Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan?

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
So I have the Porsche dealer PPF......

after driving, probably too fast, through highway construction on a roadtrip, we are left with a tiny paint chip and and totally thrashed PPF. I keep joking it looks like a cheese grater was rubbed against it.

Porsche dealer says the PPF doesn't cover damage from an outside object like a rock and we should have our insurance company cover the damage for a smaller than 1/4" paint chip. Porsche says we have to pay to have the PPF removed and replaced.

I'm failing to see what the use of PPF is at all. This is a minor chip and will now cost us thousands of dollars to have the PPF removed on top of the money we already spent to have it protected, because it was done by a "rock or similar object." Seems like the whole PPF thing is a total waste of money. Seriously, we're being quoted several thousand to fix a small paint chip--no dent.

I'm at the point where I am going to take it to a 3rd party place I trust to have the wrap removed and the paint repaired, before a ceramic coating applied AGAIN.

Any insight as to why Porsche PPF doesn't cover rock damage? Any insight at all?
I wouldn't expect PPF to be covered for surface damage in the same way I wouldn't expect the dealer to cover damage to the vehicle paint. In my mind at least, the PPF is there to protect the paint based on the idea that it's cheaper to replace the PPF than it is to respray the panel. It's essentially a sacrificial layer.
Just my opinion, of course.
FWIW I won't be buying PPF because I'm happy that a ceramic coating gives enough protection against swirl marks if you're washing the car carefully and even the cost of repairing a couple of stone chips will likely be cheaper than the cost of applying the PPF initially. However, I'm only likely to keep my car for 3 years, so that's a big part of my decision.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
From my POV i know i'm going to be doing a lot of miles, and they love to put a massive amount of grit down on the roads over here, so it's preventative maintenance on a £150k car.

I've been an advocate of ceramic sealants for a long time, particularly Gtechniq. They're just down the road from me, and i tested some of Rob's products about 15 years ago before they went mainstream. I've personally completed over 50 paint corrections and Gtechniq applications. I have a trade account with them - but it's not my line of work.

But, as much as i'm a massive fan of the ceramic sealents for ease of cleaning and maintenance, there isnt a month that goes by where i don't pick up a nasty stone chip on the bonnet, wings or roof, even with these products applied.

Ceramics are great at making the car look awesome and super easy to maintain and clean, both inside and out, but they cannot cope with a stone being fired at a combined 100mph into a panel.

PPF can... simple as that really.

I appreciate the point re false promises and other enthusiasm, which is why i also agree people should do their own research, but for me it's a no-brainer in my situation. And i'm prepared to spend some extra cash for a "better" looking car for a longer period, whilst hopefully saving some hassle with trying to paint correct every year in the future.

I do quite a bit of "fun" driving around Europe, and i've seen a front splitter quite literally disintegrate due to "road rash" after 20k miles, and the ones with PPF hold together without issue, which is then whipped off and replaced. Much easier than a new carbon fibre front splitter!

I've seen a front bumper from a boar strike (yes, in the UK), which left no major marks on the PPF wing panel that couldnt be fixed, but scrapes on the door which were nasty, and required major and expensive work to correct - not simply just a paint correct.

So, whilst i recognise if you've got more of a garage queen and only do 10k/year in the summer months PPF probably isn't that useful, if you want to drive in adverse conditions frequently or do many miles, it certainly is.

To be honest, my biggest concern is the windscreen. I don't go a year without having to replace one :facepalm:
I agree. The real cost comes from having to Respray an entire panel and to ensure perfect colour match (which is almost impossible because of the natural ageing of paint due to UV etc) or, pulling off the PPF and replacing that one section, assuming nothing has gone through the PPF layer. If that’s possible there is no painting needed/involved. Also, you can still put a ceramic coating (the right type for PPF) if you want the benefits this provides...

taycantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model X, 2020 Taycan 4S+
Country flag
So I have the Porsche dealer PPF......

after driving, probably too fast, through highway construction on a roadtrip, we are left with a tiny paint chip and and totally thrashed PPF. I keep joking it looks like a cheese grater was rubbed against it.

Porsche dealer says the PPF doesn't cover damage from an outside object like a rock and we should have our insurance company cover the damage for a smaller than 1/4" paint chip. Porsche says we have to pay to have the PPF removed and replaced.

I'm failing to see what the use of PPF is at all. This is a minor chip and will now cost us thousands of dollars to have the PPF removed on top of the money we already spent to have it protected, because it was done by a "rock or similar object." Seems like the whole PPF thing is a total waste of money. Seriously, we're being quoted several thousand to fix a small paint chip--no dent.

I'm at the point where I am going to take it to a 3rd party place I trust to have the wrap removed and the paint repaired, before a ceramic coating applied AGAIN.

Any insight as to why Porsche PPF doesn't cover rock damage? Any insight at all?
We took our Model X over the mountain passes last winter, and it seems they use fairly sharp volcanic rock as the gravel material for the roads when there is snow and ice build up present. The Model X also doesn't come with mud flaps, presumably since it takes away some amount of range... so the XPEL PPF we put on there was visibly gouged in numerous places behind the front wheels as a result. Replacing the PPF in the affected areas cost about half of what it did to put the full PPF on initially, so it wasn't cheap. However, the paint underneath was in good shape, and it now looks as it did before. For us the PPF did the job in a sacrificial way, rather than let the paint get streaked with scratches. And we're looking into mud flaps now.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
I opted just to have Gtechniq Crystal Serum applied to the car.

Thanks very much to Ahmed and the team at 1080 London.

I have to say, the service was absolutely impeccable.

Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? 4FC12BFC-593F-4A59-B41D-9B982FAEC8AA

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
Are you talking about ceramic coating protection on the windshield, or something else? Also the panoramic roof -- what's the best way to protect all that glass and make it easy to clean/hard to get dirty?
I'm sorry this is off topic, but which rims are in your DP?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I opted just to have Gtechniq Crystal Serum applied to the car.

Thanks very much to Ahmed and the team at 1080 London.

I have to say, the service was absolutely impeccable.

4FC12BFC-593F-4A59-B41D-9B982FAEC8AA.jpeg
Car looks great! But what the heck is that standing next to it??

JamieG

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Velar SE
Country flag
Isn't the horsepower supposed to come from within the car?

Daniel.ch

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster,macan,taycan
Country flag
A video on an XPEL wrap of a Taycan by BC Signature

Porsche Taycan Turbo S invisible XPEL Paint Protection wrap

Yes, in Belgium, i have already make appointment at February!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Are you talking about ceramic coating protection on the windshield, or something else? Also the panoramic roof -- what's the best way to protect all that glass and make it easy to clean/hard to get dirty?
Rain-X. Easy and low priced. Some products out there provide a lot hype with zero worthwhile results. If you care to spend a bit more there's always marine/glass ceramic coating.

salis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes CL500
Country flag
Guys, how much does it cost to do a full PPF on the Taycan?

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Xpel Ultimate full body coverage with Gtechniq HALO and STEK windshield film.
Porsche Taycan Clear protection film (PPF) on the Taycan? PPF & ceramic
Sponsored

Last edited: