What happened to the 19.2 KW AC on board charger option ?

ElectricSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2021 Taycan 4 CT in Crayon
Country flag
I may be an anomaly but I have the 19.2kW and I also have the plug'n'charge option to check, which has been actually working with EA over the past month.....I don't see any updates, but that is not to say they did not push one OTA???

I have no idea, but wanted to chime in and say that it is not as black and white as it seems....which is really strange. I am taking the 'win' right now, but I did have issues with charging in the beginning.
When was your vehicle built?
Sponsored

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I may be an anomaly but I have the 19.2kW and I also have the plug'n'charge option to check, which has been actually working with EA over the past month.....I don't see any updates, but that is not to say they did not push one OTA???

I have no idea, but wanted to chime in and say that it is not as black and white as it seems....which is really strange. I am taking the 'win' right now, but I did have issues with charging in the beginning.
When was your vehicle built?
Also, when did you take delivery and have you had any dealer-applied software updates, even if there was no discussion of the 19.2kW charger problem?

If the Plug and Charge issue has resolved itself spontaneously for some, that suggests either:
1) A dealer-installed software update quietly fixed the issue. Or…
2) An OTA update fixed the issue. Or…
3) Porsche worked with EA to implement a workaround (e.g. to have EA recognize/honor the bad certificate that was the root cause of the problem).

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I am looking at the window sticker and can't find a 'build date'? where do I find this? It is a 2021

I got this about late Feb/early Mar and bought it off the lot when I was bringing in the Panamera GTS for an oil change. the 19.2kW is listed as a line item option at $1,680 along with 150kW/400V DC Charger $460 and Performance Battery (79.2kWh).

in the first week, I could not charge at any third-party chargers (EA/CP/etc.) I took it in and they had it for well over a week and made an 'update'....this fixed the issue. I am still not sure what they did, but another member had the same issue and I was trying to get my service department to contact them, but they have been unresponsive.

I did not have the car long enough before I took it in to see if it had the options of plug'n'charge prior to the fix (sorry), but checked it after I got it back. It never worked and I just read the thread on "2022 upgrades" and was going to post that it was working for me, but thought this would be a better thread to respond to.

About a month ago, I was using the app to start EA and it said an error on the app, I looked up to disconnect and reconnect and the EA screen already said "welcome Driver" and I pressed the 'continue' button and it charged without using the app. Since, about 80% of the EA stops I have gone to I now just plug it in and press continue.

I am sure this is not helpful as I have no idea what the 'fix' was or why mine works and others don't. But thought I would share.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
once again you are commenting about issues I am having, you seem to have no clue about the issues with my car charging at EA chargers. the fact that the AC charging works fine is irrelevant when I am at 10 miles of range at an EA charger that keeps throwing errors and the EA people say that they cannot even see the car on their systems.
the only conclusion is that these failures are related to the plug and charge conflict caused by the 19.2 kw unit in the car causing the malfunctions.
you are not in a position to know what the issues are, please stop commenting on what issues that I am having
Whether or not AC charging works is certainly not “irrelevant” when discussing whether or not the 19.2kW AC charger works or not…

And based on your last comment about your issues, it sounds like all of my previous comments are correct.

Thank you. I appreciate the validation. I’m going to go have a celebratory milkshake. ?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am looking at the window sticker and can't find a 'build date'? where do I find this? It is a 2021

I got this about late Feb/early Mar and bought it off the lot when I was bringing in the Panamera GTS for an oil change. the 19.2kW is listed as a line item option at $1,680 along with 150kW/400V DC Charger $460 and Performance Battery (79.2kWh).

in the first week, I could not charge at any third-party chargers (EA/CP/etc.) I took it in and they had it for well over a week and made an 'update'....this fixed the issue. I am still not sure what they did, but another member had the same issue and I was trying to get my service department to contact them, but they have been unresponsive.

I did not have the car long enough before I took it in to see if it had the options of plug'n'charge prior to the fix (sorry), but checked it after I got it back. It never worked and I just read the thread on "2022 upgrades" and was going to post that it was working for me, but thought this would be a better thread to respond to.

About a month ago, I was using the app to start EA and it said an error on the app, I looked up to disconnect and reconnect and the EA screen already said "welcome Driver" and I pressed the 'continue' button and it charged without using the app. Since, about 80% of the EA stops I have gone to I now just plug it in and press continue.

I am sure this is not helpful as I have no idea what the 'fix' was or why mine works and others don't. But thought I would share.
Whether or not you know the reason, it’s still good feedback to know what your experience has been. Gives us something to look into. Maybe others will comment with similar experiences.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
assuming root cause for an EA charging station failure with out full diagnostic logs from both sides of the equation is questionable diagnostics at a minimum.

the simple fact of the matter is for any “failed” charging session a correct assessment of what component failed for a given session requires at a minimum 4 log reviews:
  1. log from the vehicle
  2. logs from the local EV charger
  3. logs from the servers the EV charger is trying to talk to
  4. logs of the billing approval attempts
now the 4 logs necessary to properly diagnose a charging session failiure are not available to either the vehicle owner or the charging station vendor - or the telephone representative - so factually speaking you can never actually know why your charging session failed - you can guess but you can not know what is actually causing the problem. This is a fact- and unfortunate and frustrating fact, but a face.

when a fast charging session doesn’t work - it’s a matter of speculation as to why it’s not working.

