[North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
with apologies to @JohnK since he thinks I'm posting too much

thanks to @JP38 for the following update:
UPDATE: if you disable "idle power off" via the PMCC's settings webportal - it's been reported the AMP settings will not be temporary - but will be preserved as long as the unit does not lose grid power - this is good news and can be considered a work around -although at the cost of some minor increase in power consumption since the PMCC will no longer shutdown when idle - screen shot of the PMCC web port with this setting enabled is in this post #201 on this thread- https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/page-14#post-190863]
measurement of a idle unit with sleep mode disabled show it idles at 8 watts - this is approximately a "cost" of 68 kwh/annually to disable this feature of the PMCC - I have confirmed a unit with sleep mode enabled draws 0 watts when asleep - so it's an 8 watt "delta" to disable sleep mode - which = 68 kWh/annually. details in post #207 - https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...pmcc-via-ota-update.12791/page-14#post-190881
here is summary of the facts so far:
  • Porsche pushed OTA update for the PMCC version 3014 in the past couple of days
  • this version sets your PMCC's default charge rate to 20 amps - this will charge any EV/Hybrid slower than the original 40 amp specification (or 24 amp spec if you're using a NEMA xx-30 supply cable)
  • this makes the default charge rate 4.8 kW - NOT 9.6 kW
  • this setting can be temporarily overridden via the LCD setting pages on the PMCC's LCD screen - but this setting will be "lost" if the PMCC is powered down or unplugged
    • the PMCC's webportal also can set this value higher - but again it's only temporary
  • in my case logging in with the "home" user name password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not "retain" the setting across reboots - I tested this with my unit software version 3014 - using chrome on MacOS
  • in my case logging in with the "customer service" user name and password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not retain the settings across a reboot - I tested this with my unit software version 3014
  • connecting to the unit's webportal is tricky for the average user - since default browser security settings these days tend to refuse to connect to websites with self signed SSL certficates…this is a hurdle for the average user - but problem doesn't matter because the webportal override is temporary just like the LCD screen settings.
  • after the OTA update is initially installed the LCD screen charger rate setting screen is Locked and no adjustment can be made - it's been reported that simply rebooting the PMCC restores the ability to temporarily adjust charge rate - but still the adjustment is lost each time the PMCC powers back on and the 20 amp default is restored.
  • this update appears to only affect North American units - European PMCC's still appear to be the excellent product years of data and positive customer experience have indicated and no change in charging behavior in these units is apparent or reported at this time - this so far only appears to affect North American units
    • also this change only affects PMCC units (the one's with WiFi and an LCD screen) - if your Porsche EVSE does not have an LCD screen then so far your specific unit is not affected by this change (since it doesn't have OTA software updates).
  • Release notes have not yet been provided - but may be posted when the update image is posted on Porsche's PMCC downloads site - thanks to @AndiL for this suggestion
  • I have not yet discovered a method to adjust the charge rate overrides the default 20 amp value across a PMCC reboot or idle shut down
  • Unless you manually adjust the charging rate each time you use your PMCC it is now effectively a 4.8 kW EVSE vs. it's original 9.6 kW specifcation - and it can only temporarily be adjusted above it's new default 4.8 kW charging rate.
  • given that nature of this sort of change reasoned speculation is that Porsche has made this change for safety reasons although no specific reasons have been provided by Porsche.
  • this change ONLY affects the PMCC EVSE - it does not change your Taycan's (or Hybrid's) maximum charge rate - but you vehicle will charge slower when using an updated software version 3014 PMCC in it's default state
  • if your PMCC is not connected to WiFi you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
  • if your PMCC has auto update disabled you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
    • however even with auto updates disabled - if your PMCC is on wifi - an unmodified PMCC will "pester" you with a full screen request to apply the update "now" - you can dismiss this "pester" message, but so far I've found no way to suppress it.
  • if your PMCC has been unused and "off" the past couple of days you are unlikely to have received the update - but if you turn it on and do not want the update you'll need to be quick to disable auto-updates and disconnect from wifi when you power it up - using the settings menu on the LCD screen.
  • no word or suggestion yet from Porsche as to if this is a permanent change pending some future parts updates or if there is even any follow up expected - stay tuned
people who are tired of hearing about this issue are welcome to ignore this thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@daveo4EV thank you for laying out all the details to support a "make whole" response from Porsche, or worst case, a class action lawsuit. In 2020 this EVSE was a "mandatory option" that I was forced to buy despite these critical flaws and what was later exposed as false marketing.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Disabled my WiFi (never used it anyway); did anyone verify if the reboot amperage could be set using the tech login vs the user login?
I just tried this process on my PMCC unit with software version 3014

