Taycan software update - reported problems post update

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Is that your opinion or a fact?
How can you even tell what is being updated?
Unless you're a member of the Porsche software development team stop guessing.
Your word is as good as mine.
OTA-updates are for not having to visit the dealer.
All I'm saying.
You can't say anything about what kind of updates, you just don't know.
It is definitely an opinion, but VERY likely to be correct. The track record right now does not likely support the case for providing updates of anything other than data itself (which is what is coming over the air now). Look at some of the experiences here of the dealers. A notable number cannot even successfully install the updates on premise. It is possible that the WMA5 updates facilitated meaningful OTA software (not data) updates, but their failure to even anticipate the variability of installation conditions in those relatively controlled locations would leave any manager very leery of expanding the installation channels to include OTA.

As you have observed, it is great that they have expanded the types of data that they are pushing via OTA to include other types of data in addition to maps (which was all that I was getting before the update). I just think that @chrisk is simply trying to prepare us all for the possibility that we will likely be asked to bring our cars in at some point in the future for the next round of software updates. I would note that you can actually see the updates in the notifications, which is why we can tell what is currently being pushed today.
Sponsored

Jsteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just picked it up and drove the 31 mile route home. This isn’t a problem per se but it seems like there were shortcut buttons at the top of the center console for Nav, media, phone and something else but they are not there now. Did I imagine that? If they are gone, is there a way to get them back?

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Just picked it up and drove the 31 mile route home. This isn’t a problem per se but it seems like there were shortcut buttons at the top of the center console for Nav, media, phone and something else but they are not there now. Did I imagine that? If they are gone, is there a way to get them back?
I don’t think so, there is a column on the left edge, rest of display is filled by content.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
It is definitely an opinion, but VERY likely to be correct. The track record right now does not likely support the case for providing updates of anything other than data itself (which is what is coming over the air now). Look at some of the experiences here of the dealers. A notable number cannot even successfully install the updates on premise. It is possible that the WMA5 updates facilitated meaningful OTA software (not data) updates, but their failure to even anticipate the variability of installation conditions in those relatively controlled locations would leave any manager very leery of expanding the installation channels to include OTA.

As you have observed, it is great that they have expanded the types of data that they are pushing via OTA to include other types of data in addition to maps (which was all that I was getting before the update). I just think that @chrisk is simply trying to prepare us all for the possibility that we will likely be asked to bring our cars in at some point in the future for the next round of software updates. I would note that you can actually see the updates in the notifications, which is why we can tell what is currently being pushed today.
So basically you're just guessing too.
Can't we just accept that we just don't know?
All we know is that Porsche is working hard to get things working correctly.
And that's all there is to it.

And AGAIN: OTA-updates are ment for not having to visit the dealer.
All I'M SAYING!
Why is that becoming the start of a completely different and irrelevant discussion based on guestimations?

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Sure, just push the little button "=" (it's actually three lines) under the word "SYNC".
Hehehe... :)

Porsche Taycan Taycan software update - reported problems post update 2021-04-17_21.06.43

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Thank you - I feel really not smart...?
Smart people ask questions, stupid ones think they know all.
When I picked up my car I lost my battery screen when I was standing at the traffic lights...
I was so happy it popped up again when I was home, parked.
I thought it was a bug but..........it wasn't.
Hehehe... :)

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
nobody except Porsche knows the state of future OTA updates or how extensive they can or can not be. The goal however is clear, the execution process is elusive.

There are opinions on both sides…but there is a preponderance of evidence from Porsche's current track record that leans heavily in one direction. I will be pleasantly surprised if we receive more extensive OTA updates in the future - I however would not go so far as to say the current WMA5/WMA6/WMA7 updates will allow that to happen, and I would not go so far as to expect meaningful OTA updates…this opinion is not based on any knowledge I have, but rather a review of evidence to date and Porsche's existing track record in this space.

let the games begin…

but I'm lowering my expectations and marking this Taycan feature as a clear "loss" for Porsche - one of the few times they overpromised and so far have vastly underdelivered - based on my personal observations and 30 years software technical experience I would also suggest this generation of vehicle will be effectively non-OTA capable for the duration of this generation of vehicle - I'm betting Porsche learned a lot with this car and right now is internally soul searching and making adjustments so that future models can achieve more effective OTA updates…they got burned and do not have an effectively or reliable OTA mechanism currently deployed - it will require hardware, supply chain, vendor changes, and cultural changes with in the Porsche design process to truly enable meaningful OTA updates…

if you take the current cycle for the Taycan and suggest it began in Oct. of 2019 - and go with the average 7 year cycle for model refresh design cycles - we're coming up on the 2 year point for the Taycan - and to date this headline feature (yes OTA updates were part of the Mission-E briefs and specifications) - we've yet to achieve any meaningful OTA updates and all medium and major updates have been fragile dealer service shop affairs - they have in fact been the opposite of OTA updates - they've been precise technician only affairs with process fraught with error and the last sort of thing you could expect a customer to accomplish away from a service technical service bay…2 years in of a 7 year design cycle is about 28% of the Taycan's "active" model-generational life span - so for 30% of the Taycan's market availability we have had zero OTA feature set - blind hope and desire is great, but is not evidence that they've suddenly turned the corner with this platform in this particular dimension.