without these 4 logs any “diagnosis” as to “my charging session failed because” is purely guess work - and given the sorry ass state of affairs with EA (i.e. they truly suck at being a reliable service provider) and their hardware is beyond flaky most of the time it’s EA’s fault and rarely the vehicle - this can vary wildly based on geography and therefore one’s experience in california is unlikely to be accurate vs. what’s going on in North Carolina for example…

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
assuming root cause for an EA charging station failure with out full diagnostic logs from both sides of the equation is questionable diagnostics at a minimum.
Hi Dave,

We are all just speculating here, of course. I used the word “suggests”.
The “root cause” I was referring to, is our collective knowledge that the 19.2kW AC charger was pulled due to a bad certificate and it’s interference with PNC DC charging, I wasn’t attempting to “diagnose” tycannewhampshire’s specific situation. That he was able to do PNC on a March delivery car is notable information, and a datapoint in the scatter plot of of incomplete information that we have.

As a relevant aside, I really appreciate your fantastic home charging setup advice posted here on the forum. Based on my own assumption that Porsche would not re-add the 19.2kW charger option without having resolved it’s PNC interference issue, I’ve added the 19.2kW option to my September allocation CT build, and am adding a 100A circuit plus WattZilla EVSE at home. I’m confident that I’ll have both PNC DC charging plus a stout, future proof EVSE setup at home.

Here’s hoping we will have more concrete information soon.

Chris

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Whether or not AC charging works is certainly not “irrelevant” when discussing whether or not the 19.2kW AC charger works or not…

And based on your last comment about your issues, it sounds like all of my previous comments are correct.

Thank you. I appreciate the validation. I’m going to go have a celebratory milkshake. ?
I am discussing the conflict that the 19.2 kw unit causes, NOT it it works. you are the one who interjected your theories regarding my fail to charge issues.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Dave,

We are all just speculating here, of course. I used the word “suggests”.
The “root cause” I was referring to, is our collective knowledge that the 19.2kW AC charger was pulled due to a bad certificate and it’s interference with PNC DC charging, I wasn’t attempting to “diagnose” tycannewhampshire’s specific situation. That he was able to do PNC on a March delivery car is notable information, and a datapoint in the scatter plot of of incomplete information that we have.

As a relevant aside, I really appreciate your fantastic home charging setup advice posted here on the forum. Based on my own assumption that Porsche would not re-add the 19.2kW charger option without having resolved it’s PNC interference issue, I’ve added the 19.2kW option to my September allocation CT build, and am adding a 100A circuit plus WattZilla EVSE at home. I’m confident that I’ll have both PNC DC charging plus a stout, future proof EVSE setup at home.

Here’s hoping we will have more concrete information soon.

Chris
Which Wattzilla are you getting? I have a 75A Wall Wattz.

I complained to them when I first got it because it had 6AWG for the whip which I thought was too light, but I didn’t get anywhere with my complaint.

That said, I haven’t had any issues using it. Works every time over 2k miles of charging and it doesn’t appear to get too hot. Prices look like they’ve gone up since earlier this year though. I’d buy again.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am discussing the conflict that the 19.2 kw unit causes, NOT it it works. you are the one who interjected your theories regarding my fail to charge issues.
Lol, that’s what I’ve been saying…it has a conflict with P&C, but the charger itself works fine. Which I had to point out because you were confusing people into thinking the charger didn’t work…but it’s all settled now and we’re all okay. ?

I don’t know why you keep agreeing with me in such an angry manner. ?‍♂

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
so quick follow up: where do I find the build date?
Not sure about others, but the sticker in the drivers door is not there, there is only the tire sticker in between the two doors (bottom-outside of b-pillar).

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
Which Wattzilla are you getting? I have a 75A Wall Wattz.

I complained to them when I first got it because it had 6AWG for the whip which I thought was too light, but I didn’t get anywhere with my complaint.

That said, I haven’t had any issues using it. Works every time over 2k miles of charging and it doesn’t appear to get too hot. Prices look like they’ve gone up since earlier this year though. I’d buy again.
For future proofing I am looking at the WattZilla Duo and would get the Current Share option, which is similar to ClipperCreek’s Share2 feature, except it’s in a single unit with two connectors. Hardwired to a 100A circuit, it can charge two EVs and split the amperage on demand. That’ll leave room for the 2023 Macan with its own 19.2kW charger alongside the Taycan ;)

I believe WattZillas are built to order, so thanks for the tip on whip gauge being too light. Maybe I can specify heavier gauge at time of order.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
mmmmm 19.2 kW charging - love it - congrats

I loved the fast charging on my 2014 Model S P85D w/Dual onboard chargers - 80 amps
I also loved 72 amp (90 amp breaker) charging on my wife’s 2017 Model X P100DL

fast charging is hard to beat - and a shared load dual charging system is “da-bomb” - I love it - I had multiple charges sharing a single 100 amp breaker- and could simply plug-in multiple vehicles and let them sort it out over night - which each vehicle getting what it needs until each one finished one by one and dumped the load back to the remaining vehicle to charge faster - it’s a painfree way to support multiple EV’s with out expensive and separate dedicated circuits for each single EVSE

ClipperCreek share2 is great, but they do offer a single dual charger cord split load 50 amp charger - I wish they had that option for all the various AMP sizes, but I’m liking what I’m hearing about the WattZilla - and it sounds like you’re doing it “right”

I can not wait to hear your experiences.