W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I hate the clock, don’t care about heritage..I’m buying a new EV so don’t expect heritage features. I purely specced sport chrono for the steering wheel button which I agree with OP, looks rubbish, but is very handy
You can do everything without the wheel by customising your PCM Home Screen and adding the drive mode widget - saves having to remember which direction to turn the wheel.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Nobody asked my opinion, but I love Sport Chrono. There's all kinds of must-have options people talk about, but I sincerely wouldn't buy a Taycan without it. Clicking that wheel (which is tactically satisfying to me) from Normal to Sport is part of my driving ritual, and I love it.

I've even given thought to upgrading from the regular digital clock to the analog Sport Design, but I'm not paying retail... so on Ebay I stalk.

joacimli

First Name
Joacim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sport Turismo M22 (2:nd Taycan), Porsche 968, 1992
Country flag
As you might know I don’t like Sports Chrono. Not as much as I don’t like Sports Sound…. But nearly.

Why do I have it? It’s free, or at least included, on my nice new ish GTS. The functionality improvement, to me, is limited. The only reason people got this on other models was to get launch control.

All Taycans have launch control. Sports mode is enough for me. Sports plus is for the Nurburgring. I don’t go there and I don’t have cohones the size of wassermelones.

I find the tacked on steering wheel nob ugly. Why not incorporate it into the steering wheel buttons?

EB58419D-B47B-4E54-AAED-A19531D39145.jpeg
Having driven 5000+ km on the German autobahn the functionality I miss in Sport Chrono is the ability to go to Sport or Sport Plus during 20 - 30 seconds for a brisk overtake and not having the PIRM starting to recalculate the charging stops. I'm only using 20 - 30 seconds of electric power and will then return to Normal or Range mode, it should be good.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
It's Porsche motorsports heritage. I'm glad I was able to take the Compass option- redundant with the digital cockpit, but a much more interesting feature than the chrono option IMO.
Agree.
Compass much better. Shame it’s not JUST a compass. Unnecessary digital numbers and unnecessary digital clock still look cheap and pixelated.
I get the heritage thing but my Taycan doesn’t have a flat six engine or hound tooth cloth on the seats.
It still has telepathic steering and immaculate handling.
Time to move on. 👍

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I mostly agree with OP, although the functionality of the steering wheel knob is ok (even though it is ugly).

But: does anybody know if the clock can be replaced with a compass as an aftermaket job?
As ever with aftermarket stuff probably prohibitively expensive.

Why increase the functionality with the ugly asymmetric Coke Zero bottle top nob while at the same time decreasing functionality by taking away the SPORT button in the central screen?
Where has it gone?
It was there on my 4S w/o Chrono!

Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono Simple Improvement 0FF488B4-3942-45FB-8F35-10850BDFC2BE

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I'd much rather have an easily-accessible physical control, than have to interface with a touch screen to change modes.

...same with AC vents...to be honest. Not enough, apparently, to choose an e-tron GT over the Taycan.
Audi bottled it. Instead of sticking with the lower screen like the A8. Q8. Etron and Q8 Etron they the replaced it with buttons from the A4.
They should have concentrated on improving functionality while keeping the lower screen.
My Etron has the lower screen AND physical vent controls and physical buttons for the Drive mode.
It is possible to make the car functional and keep the screens without raiding the parts bin of cheaper cars.

Porsche could learn from Audi.

As you say still not enough to buy an Etron GT over a Taycan.
Etron GT is an Taycan disguised as an Audi A5 in a party frock. With permanent Electric Sound.
Like driving around with tinnitus.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Agree on the Clock. Hate it! Of all Porsche models its most bulbous and pronounced in the Taycan. Other models its ever so slightly more integrated into the dash. I, therefore, omitted the Design Clock from the GTS interior and stuck with the "free" Chrono Stopwatch. Not parting with an extra £476 for something I don't like.
The steering wheel knob is essential though.
It’s ‘only’ £476 if you upgrade from the GTS interior pack. I didn’t go for that.
I only like bits of the pack.
Especially don’t want to highlight the phoney stopwatch in a bright colour.
Just draws attention to it.
It’s £711 otherwise.
Too much for me despite the fact that it is so much better than the phoney stopwatch.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Like mentioned above for the CT it is different. I have the compass that also shows elevations which is nice when driving in the mountains. And for the CT the button on the central screen is gravel mode not sport mode. The main raison I chose SC is the easy switch between normal and sport mode and second the sport steering wheel. I only use normal and sport mode.

2EAA1A24-9493-4B8F-A7B2-623146DF7E6D.jpeg
That’s the daft thing.
As I said above if you hadn’t specced Chrono in the CT you would have a permanent button on the centre console button to switch to GRAVEL and back.
In the real world this is as useful as Herpes.
In the saloon the button is SPORT and back and it disappears when you get Chrono.
Madness

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
You can do everything without the wheel by customising your PCM Home Screen and adding the drive mode widget - saves having to remember which direction to turn the wheel.
What do you mean by ‘adding the drive mode widget’?
My Home Screen is customised as you suggest. 👍

Porsche Taycan Sports Chrono Simple Improvement 19AB3F2D-507C-495E-AED0-B35573F0B8F4

ChrisLA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S CT
Country flag
I certainly don’t feel as strongly about these things as the OP, although I agree that Sport Chrono isn’t terribly useful. However, one thing that did take me by surprise and actually does bum me out is the steering mode selector dial. It’s plastic and feels SO cheap! How is this not a heavy feeling, nickel or chrome metal instrument? :)
Sponsored