steps follow:
  • power PMCC unit up
  • wait for startup
  • verify unit is in default 20 amp state
  • verify unit's IP address using network status
  • connect to unit's web portal with "home user" password (tricky to find a webbrowser that will ignore the insecure self signed cert - working around this is another hurdle for the average user)
  • adjust charge rate to 40 amps via PMCC web-portal settings
  • return to unit - plug into vehicle - initiate charging session - verify 40 amp charge rate on PMCC LCD screen
  • terminate charging session with in vehicle charging control
  • unplug charging cord from vehicle
  • verify PMCC charge rate is still at 40 amps
  • power down PMCC unit (I unplugged it from NEMA 14-50 socket)
  • power PMCC unit back up
  • observe that PMCC unit has returned to default 20 amp setting
  • be disappointed
  • repeat process for "customer service" user password via Weportal
  • no joy - PMCC unit returned to default 20 amps after power cycle
  • repeat process via LCD screen settings
I have tried 3 methods to set the unit's charging amps above the default 20 amps - in all 3 cased (LCD settings, web portal home user, web portal customer service user) the setting is temporary and the default 20 amps is restored after a PMCC power cycle.

welcome to your new 4.8 kW EVSE courtesy of Porsche's apparent mastery of OTA updates for their North American EVSE fleet. In it's default configuration Porsche's PMCC will take over 19 hour to fully charge your Taycan if it is nearly empty.

to achieve Porsche specified charge duration of 9.5 hour (see below) - you will need to temporarily adjust your PMCC each time you use it - or purchase an alternate 9.6 kW EVSE from a vendor other than Porsche.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.10.24 PM

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
@daveo4EV: The reason for
  • it's the biggest mobile EVSE I've ever seen (volume/size)
  • it's the heaviest mobile EVSE I've ever seen
is: you can drive over it with the Taycan and it will still work.
Is driving over the PMCC an officially supported usecase (i.e. Porsche will replace any physically damaged PMCC under warranty, should it not survive being driven over)?

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag

• Porsche pushed OTA update for the PMCC version 3014 in the past couple of days
  • this version sets your PMCC's default charge rate to 20 amps - this will charge any EV/Hybrid slower than the original 40 amp specification (or 24 amp spec if you're using a NEMA xx-30 supply cable)
  • this setting can be override via the LCD setting pages on the PMCC's LCD screen - but this setting will be "lost" if the PMCC is powered down or unplugged
  • in my case logging in with the "home" user name password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not "retain" the setting across reboots - I tested this with my unit
  • in my case logging in with the "customer service" user name and password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not retain the settings across a reboot - I tested this with my unit
  • after the OTA update is initially installed the LCD screen charger rate setting screen is Locked and no adjustment can be made - it's been reported that simply rebooting the PMCC restores the ability to adjust charge rate - but still the adjustment is lost each time the PMCC powers back on.
  • this update appears to only affect North American units - European PMCC"s still appear to be the excellent product years of data have indicated and no change in charging behavior in these units is apparent - this so far only appears to affect North American units
  • Release notes have not yet been provided - but may be posted when the update image is posted on Porsche's PMCC downloads site - thanks to @AndiL for this suggestion
  • I have not yet discovered a method to adjust the charge rate that is not restored to the default 20 amp value across a PMCC reboot or idle shut down
  • Unless you manually adjust the charging rate each time you use your PMCC it is now effectively a 4.8 kW EVSE vs. it's original 9.6 kW specifcation - and it can only temporarily be adjusted above it's default 4.8 kW charging rate.
  • given that nature of this sort of change reasoned speculation is that Porsche has made this change for safety reasons although no specific reasons have been provided by Porsche.
  • this change ONLY affects the PMCC EVSE - it does not change your Taycan's (or Hybrid's) maximum charge rate - but you vehicle will charge slower when using a PMCC in it's default state
  • if your PMCC is not connected to WiFi you are unlikely to have received the update
  • if your PMCC has auto update disabled you are unlikely to have received the update
  • if your PMCC has been unused and "off" the past couple of days you are unlikely to have received the update - but if you turn it on and do not want the update you'll need to be quick to disable auto-updates and disconnect from wifi when you power it up - using the settings menu on the LCD screen.
  • no word or suggestion yet from Porsche as to if this is a permanent change pending some future parts updates or if there is even any follow up expected - stay tuned
people who are tired of hearing about this issue are welcome to ignore this thread.
I am slightly confused about this entire discussion as I only use the free PMC. Since there is no WIFI function on the free basic unit I did not see any change with my unit. Am I correct that the free unit is not part of the discussion? When I had my car updated last week all they did was give me a booklet warning me that the free unit might overheat and asked me to put a sticker on the unit. Not sure of the purpose of the sticker other than acknowledgment of being notified about the potential hazard. Since I hardly ever charge at home I have not paid too much attention to all of this. Can u clarify for an old guy? If someone already addressed this in this thread I Apologize.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

