Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Sorry to hear this. I can imagine how frustrating this is. Please keep us posted.

I haven't had 3/4 of the circle work in my car for a while now. Today I tried to change the charging to Direct Charging from the App and it would not take. Are these the kind of issues you are talking about?
The application connects to the porsche server in germany, the server cannot connect to my car and the car does not connect to the application. Thus application worthless and all the data re my vehicle is two months old. Porsche should just hire Apple or GOOGLE and let them design the application and interface. I can get my heart rate, oxygen level in my blood on my watch but cannot get my battery level with my $150 k porsche lol
Sponsored

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
The application connects to the porsche server in germany, the server cannot connect to my car and the car does not connect to the application. Thus application worthless and all the data re my vehicle is two months old. Porsche should just hire Apple or GOOGLE and let them design the application and interface. I can get my heart rate, oxygen level in my blood on my watch but cannot get my battery level with my $150 k porsche lol
Not great! Interesting, I don't get that 3rd circular connection, couldn't turn on the battery direct charging, but I do get my battery level.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The key here is that on the website (not Connect App) the car info (SOC, mileage) is out of date. That's a sure indicator of loss of connectivity between the car and Porsche telematics server. Top two causes are no cell signal (e.g. car is parked underground) or faulted OTA module. Both will prevent completing the circle between the Porsche server and your car in the Connect App, and of course your Connect App will then be completely useless.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I had my OTA module replaced once and two weeks later it again failed. Now Porsche Amsterdam has submitted a ticket with Porsche AG. Nothing heard back since then. Top tip always ask your car back as otherwise you are stuck with a loaner for weeks.
Porsche got back to me. OTA module has to be replaced again. That will be done on Feb 24. Hopefully It is the last time.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
Porsche got back to me. OTA module has to be replaced again. That will be done on Feb 24. Hopefully It is the last time.
In researching OTA modules, porsche has a very high failure rate compared to general motors and tesla. If porsche is knowingly installing a defective part with a high failure rate they could be in violation of the national highway safety act and other safety regulations.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
In researching OTA modules, porsche has a very high failure rate compared to general motors and tesla. If porsche is knowingly installing a defective part with a high failure rate they could be in violation of the national highway safety act and other safety regulations.
An OTA-module isn't part of that.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
An OTA-module isn't part of that.
I understand your point, however, if porsche is installing a component that they know has a high failure rate i think i can make the case that it is a safety related component. E.g. tire pressure, battery levels are safety related. Does porsche want complaints to the NHTSA? Also the OTA porsche installed is designed to provide firmware and software updates. If the module is corrupted and does an update and corrupts the data that is safety related The dealer is telling me they have no OTA replacement modules. They had one person return their taycan and got a full refund because they could not fix the issue If my apple watch can provide my heart rate, oxygen level and other data without issues why can’t my $150k taycan provide my battery level, tire pressure etc on the connect application? The great thing about being retired and being in lockdown due to pandemic i can focus on porsche and force them to fix the problems lol

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I understand your point, however, if porsche is installing a component that they know has a high failure rate i think i can make the case that it is a safety related component. E.g. tire pressure, battery levels are safety related. Does porsche want complaints to the NHTSA? Also the OTA porsche installed is designed to provide firmware and software updates. If the module is corrupted and does an update and corrupts the data that is safety related The dealer is telling me they have no OTA replacement modules. They had one person return their taycan and got a full refund because they could not fix the issue If my apple watch can provide my heart rate, oxygen level and other data without issues why can’t my $150k taycan provide my battery level, tire pressure etc on the connect application? The great thing about being retired and being in lockdown due to pandemic i can focus on porsche and force them to fix the problems lol
Tire pressure is your own responsibility, you can manually monitor that.
Battery level is independent from a OTA-module.
An OTA-module isn't part of the safety package, that's total bs.
The problem is fixable and Porsche is working on it but with this demand of cars the parts are not in large quantities available.
End of story.
Why do you think your safety is at risk?
How can you update the software with corrupt data while your OTA-module isn't even working??

Last edited:

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tire pressure is your own responsibility, you can manually monitor that.
Battery level is independent from a OTA-module.
An OTA-module isn't part of the safety package, that's total bs.
The problem is fixable and Porsche is working on it.
End of story.
Why do you think your safety is at risk?
And what exactly is Porsche actively doing to fix this problem?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't know about you but my problem is fixed so they are doing something right.
It would be nice if your posts were more factual.

My experience is a little different than yours. Over the past 8 months, I have driven 2 Taycan's, neither of which fully worked with the APP, and I have at least 2 friends that have had the same problem for months, so when you say they are fixing the problem, I wonder about that statement.

I am glad your issue is resolved.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It would be nice if your posts were more factual.
I only have my own "facts", that's just all I have.
I'm just answering your question.
Sorry for being only the messenger.
Good luck with your car.
I can imagining it must be frustrating, I hear you. :)

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've had pretty good success with Connect lately. Specifically I've been able to turn on pre-conditioning and initiate EA charging without any issues or even hiccups the last few weeks.

I don't know whether that's a run of good luck or they are actually making improvements, but it's been better than it was over the summer.

OP
OP

Scotty

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4s
Country flag
I've had pretty good success with Connect lately. Specifically I've been able to turn on pre-conditioning and initiate EA charging without any issues or even hiccups the last few weeks.

I don't know whether that's a run of good luck or they are actually making improvements, but it's been better than it was over the summer.
Dee your comments are always welcomed and are insightful. However, The USA motor carrier act does include the OTA module as a safety related item and California also considers it a safety related component. An example would be in Tesla with self driving feature if the OTA module or similar component is hacked consider the ramifications. Turns out my car's problem was caused by the Connect Control unit. Someone posted earlier there were 2 units related to connection in the Taycan- turns out they were correct.
I took my car to the dealer and here are the findings from there technician:
Technician wrote: Logged into the Porsche Connect app and verified client concern that the information regarding charge not accurate. On connection status screen the vehicle not connected to Porsche servers. Ran and sent VAL. No faults stored relating to client concern. Checked PCM and found it did not have an LTE connection. See pictures. Showed no cellular connection. Weather app was grayed out and not clickable. See pictures. Satellite view not available in map. See pictures.Checked Porsche connect service screens and everything that clickable was active. Privacy mode inactive As per bulletin 2017 regarding OTA control unit, performed component protection and additional functions of component protection. OTA unit passes tests in both cases. Vehicle still does not have connection to Porsche servers. Checked the Connect Control unit communication status. SOS button green and no present faults for Connect control unit. Removed Connect Control Unit, unplugged and reinstalled, programmed and now PCM shows LTE connection.Checked Connect Applic and now connection status displaying correct charge and mileage remaining. Weather app now working normally in PCM. Satellite view now operating normally in navigation of PCM."

Hope this helps others having issues. They also did recall fix for the plug connection for water drain hose. Dealer did tell me they are having lots of problems with the ota module failing and are having trouble getting replacement modules. I am happy my issue could be fixed
Sponsored