Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
As you might know I don’t like Sports Chrono. Not as much as I don’t like Sports Sound…. But nearly.

Why do I have it? It’s free, or at least included, on my nice new ish GTS. The functionality improvement, to me, is limited. The only reason people got this on other models was to get launch control.

All Taycans have launch control. Sports mode is enough for me. Sports plus is for the Nurburgring. I don’t go there and I don’t have cohones the size of wassermelones.

I find the tacked on steering wheel nob ugly. Why not incorporate it into the steering wheel buttons?

But the WORST thing is the carbuncle clock with it’s pointless second hand going round and round and round with the cheap inset pixelated digital clock duplicating the 2 clocks already permanently on show.

Thankfully I have a solution.
No new parts or reprogramming required.

Go to Settings-Displays-Additional Display.
Turn off the clock. The crappy digital clock disappears and the second hand parks at 12 o’clock and looks like a stopwatch should when it’s not being used….. (which it never is)
Also turn off the illumination.

It looks even better at night because you can’t see it!

Don’t all thank me at once.

Cheers. 👍

Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono Simple Improvement EB58419D-B47B-4E54-AAED-A19531D39145
Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono Simple Improvement 34E8A5AA-401C-45B1-BA0A-AE4E393334D6

Last edited:

Tighlines

First Name
Klint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 panamera turbo, 2023 taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Another option you could try would be to use a hack saw and make them disappear for good. I'd probably smooth it out with with fine grain sandpaper though, don't want it to look too shotty...

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It's Porsche motorsports heritage. I'm glad I was able to take the Compass option- redundant with the digital cockpit, but a much more interesting feature than the chrono option IMO.

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I mostly agree with OP, although the functionality of the steering wheel knob is ok (even though it is ugly).

But: does anybody know if the clock can be replaced with a compass as an aftermaket job?

irrelevant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, e-tron, C7 Corvette, Piper Aerostar
Country flag
I'd much rather have an easily-accessible physical control, than have to interface with a touch screen to change modes.

...same with AC vents...to be honest. Not enough, apparently, to choose an e-tron GT over the Taycan.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I find it totally at odds with the rest of the look and feel of the instrumentation in the Taycan.
Solely a heritage thing.

Not speccing Sport Chrono and Sport Sound on my RWD was an easy decision.

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Agree on the Clock. Hate it! Of all Porsche models its most bulbous and pronounced in the Taycan. Other models its ever so slightly more integrated into the dash. I, therefore, omitted the Design Clock from the GTS interior and stuck with the "free" Chrono Stopwatch. Not parting with an extra £476 for something I don't like.
The steering wheel knob is essential though.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
As you might know I don’t like Sports Chrono. Not as much as I don’t like Sports Sound…. But nearly.

Why do I have it? It’s free, or at least included, on my nice new ish GTS. The functionality improvement, to me, is limited. The only reason people got this on other models was to get launch control.

All Taycans have launch control. Sports mode is enough for me. Sports plus is for the Nurburgring. I don’t go there and I don’t have cohones the size of wassermelones.

I find the tacked on steering wheel nob ugly. Why not incorporate it into the steering wheel buttons?

But the WORST thing is the carbuncle clock with it’s pointless second hand going round and round and round with the cheap inset pixelated digital clock duplicating the 2 clocks already permanently on show.

Thankfully I have a solution.
No new parts or reprogramming required.

Go to Settings-Displays-Additional Display.
Turn off the clock. The crappy digital clock disappears and the second hand parks at 12 o’clock and looks like a stopwatch should when it’s not being used….. (which it never is)
Also turn off the illumination.

It looks even better at night because you can’t see it!

Don’t all thank me at once.

Cheers. 👍

EB58419D-B47B-4E54-AAED-A19531D39145.jpeg
34E8A5AA-401C-45B1-BA0A-AE4E393334D6.jpeg
SC is a Porsche legacy and as their marketeers would say is part of the DNA.

I had it in my Boxster S of 12 years but the clock was integrated into the dash and less obtrusive.

I'm not a wort fan but as it's standard on the GTS for the reasons mentioned I have somehow got used to it - I was very much not a fan prior.

An optional compass display as per the CT would be more useful for me.

Perhaps it should be re-engineered to sink into the dash and rise on demand.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
I hate the clock, don’t care about heritage..I’m buying a new EV so don’t expect heritage features. I purely specced sport chrono for the steering wheel button which I agree with OP, looks rubbish, but is very handy

dugbug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 228i, X3
Country flag
Maybe they could one day upsell an oled screen version where you could put a gauge up there

DJ-UK

First Name
Daz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ex-iPace, Taycan RWD '23 lots of extra's.
Country flag
Great thread, and made me chuckle this morning. I like the nod to heritage, small analog clock surrounded by great tech. As for the sound, agreed, forget it.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Like mentioned above for the CT it is different. I have the compass that also shows elevations which is nice when driving in the mountains. And for the CT the button on the central screen is gravel mode not sport mode. The main raison I chose SC is the easy switch between normal and sport mode and second the sport steering wheel. I only use normal and sport mode.

Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono Simple Improvement 2EAA1A24-9493-4B8F-A7B2-623146DF7E6D

or1

First Name
O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Like mentioned above for the CT it is different. I have the compass that also shows elevations which is nice when driving in the mountains. And for the CT the button on the central screen is gravel mode not sport mode. The main raison I chose SC is the easy switch between normal and sport mode and second the sport steering wheel. I only use normal and sport mode.

2EAA1A24-9493-4B8F-A7B2-623146DF7E6D.jpeg
Stilfser Joch?