steps follow:
  • power PMCC unit up
  • wait for startup
  • connect to unit's web portal with "home user" password (tricky to find a webbrowser that will ignore the insecure self signed cert - working around this is another hurdle for the average user)
  • return to unit - plug into vehicle - initiate charging session - verify 40 amp charge rate on PMCC LCD screen
  • be disappointed
I have tried 3 methods to set the unit's charging amps above the default 20 amps - in all 3 cased (LCD settings, web portal home user, web portal customer service user) the setting is temporary and the default 20 amps is restored after a power cycle.
Perhaps a script which runs somewhere on your network (a raspberry pi maybe) which keeps looking for the PMCC to come online and changes the setting to 40A whenever it finds it?
Yep, I know, an tech-geek solution. ;)

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
They got me too 😕. If my car chargers to target 85% overnight during low rate hours I don’t care. If not….George is gonna be upset.

Porsche Taycan [North America] - this is getting embarrassing - Porsche nerfing/neutering the PMCC via OTA update? E3E0A16A-5951-422B-9D8D-40EFE912F15D

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am slightly confused about this entire discussion as I only use the free PMC. Since there is no WIFI function on the free basic unit I did not see any change with my unit. Am I correct that the free unit is not part of the discussion? When I had my car updated last week all they did was give me a booklet warning me that the free unit might overheat and asked me to put a sticker on the unit. Not sure of the purpose of the sticker other than acknowledgment of being notified about the potential hazard. Since I hardly ever charge at home I have not paid too much attention to all of this. Can u clarify for an old guy? If someone already addressed this in this thread I Apologize.
the PMC+ is not updated at this time - this discussion only related to the PMCC unit to my knowledge - I welcome any corrections.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Thank you

steps follow:
  • power PMCC unit up
  • wait for startup
  • be disappointed
I have tried 3 methods to set the unit's charging amps above the default 20 amps - in all 3 cased (LCD settings, web portal home user, web portal customer service user) the setting is temporary and the default 20 amps is restored after a PMCC power cycle.

welcome to your new 4.8 kW EVSE courtesy of Porsche's apparent mastery of OTA updates for their North American EVSE fleet. In it's default configuration Porsche's PMCC will take over 19 hour to fully charge your Taycan if it is nearly empty.

to achieve Porsche specified charge duration of 9.5 hour (see below) - you will need to temporarily adjust your PMCC each time you use it - or purchase an alternate 9.6 kW EVSE from a vendor other than Porsche.

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 4.10.24 PM.png
thank you for the diligence on the testing! I guess I’ll be leaving the WiFi and update stuff both off for now. I don’t really use the WiFi link anyway; I changed mine to 30A some time ago and not had any issues with it getting warm. Most of the time 20A wouldn’t be a concern; but I don’t like it being forced on me.

