daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I was just been sent this by someone on a Tesla forum. It's in the tradition of Tesla owner Porsche-baiting, but hey. At least our steering wheels don't fall off.

I can't see how a silent update would even work, given the difficulties Porsche has demonstrated in pushing non-silent ones, but I have to admit to switching off auto updates just now...

Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 16.58.17.png
totallly 100% a real issue - in fact it makes hte entire Taycan fleet worthless…but I'll do you a favor - sell me your Taycan for $14.99 US dollars and I'll take this/your liability off your hands for you - no questions asked - I'd be doing you a favor.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
The story sounds like here-say and wholly anecdotal. There wasn't any real proof added to make it remotely believable. Not to say OTAs cannot brick cars, but, there's usually failsafes in place for rollback in case an update doesn't take properly.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
When over 30 members of this forum complain that their car has been incapacitated by an update it may be worth considering to actually be a “thing”

IMHO

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
…Come on Porsche owners and to-be owners ….. this is great distraction whilst being entertaining….. makes a change to not have to read about real woes 🤓 ….. not sure if I’m reading out of context but would like to see a ‘fleet’ of Taycan‘s ….. wonder if they all got delivered on time or filled up a field! 🥸

iant2312

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Unfortunately it's true. My Tacan was one of the first to die early on Tuesday morning. I have had three separate technicians out now... everything from Vodafone, to Porsche servers, update pushed out last night from Porsche. Made a little more progress technician out this afternoon tried three times to do a hard reboot. It's being picked up in the next 30 mins and taken to a dealer. The good news from the technician some do reboot. mine doesn't!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Unfortunately it's true. My Tacan was one of the first to die early on Tuesday morning. I have had three separate technicians out now... everything from Vodafone, to Porsche servers, update pushed out last night from Porsche. Made a little more progress technician out this afternoon tried three times to do a hard reboot. It's being picked up in the next 30 mins and taken to a dealer. The good news from the technician some do reboot. mine doesn't!
Does this mean it is linked to the tracker system?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Welcome to the forum (it's a pity that this is the first thing you have to share). Can you describe your experience in more detail- what exact problem manifested, how has the cause been identified, who (which organisation) has turned out to examine the vehicle and what information are they giving you about other vehicles with the same issue?

Last edited:

iant2312

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi All, I joined the forum to see if anybody else had reported the same.

The car went into theft mode week last Thursday. my fault on a ferry as I took the fob with me when I left the car.

Contacted the tracker people and they tried a reset didn't work but still drivable, called on Sunday as hadn't been reset to be told the Porsche servers are down and they didn't know when they were being reset.

Got up super early on Tuesday morning to find that the car would not start. The middle display would not start. tried the 2 fingers I to engineering mode and nothing.

Called Porsche assist and they sent a technician out, tried a hard reboot and nothing. advised by Porsche to wait for a server reboot that was being done on Wednesday. Server reboot happened, but nothing. sent a technician out on Friday but didn't arrive until Saturday. Lots of calls with various cars had been failing. Others had come on line but Taycans were still having issues. Told that Porsche were pushing out an update on Saturday evening and that should be fine on Sunday (today) it wasn't. Technician came out and tried a hard reboot, didn't work, was advise on his knowledge base that It could take a few attempts. After attempt number 4 still dead. waiting now for car to be lifted and taken away. Nobody can tell me what the fix is and how long to will take.

From all the people I have spoken to, Technicians, tracker people, AA and Porsche customer service. lots of cars with same problem; Cars dying on workshops ramps; limited amount of tow trucks that can do the lifts, was told it would be from 30th onwards with no confirmed date (asked it was 30th or 5th April, confirmed it could be any date). nobody can tell me how long the fix will be or the the fix actually is. They have proved me a Lexus SUV via enterprise at least I have wheels. However, the Tacan is blocking the garage and I need to get stuff out for next weeks holiday.

I have been told that cars going in to theft mode now are not having issues.

I'm interested to know if any dealership has offered an explanation as I have only got feed back from the above. Apparently the service guys in the dealerships have been battered. I will be politely adding to the list tomorrow. I'll update you.

Rambling message but hope it helps. Would be good to have an idea of how many other owners have and are still having problems.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
My car didn’t have any issues. They definitely did some backend server work. I got a message about it on the MyPorsche app. I don’t believe for a moment that they pushed a silent OTA update that is bricking cars.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

The car went into theft mode week last Thursday. my fault on a ferry as I took the fob with me when I left the car.

Contacted the tracker people and they tried a reset didn't work but still drivable, called on Sunday as hadn't been reset to be told the Porsche servers are down and they didn't know when they were being reset.

Got up super early on Tuesday morning to find that the car would not start. The middle display would not start. tried the 2 fingers I to engineering mode and nothing.

Called Porsche assist and they sent a technician out, tried a hard reboot and nothing. advised by Porsche to wait for a server reboot that was being done on Wednesday. Server reboot happened, but nothing. sent a technician out on Friday but didn't arrive until Saturday. Lots of calls with various cars had been failing. Others had come on line but Taycans were still having issues. Told that Porsche were pushing out an update on Saturday evening and that should be fine on Sunday (today) it wasn't. Technician came out and tried a hard reboot, didn't work, was advise on his knowledge base that It could take a few attempts. After attempt number 4 still dead. waiting now for car to be lifted and taken away. Nobody can tell me what the fix is and how long to will take.

From all the people I have spoken to, Technicians, tracker people, AA and Porsche customer service. lots of cars with same problem; Cars dying on workshops ramps; limited amount of tow trucks that can do the lifts, was told it would be from 30th onwards with no confirmed date (asked it was 30th or 5th April, confirmed it could be any date). nobody can tell me how long the fix will be or the the fix actually is. They have proved me a Lexus SUV via enterprise at least I have wheels. However, the Tacan is blocking the garage and I need to get stuff out for next weeks holiday.

I have been told that cars going in to theft mode now are not having issues.

I'm interested to know if any dealership has offered an explanation as I have only got feed back from the above. Apparently the service guys in the dealerships have been battered. I will be politely adding to the list tomorrow. I'll update you.

Rambling message but hope it helps. Would be good to have an idea of how many other owners have and are still having problems.
Sucks for you, but your issue does not appear to be related to the topic of this thread, which was an unsubstantiated claim that an OTA update of some type was bricking cars.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate- wow, that's a nasty problem even though apparently unrelated to the rumour about updates bricking the PCM. Sorry that I'm not aware of another incidence, but it is a concern for me as I occasionally trigger a call from Vodafone when moving out of my garage- I keep the PVTS fob in my pocket and at times haven't noticed if the car has lost track of it when I get out then back in after shutting the garage door . Was your theft alarm triggered because Vodafone could see the car was moving (well, static on a moving ship) with no PVTS fob present?