have amusement parks on the roof?

Nice to meet fellow Taiwanese on the forum! man, im not sure a lot of us can be optimistic about the future with whats going on in the world this past two years, but i would say the rise of a few industries still give us hope.
Recent Olympics, and our battle against Covid (before we realized we aint got enough vaccines) did give us something to be proud of.

Re: China, not too much difference day-to-day, as people are kind of numb from the fear already,

As for department stores, I am sure the sausages are still there. I moved back about 5 years ago, and do miss the US from time to time, especially the MSRP on cars!

Olle-swe

First Name
Olle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Coupe GTS
Country flag
It is getting pretty ”usual” here in Sweden with car robberies, where some guys confronts you in the car telling you to hand over the keys and car.

the car is then shipped to eastern Europe.

I cannot say that I am super scared where I usually drive my cars, but sometimes I keep a cars distance to the car infront of mand always with the gearbox in drive mode, so that I can floor it if anyone comes up to you.

is this phenomenon not usual in the states?
Sponsored