Richard

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
To play devil's advocate for a moment, this "problem" is partly of your own making. If you had left it at 20A it still would have had plenty of time to charge to your desired state of charge by your departure time. It would have just had to start a bit sooner. But even with the power blip it would have resumed and been ready to go. Your attempt to "outsmart" it by overriding to 40A is what caused the problem.
we were sold a unit capable of 40+ amp charging not one that has been retarded to 20amp service

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

• this setting can be temporarily overridden via the LCD setting pages on the PMCC's LCD screen - but this setting will be "lost" if the PMCC is powered down or unplugged
    • the PMCC's webportal also can set this value higher - but again it's only temporary
  • in my case logging in with the "home" user name password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not "retain" the setting across reboots - I tested this with my unit software version 3014 - using chrome on MacOS
  • in my case logging in with the "customer service" user name and password and setting the amps to 40 amps does not retain the settings across a reboot - I tested this with my unit software version 3014
  • connecting to the unit's webportal is tricky for the average user - since default browser security settings these days tend to refuse to connect to websites with self signed SSL certficates…this is a hurdle for the average user - but problem doesn't matter because the webportal override is temporary just like the LCD screen settings.
  • after the OTA update is initially installed the LCD screen charger rate setting screen is Locked and no adjustment can be made - it's been reported that simply rebooting the PMCC restores the ability to temporarily adjust charge rate - but still the adjustment is lost each time the PMCC powers back on and the 20 amp default is restored.
  • this update appears to only affect North American units - European PMCC's still appear to be the excellent product years of data and positive customer experience have indicated and no change in charging behavior in these units is apparent or reported at this time - this so far only appears to affect North American units
    • also this change only affects PMCC units (the one's with WiFi and an LCD screen) - if your Porsche EVSE does not have an LCD screen then so far your specific unit is not affected by this change (since it doesn't have OTA software updates).
  • I have not yet discovered a method to adjust the charge rate overrides the default 20 amp value across a PMCC reboot or idle shut down
  • Unless you manually adjust the charging rate each time you use your PMCC it is now effectively a 4.8 kW EVSE vs. it's original 9.6 kW specifcation - and it can only temporarily be adjusted above it's new default 4.8 kW charging rate.
  • this change ONLY affects the PMCC EVSE - it does not change your Taycan's (or Hybrid's) maximum charge rate - but you vehicle will charge slower when using an updated software version 3014 PMCC in it's default state
  • if your PMCC is not connected to WiFi you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
  • if your PMCC has auto update disabled you are unlikely to have received the update - so no change in behavior for you
    • however even with auto updates disabled - if your PMCC is on wifi - an unmodified PMCC will "pester" you with a full screen request to apply the update "now" - you can dismiss this "pester" message, but so far I've found no way to suppress it.
Dave -

First, I don't think you're posting too much about this issue. We all bought a $1,120 EVSE from Porsche and the damn thing doesn't work as spec-ed.

I took an earlier message you wrote and updated it to send to my service advisor, to Porsche NA Customer Support, and to the Sales Rep who sold me the car. Here is the message in case anyone want to send something similar.

[Service Advisor]:

I’m sending this to you with cc: to [Sales Person] and Porsche Customer support at Porsche NA. I ask that you forward this to the folks at [Dealer] Porsche who deal with issues of this sort.

As you are aware, the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) has known heating problems. When my car was in for service this past week for the ANA6 PMC Software upgrade, you indicated that the PMCC was fixed as well. I was excited about that at the time, but not now.

When I got home and the updated PMCC connected to the Internet, a Software update was installed, bringing the PMCC to Version 3014 (vs. Previous version 2934). This new software contains a reduction in charging amperage, which now defaults to 20 amps instead of the max rated 40 amps.

I have successfully overridden the 20 amp default charge rate back up to 32 Amps (a rate that poses no overheating problems), but apparently this setting is NOT SAVED and when the PMCC is idle (unplugged from vehicle or powered down via the power button) it reverts back to the 20 amp setting. To describe this as awkward and a terrible user experience is an understatement. Essentially I have a 20 Amp, 240 Volt Level 2 charger that is only capable of charging at 4,800 KW vs the spec of 9,600 KW, doubling charging time.

Please express my disappointment to Porsche North America. I paid $1,120 for the PMCC, and it now functions no better than a $200 charger that I could buy on Amazon. In fact, it is hard to find a EVSE that performs this poorly at any price. Most EVSEs that provide 240V at 40 Amp cost between $600 and $700. I can even get a hardwired EVSE that provide up to 50A for $600.

I look forward to any long term response that restores the fully documented and specified charging rate of 9.6 kW that was listed as the technical specifications of the vehicle and charger when it was purchased. If that is not possible then I would accept a refund and will return the unit to Porsche.

