jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 40i, 2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Looking for suggestions for following situation.

2021 4S in service for two weeks. I use a Tesla generation 3 wall charger and a Tesla Tap Mini for home charging. I have used it several times before without a problem. Last night I plugged in car on the passenger port at about 57% SOC. There is a general profile set to charge to 85%, no timer. I checked Connect app before going to bed and noted the car was charged to 84%, but was red and stated a “charging error.” I went to check on car, fearing the 12 volt battery issue. But, car was not “dead.” The light at the charging port was red. I pressed the lighted button and the plug was released as normal. I got into car and some functions work, such as the lower central display where I was able to see the car is charged to 84%. The pre-cool function also worked. All screens, instrument panel, PCM, lower center screen, and passenger screen light up, but none are functional other than the lower center display screen related to charging status. The instrument panel and PCM show “Taycan” with a spinning symbol showing it is booting up, but even after waiting about 5 minutes the screens do not boot. The car is not drivable.

I locked the car last night hoping it would reset by this morning, but same status this morning. Any suggestions to reset system, or do I need to have car taken to dealer?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry, some additional information on this case. The Tesla wall charger was flashing 7 red lights. Per the manual this means “Vehicle Overcurrent Detected” with the following description:

Reduce the vehicle's charge current setting. If the issue persists and the attached vehicle is manufactured by Tesla, record the vehicle's VIN and approximate time of the fault and contact Tesla. If the vehicle is not manufactured by Tesla, contact the vehicle's manufacturer.

The Wall Charger is wired to a 50 amp circuit and has been in service for about a year with no prior problems. Until two weeks ago it was used to charge my Model 3.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
most likely a problem with the Taycan - will need Porsche service diagnosis.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmm - how would you do that in a Taycan - I'm seriously curious?

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Called for tow service. I was afraid of this scenario before ordering based on reports on this forum..........Two week old car with less than 300 miles.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
Called for tow service. I was afraid of this scenario before ordering based on reports on this forum..........Two week old car with less than 300 miles.
I was using a JuiceBox pre software update on my 2020 charging at 50 amps. Every time I went to charge the car I would get the red charging error in the car (luckily the car never failed). Even when I reduced the charging down to 40 amps the same problem existed. I am now using the Porsche charger that came with the car without issue. I don’t like it as much for a lot of reasons but that is a story for another day. It sounds like post software upgrade there may be a problem with third party chargers.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It sounds like post software upgrade there may be a problem with third party chargers.
if this is true it's a serious problem - Porsche can not reasonably expect people to only charge the vehicle with a Porsche charger - it MUST be standards compliant otherwise you can't travel with the vehicle and use EV chargers you encounter during your travels - it's simply stupid and unacceptable for Porsche not be a tolerant or compatibility with virtually any/all chargers.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
if this is true it's a serious problem - Porsche can not reasonably expect people to only charge the vehicle with a Porsche charger - it MUST be standards compliant otherwise you can't travel with the vehicle and use EV chargers you encounter during your travels - it's simply stupid and unacceptable for Porsche not be a tolerant or compatibility with virtually any/all chargers.
No problem charging with Electrify America. Have not tried any other third party charger yet. Curious if others have and there results.

caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
Interestingly enough, my Taycan stopped charging using Tesla generation 3 wall charger and a Tesla Tap Mini. It just errors out with red. Restarting Tesla charger and other stuff did not help. It can't charge at all. It charged without problems for about 2 months and then it just quit.

This is Taycan prior to upgrade. I dropped it off for upgrade 7 days ago and they broke something during update and now I am waiting for parts. Porsche has big egg on their face with this upgrade and general Taycan reliability. I never had car this long in the shop and I owned a lot of cars...

I bought Lectron adapter to try to eliminate the Tesla Tap Mini as failure point. When I get my car back I'll try.

struther

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan GTR, Nissan 350z
Country flag
I am using a Flo charger for my daily use on a MY2021 with the updated software. I have had no issues... yet anyway. Granted there may a 2020-2021 difference regarding the update.

OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP here. There may be an element of user error here. When the tow driver arrived, he assumed it was the 12 volt battery issue. When I described the problem, he sat in the car and confirmed the screens had power, but would not boot. Then he did something I had neglected to do, he pushed the power button and the screen booted up like normal. No way of knowing if the car had simply reset itself in the interim, or things would have been fine if I had simply tried the power button myself (yes, I felt pretty stupid). He asked if I wanted him to take the car or not. I decided to have him take it in for a check since there was a charging error and I wanted to see if anything shows up when the Porsche techs scan the car on Monday (apparently the "Taycan tech" does not work on Saturday).

I simply forgot about the power button, until the tow driver reached for it. I was almost hoping the car would not boot up when he pushed the button since it was such a simple solution (now we know why tech support always asks that we ensure the computer is plugged in). I have been driving a Model 3 for a year, so you just get in with your phone and the car starts, there is no powere button. The same has been true for the Taycan, which I have only had for two weeks and only driven a few times due to COVID, which means I am still working from home. Lesson learned to remember the power button!!

Of note, I had to reset the Tesla wall charger to clear the red error lights. I connected via the wi-fi connection to check to see if there was any software update, but there was no update. I did note there is a setting in the software that asks if the wall connector will be used only to charge Teslas, or other vehicles. Mine was set on Tesla only. I changed that to "all cars." Not sure if that has anything to do with the error. The instructions for the Tesla Tap Mini states you should wait at least 30 seconds after placing the mini on the Tesla connector in order for the wall charger to adapt to the new settings. I'm a physician, not an electrical engineer, so I'm not sure of the reason for that.

I will let you know what the techs say when they scan the car, hopefully this will be a big case of user error, but we do need to sort out the charging fault. If needed, I can revert to the standard Porsche charge that came with the car, just will need to park on other side of garage where we installed an extra NEMA 14-50 when we installed the Tesla wall charger last year. But, it is odd that I had used the Tesla Tap mini at least twice before successfully to charge the car.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had the same problem with main PCM screen showing Porsche and spinning forever while the car was off. Lower screen was normal. Mine wasn't connected to a charger. It also fixed itself after restarting the car. This is post WM5 update. Does your car WMA6? We are both lucky that we caught it before draining the 12v battery.

See second video on my post
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...reported-problems-post-update.4459/post-62747

Last edited:
OP
OP

jkjjpc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had the same problem with main PCM screen showing Porsche and spinning forever while the car was off. Lower screen was normal. Mine wasn't connected to a charger. It also fixed itself after restarting the car. This is post WM5 update. Does your car WMA6? We are both lucky that we caught it before draining the 12v battery.

See second video on my post
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...reported-problems-post-update.4459/post-62747
You video is exactly what my car was doing.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Does your car have the latest software? I never had this problem before the update.
Sponsored