ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A video pointing out quirks of the Taycan with several incorrect or half correct complaints.

(Edit 4/5/2020)
I see that I received no reactions on this post and in contemplation I realize it may look like a troll-like post which I too am sensitive too. I certainly didn't mean it that way, I co posted here as Nick it a well followed YouTuber. Just wanted to make my intent clear.
Also I post this in our Taycan forum because I am quite sure these items are petty but and certainly not affecting my order on the Taycan. But as I have only had a few test drives I couldn't answer well on just how petty they are.
(End edit)

I would love Taycan owners (like @Rekool3 @louv @epirali @Mission4S @HK111) to give feedback on 3 items.
The complaint that it drops in 1st gear when toodling around at 30-50mph. I thought it would only be in 1st during hard accelerations and speeds below about 50.
Can the front vent direction be controlled with reasonable precision?
And also how bothersome is the slopped B Pillar?

Porsche Taycan Turbo S the quirks and all
By Nick Murray (A Porsche owner)
Sponsored

Last edited:

EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I've had my car for about a month now. The only gear issue I've noticed is that sometimes I'll feel like a little clunk when traveling a lowish speeds. It's not hard to drive at lower speeds but the gear shift feel is not great. I can confirm though that it is a bit tricky to get into the car. Not a big deal, but tricky.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you @EVOG, appreciate the feedback. I had only done 2 test-drives and recall dropping into the seat some but not really thought about it much. Any comments on ability to set vent direction at reasonable angles?

EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thank you @EVOG, appreciate the feedback. I had only done 2 test-drives and recall dropping into the seat some but not really thought about it much. Any comments on ability to set vent direction at reasonable angles?
I haven't changed the vent direction and have no issues with it.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
A video pointing out quirks of the Taycan with several incorrect not half correct complaints.
11:30 he complains about the B-Pillar and how hard it is to get in and out of the car. Depends on the size of the person, right? I am 180 cm and did notice that but not really as a problem. Anyone?

22:40 "tesla setting the standard"? fanboy garbage video:

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Feedback re:

The complaint that it drops in 1st gear when toodling around at 30-50mph. I thought it would only be in 1st during hard accelerations and speeds below about 50.

Can the front vent direction be controlled with reasonable precision?

And also how bothersome is the slopped B Pillar?
If you are in Normal mode, you’ll never notice the 2-speed transmission. If you are in Sport or Sport+, it will drop into first gear frequently if you it give any decent amount of throttle at low speeds. I expect the reviewer had it in Sport+ (I haven’t watched the video yet)

I found I could point the vents wherever I needed. It’s odd to do it in software, but you get used to it. The problem is keeping new passengers from grabbing the vents and maybe breaking things.

I have zero problems getting in and out of the car. B pillar is not a problem. (I’m 6 foot, 140 pounds). My 82 year old mother thought the seats were kind of low. So we raised her seat. Problem solved.

Note: I drove a BMW i8 as my daily driver for four years. Coming from that car to the Taycan... The Taycan is EASY to get in and out of. :)

Rekool3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2020 911 Carrera 4S
Sorry, a bit slow on the uptake.
I drive in normal mode quite a bit so I have no issues with the dropping into 1st gear at slow speeds. I have only rarely noticed it. I drive my 911 with it in manual shift mode and use 1st gear routinely, so no big deal for me.

Getting in and out of the Taycan is a bit tighter than my 911. I stand 6' 2", so I'm used to a certain tuck move to enter both cars. Just a bit tighter past the B Pillar on the Taycan. I use the comfort exit setting so my seat slips back, and the steering wheel up when I exit. Same placement when I enter, so an easy thing to get used to.

I have no issues with the vent direction. I have yet to try and change it, and frankly don't see the issue here.
I tend to look for what I love about my cars, not what's to dislike.
Just a glass-half-full kinda guy.

Simply a wonderful car!

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Perhaps they have the memory set to full back which is supposed to make it easier to get out, but in reality is making it harder.

Chuck J

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Sorry I haven't been on much, a bit hectic at work (I know, right?)

I didn't watch the video but here are my thoughts.

- No I have no issue getting in and out. But then again I get in and out of cars that require a ballet (i8, Roadster, Alfa), so the Taycan is a luxury for me. But it really is a non issue and I am 5'10"

- The vents are amazing imo, I can "direct" the airflow where I want (I can tell by the heat) but no direct blowing at a point. So I have no idea what the complaint would be.

- Ok maybe its just my car, but I have no issues about dropping into 1st gear. I am pretty sensitive to these things, and I drive in Normal and Sport/Sport+ and I have not once noticed anything even when accelerating hard (which I do a lot) that I would say was strange or bad. In fact I have to kind of have passengers pay attention to notice it is a 2 speed.

I'll watch the video when I have time. BTW I am currently away from my car, it is the side effect of the current travel restrictions...

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Ok watching it, more comments:

- He says the Model S and Taycan drive similarly, sorry for me that is already a disqualifies for his opinion. There is nothing similar to driving the performance Model S and the Taycan, the Model S is numb, feels heavy and doesn’t really handle well. The Taycan on the other hand hides its weight, handles amazingly well until it just can‘t from mass, and it scalpel precise feeling (opposite of numb).

- Sorry, but lot less words, more edits, or more content.

- Ok watching him get in what he calls “being a gymnast” getting in and out tells me he should maybe be a little bit more active?

- He thinks the Taycan in an SUV from what he says, it really isn’t, it is closer to sporty than sedan. I think he just doesn’t accept that. If you want a large Sedan or SUV this is not the car for you.

- He complains about the button reduction. I for one thought the “old” Porsche button-a-palooza was overloaded and unattractive. So its a matter of opinion. Taycan is the first modern Porsche where I like the interior design.

- I do not find the soft controls “fiddly.”

- Ok now he is complaining about how to open the center console where they have hidden the button nicely. Huh?

- By the time he got to climate I bailed. I think he is confusing what he likes/doesn’t like with bad design or lack of function. He has every right to prefer ”knobs and buttons” just like some people like loud engines and exhaust. But to say its a “flaw” or general annoyance is kind of pushing it.

So I say maybe watch and see if you are more in his world of opinion. But I have a feeling if you are the Taycan is not the car for you. To me its a little like saying how you miss the nice rotary dial and the curly cord on your home phone with your latest iPhone...

Mmcdonough

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tycan
Country flag
I've had my car for about a month now. The only gear issue I've noticed is that sometimes I'll feel like a little clunk when traveling a lowish speeds. It's not hard to drive at lower speeds but the gear shift feel is not great. I can confirm though that it is a bit tricky to get into the car. Not a big deal, but tricky.
I hear the clunk as well I have determined that the spoiler is just returning into its nested position. I’m planning on having it looked at
Sponsored