Please let me know what Porsche intends to do about this issue.

Best regards,

Techwizard100

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
so team - your $1120 North American 40 amp PMCC/Outdoor-grill/Toaster is now being updated via OTA update to a restricted 20 amps with _NO_ override possible to restore full 40 amp capacity that has to be reset after each power cycle on/off before you charge your vehicle.

Cayenne forum owners are claiming OTA update for PMCC now forces their max charge rate to 20 amps - with no settings override possible…[UPDATE - they are wrong - it now defaults to 20 amps and can be overridden, but the override has be performed after each power cycle of the PMCC]

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-9y0-2019/1315124-cayenne-e-hybrid-charger.html#post18376686

can anyone confirm/deny their PMCC is now restricted to 20 amps maximum charge rate?

now confirmed - see post #26

OMG - if they are in fact doing this - wow - simply wow - how disappointing - time to break out the affordable higher quality alternatives - also I'd request your money back if you paid $1120 as any option for your PMCC.

_IF_ true - I have not verified this with my personal PMCC's…

wow simply wow - and disappointing is an understatement.
Got same story from my dealer. Class action?

In the meantime, PMCC now stored away. ChargePoint Home Charger installed and is now delivering consistent 9.5kw to both my EV cars.

p.s. ChargePoint units are selling like crazy and have gone up from 749 to over 900 in some shops. Paid $749- 4 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Dave -

First, I don't think you're posting too much about this issue. We all bought a $1,120 EVSE from Porsche and the damn thing doesn't work as spec-ed.

I took an earlier message you wrote and updated it to send to my service advisor, to Porsche NA Customer Support, and to the Sales Rep who sold me the car. Here is the message in case anyone want to send something similar.

[Service Advisor]:

I’m sending this to you with cc: to [Sales Person] and Porsche Customer support at Porsche NA. I ask that you forward this to the folks at [Dealer] Porsche who deal with issues of this sort.

As you are aware, the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) has known heating problems. When my car was in for service this past week for the ANA6 PMC Software upgrade, you indicated that the PMCC was fixed as well. I was excited about that at the time, but not now.

When I got home and the updated PMCC connected to the Internet, a Software update was installed, bringing the PMCC to Version 3014 (vs. Previous version 2934). This new software contains a reduction in charging amperage, which now defaults to 20 amps instead of the max rated 40 amps.

I have successfully overridden the 20 amp default charge rate back up to 32 Amps (a rate that poses no overheating problems), but apparently this setting is NOT SAVED and when the PMCC is idle (unplugged from vehicle or powered down via the power button) it reverts back to the 20 amp setting. To describe this as awkward and a terrible user experience is an understatement. Essentially I have a 20 Amp, 240 Volt Level 2 charger that is only capable of charging at 4,800 KW vs the spec of 9,600 KW, doubling charging time.

Please express my disappointment to Porsche North America. I paid $1,120 for the PMCC, and it now functions no better than a $200 charger that I could buy on Amazon. In fact, it is hard to find a EVSE that performs this poorly at any price. Most EVSEs that provide 240V at 40 Amp cost between $600 and $700. I can even get a hardwired EVSE that provide up to 50A for $600.

I look forward to any long term response that restores the fully documented and specified charging rate of 9.6 kW that was listed as the technical specifications of the vehicle and charger when it was purchased. If that is not possible then I would accept a refund and will return the unit to Porsche.

Please let me know what Porsche intends to do about this issue.

Best regards,
Nice letter, very nice!

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So has anyone here actually installed the update and confirmed that 1) it does change the charging rate to 20A, and 2) whether or not it is changeable post-update? I was also able to interrupt the installation of the new update this morning and have turned off automatic updates for the time being until there's more clarity on what this update does and what options we have post-update.
I installed the update in the US an hour ago

the default is set to 20

you can change charging rate on the device or online from anywhere from 6a to 40a. Note that right after doing the update, turn it off and on, otherwise can’t set the rate on the charge, but can still do online.

Since I prefer charging at 8a (since I charge overnight from maybe 60 to 80 on a daily basis), I don’t care that it defaults at 20.

It would be good if it remembered your preferred default, but for me that is such a trivial issue.

note Also that any changeyou make is only for that session, since the device eventually shuts down and then defaults back to 20.
Sponsored