atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Interesting as I read this thread, just hours after signing the papers. :)

My dealer is trading with a nearby dealer to obtain my car. The salesman mentioned several times that my delivery could be delayed by a day or so, if they find it needs a “software update” after they receive it.

Hmmm...

Nevertheless, I’d say that at least 80% of the activity there today revolved around delivering, closing on or test-driving Taycans. So they’re going to have a lot of updates to do.
Sponsored

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
File an NHTSA complaint with your VIN. If you get into an accident because of this issue and you need to go against Porsche it might help..
There is already 3 complaints for stalling.
I filed a complaint with NHSTA and there are 4 other similar complaints. Porsche needs to get on this immediately before someone gets hurt. Everyone else on this thread and elsewhere who has experienced this needs to file with NHSTA. It's very simple, and will definitely help in getting this resolved.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, I just got the word from my dealer and they are fixing the problem. I'll have more details tomorrow, but they spoke with Porsche on the problem and it is a 'communication issue' between the main ICU and the DME for the rear engine. They weren't communicating properly, and Porsche sent a software fix to the dealer which they are installing, and say will completely solve the problem. They said that Porsche 'missed' this in their major update, which is the cause of the issue. They evidently will be including this fix into updates from now on, but I asked if they would be recalling cars that are currently on the road and the dealer did not have any indication this would be the case.

I would definitely recommend asking your dealer about this, since the problem is very serious. I'll post again tomorrow after I pick the car up and have more detail.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
OK, I just got the word from my dealer and they are fixing the problem. I'll have more details tomorrow, but they spoke with Porsche on the problem and it is a 'communication issue' between the main ICU and the DME for the rear engine. They weren't communicating properly, and Porsche sent a software fix to the dealer which they are installing, and say will completely solve the problem. They said that Porsche 'missed' this in their major update, which is the cause of the issue. They evidently will be including this fix into updates from now on, but I asked if they would be recalling cars that are currently on the road and the dealer did not have any indication this would be the case.

I would definitely recommend asking your dealer about this, since the problem is very serious. I'll post again tomorrow after I pick the car up and have more detail.
I am not sure if I believe the dealer.

That would mean that moving forward, WMA5 updates the car to a different software version than what is described in the TSB so it is no longer WMA5 but something else, maybe WMA8.
It also sounds very bad if they know there is an existing bug that can cause a serious accident and they don't issue a formal recall and notify all owners appropriately.

I look forward to seeing what they will write in your service order tomorrow. Please share more details when you know more. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag

That would mean that moving forward, WMA5 updates the car to a different software version than what is described in the TSB so it is no longer WMA5 but something else, maybe WMA8.
It also sounds very bad if they know there is an existing bug that can cause a serious accident and they don't issue a formal recall and notify all owners appropriately.

I look forward to seeing what they will write in your service order tomorrow. Please share more details when you know more. Thanks in advance.
If this is true and they have a fix for an issue that has the potential to cause serious injury or death- they must initiate a recall or they will be hit by a very large lawsuit if someone gets hurt/killed by this known defect.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag

Sounds promising and thanks for the update. I wonder if Porsche can put this in writing as will happily keep mine if so.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Just curious, not that it probably matters, but still. . . only to check if there is any comparison:

Which mode did you all drive in when these incidents occurred? I myself had the car in Sport mode at the time.

Can't get this out of my head and worry about if or when this will happen again. . . with possible even worse scenario. Last time was a close enough call . . . I was lucky.

Last edited:

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just curious, not that it probably matters, but still. . . only to check if there is any comparison:

Which mode did you all drive in when these incidents occurred? I myself had the car in Sport mode at the time.

Can't get this out of my head and worry about if or when this will happen again. . . with possible even worse scenario. Last time was a close enough call . . . I was lucky.
Mine was in normal mode not sport. It’s hard to get it out of your head once it’s happened and takes a lot of the joy away from a great car. I have no confidence left so will give it back or hopefully the above fix will sort the issue.

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

Yes, let’s also see the software version on the car when it is returned and push all our dealers for the same fix. If this really is a known issue that Porsche “forgot” to include in this latest update, they’re even more incompetent from the software side than I imagined. Think of all the additional money they’ll lose if they have to install this patch on all the Taycans in the field given that it likely can’t be done OTA. They have to fix this, the potential liability should there be a serious accident or death would be enormous given they apparently are aware of the problem.

MrGPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, 991.2 GT3 6MT, 997.2 6MT, DB11,560SL
Country flag
I filed a complaint with NHSTA and there are 4 other similar complaints. Porsche needs to get on this immediately before someone gets hurt. Everyone else on this thread and elsewhere who has experienced this needs to file with NHSTA. It's very simple, and will definitely help in getting this resolved.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
I did the same as well. So scary - honestly after many issueless 911's over the last 15 years I had higher hopes for our Taycan. Our AM Vantage I was worried about...and 2 years in...faultless

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The issue relayed to me was that the latest update resulted in a software communication to the rear motor that 'overloaded' the system and caused it to 'shut down'. A 'patch' was received and installed and the problem is resolved. This is not necessarily something that affects all models. This is an 'evolving' situation and the expectation is that there will be some kind of notification in the near future, once the extent of the problem and what vehicles are affected has been determined.

Wish I could give you more specifics, but I'm not sure anyone can do that. If I had a car scheduled for the update, I would wait until they have things sorted out.

Stealthtaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
The issue relayed to me was that the latest update resulted in a software communication to the rear motor that 'overloaded' the system and caused it to 'shut down'. A 'patch' was received and installed and the problem is resolved. This is not necessarily something that affects all models. This is an 'evolving' situation and the expectation is that there will be some kind of notification in the near future, once the extent of the problem and what vehicles are affected has been determined.

Wish I could give you more specifics, but I'm not sure anyone can do that. If I had a car scheduled for the update, I would wait until they have things sorted out.
Very Interesting it’s due to the latest update. My incident did happen a week after the latest update. Hopefully this will evole over time but thanks for letting us know.

Last edited:

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
if this is a new bug introduced in the latest update it explains why the number of reports doubled in last 2 weeks.

There were cases with cars stalling before the update but as far as I remember those had either a bad battery or bad converter cable, the problem was occurring in their first few days of ownership, and a restart was not fixing the issue like in the recent reports.

Last edited:

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if this is a new bug introduced in the latest update it explains why the number of reports doubled in last 2 weeks.

There were cases with cars were stalling before the update but as far as I remember those had either a bad battery or bad converter cable, the problem was occurring in their first few days of ownership, and a restart was not fixing the issue like in the recent reports.
Yes, I asked about that, and was told the prior stalling was probably due to a bad battery.

The good news is that the tech told me he saw the error, talked to the folks at Porsche, received and installed the 'patch', and verified that the problem had been corrected. Much better response than 'just reset the system and it shouldn't happen again...' - that is total BS and the dealer is assuming serious liability IMO.

I've heard of more than a dozen cases now, and one dealership had three. I may have been one of the first to receive this fix, so I'd bet not many of the dealers know about this. Given there is a fix and a way to verify you've corrected the problem, I would insist on this from the dealer and insist they contact Porsche directly. I was told this is an 'evolving' situation, but given the seriousness of the problem, Porsche should get information to the dealers ASAP.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Raedwald

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi there, I’ve had the same issue which nearly involved a high speed collision. The car is in the garage and they have said they haven’t heard of any similar issues. The service team said the problem was with the clutch and it shouldn’t happen again. They won’t put this in writing which for me is not good enough and Porsche are very relaxed about the matter which as you have experienced the same issue you will know it’s very very scary. Did you give the car back as I have lost all
Confidence in the car and will always have the issue in the back of my mind when on a motorway or overtaking. Which frankly ruins the experience of this amazing car.
Yes I rejected the car as I had only had it 10 days. Given people are still having this issue six months later I feel like I made the correct decision and I find it somewhat shocking that this issue has still not been resolved. Surely it is only a matter of time before this happens to someone which causes a nasty accident. I was really sad to give it back after spending plenty of hours figuring out my spec, watching reviews and looking forward to the new toy but I could not shake that lack of confidence in the car.

For what it's worth I then rented a Jaguar i-Pace for 3 months which I found underwhelming. I have since bought a Tesla model 3 for half the price of my Taycan, and I am considering buying a basic spec Land Rover Defender with the other half. I am looking forward to revisiting Porsche EVs when they bring out the electric Macan.

I hope everyone is having a better experience with their Taycans than I did. Those first 10 days were fantastic and I imagine if you have not had any issues with your car you will be delighted with your purchase.
Sponsored