I have yet to be presented any meaningful evidence that OTA updates will be possible and more substantial given the current dealer applied updates. I'd like it to be so - but have been deeply disappointed by Porsche in this space and don't think the Taycan or the organization is yet up to the task - I welcome being proven wrong for my next update that I don't have to drop the car and get a loan for 2 or 3 days and hope they do not brick my PCM unit and have to order a new one from Porsche Germany that will take 2 weeks…

what we currently have is the nearly polar opposite of OTA updates - and I see no reason to believe we're suddenly going to be blessed with a modern approach and technology with our current Taycan's.

but we'll see -the above opinions are the rantings of a lunatic and should be ignored.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
nobody except Porsche knows the state of future OTA updates or how extensive they can or can not be. The goal however is clear, the execution process is elusive.

There are opinions on both sides…but there is a preponderance of evidence from Porsche's current track record that leans heavily in one direction. I will be pleasantly surprised if we receive more extensive OTA updates in the future - I however would not go so far as to say the current WMA5/WMA6/WMA7 updates will allow that to happen, and I would not go so far as to expect meaningful OTA updates…this opinion is not based on any knowledge I have, but rather a review of evidence to date and Porsche's existing track record in this space.

let the games begin…

but I'm lowering my expectations and marking this Taycan feature as a clear "loss" for Porsche - one of the few times they overpromised and so far have vastly underdelivered - based on my personal observations and 30 years software technical experience I would also suggest this generation of vehicle will be effectively non-OTA capable for the duration of this generation of vehicle - I'm betting Porsche learned a lot with this car and right now is internally soul searching and making adjustments so that future models can achieve more effective OTA updates…they got burned and do not have an effectively or reliable OTA mechanism currently deployed - it will require hardware, supply chain, vendor changes, and cultural changes with in the Porsche design process to truly enable meaningful OTA updates…

but we'll see -the above opinions are the rantings of a lunatic and should be ignored.
So you are also guessing.
But I'll ignore it.
This is becoming quite entertaining.
Thanks Dave. :)

A wise man once said: Tell people what they want to know instead of the things you want to tell.

Please ignore my comments too then.
Yes, I said "please" this time. ;)

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Dee You are also guessing when you say you expect the update and OTA to prevent future dealer visits.
I remember you have said before that in your line of business people who guess are fired. But here is just a forum for owners and enthusiasts. Anyone's opinions, experiences, guesses and even complaints about problems are welcome as long as they are expressed in a respectful way.
I also saw your response to my latest comment that you are frustrated by our negative comments (which you later on edited). Just as a reminder, nobody is forcing you to read this thread or this forum.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
@Dee You are also guessing when you say you expect the update and OTA to prevent future dealer visits.
I remember you have said before that in your line of business people who guess are fired. But here is just a forum for owners and enthusiasts. Anyone's opinions, experiences, guesses and even complaints about problems are welcome as long as they are expressed in a respectful way.
I also saw your response to my latest comment that you are frustrated by our negative comments (which you later on edited). Just as a reminder, nobody is forcing you to read this thread or this forum.
I didn't edited it but removed it completely and replaced it by a more appropriate reply to avoid exactly what you are doing now.
You also edited your comment, my comment on that still stands.
My problem was the replies were not on topic (my initial comment).
I just said OTA-updates are ment for not having to visit the dealer.
Again, all I was saying.
That's exactly what OTA-updates are for, that's not guessing my dear friend.
You made it bigger, based on assumptions.
But let's just skip this silly discussion, shall we?

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Personally, I can live with having to bring in the car to the dealer once a year for an invasive master-update which fixes significant issues and which rejuvenates the car (close) to current-model-year functionality. The OTA updates can then take care on a much more frequent basis of data updates and less significant issue fixes. Would OTA for everything be preferable? Sure, but life does occasionally force us to compromise...

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I've been reading these update horror stories although since I don't yet have my car the interest is somewhat academic.

I don't know whether my recently produced 4S will require an immediate update or not but on the assumption that the car is fully functional when I receive it and the dealership doesn't do something preemptively I'm inclined to ignore any update notices for a while until Porsche gets this all sorted out.

Has anyone else with a useable Taycan simply considered waiting a few months before taking their car in for updates rather than risk being your dealership's first update patient and ending up with a hobbled or, even worse, bricked vehicle?

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've been reading these update horror stories although since I don't yet have my car the interest is somewhat academic.

I don't know whether my recently produced 4S will require an immediate update or not but on the assumption that the car is fully functional when I receive it and the dealership doesn't do something preemptively I'm inclined to ignore any update notices for a while until Porsche gets this all sorted out.

Has anyone else with a useable Taycan simply considered waiting a few months before taking their car in for updates rather than risk being your dealership's first update patient and ending up with a hobbled or, even worse, bricked vehicle?
Your car will come with the latest software from factory and it will not require the update discussed in this forum.
Sponsored