Backup Camera Quality to Improve?

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Anyone has a picture to illustrate what the problem is?
Agree with this. I have driven cars from seven different manufacturers in the last month (rentals), and I am not seeing what is being complained about here. While the camera itself is slightly higher resolution in some cars, I have not seen any differences that materially impact the function of the backup camera for me. Happy to be corrected about this.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here is just one comparison, my 2020 Taycan Turbo S and my wife's 2018 Mercedes GLE 350. The field of view, distortion and resolution are all vastly superior on the Mercedes.

Again, I can't understand people who think that not being able to see as well as other cars 'doesn't materially impact the function...' When you're driving, there's not much more important than your visibility.

As I think everyone can plainly see, this camera sucks.
Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? IMG_1549
Porsche Taycan Backup Camera Quality to Improve? IMG_1550

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Add me to the list of could care less.

My 2015 Boxster GTS had no backup camera ??‍♂

Wife’s X5 is “better”, but this is such a nitpick vs the overall experience of the car.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Here is just one comparison, my 2020 Taycan Turbo S and my wife's 2018 Mercedes GLE 350. The field of view, distortion and resolution are all vastly superior on the Mercedes.

Again, I can't understand people who think that not being able to see as well as other cars 'doesn't materially impact the function...' When you're driving, there's not much more important than your visibility.

As I think everyone can plainly see, this camera sucks.
IMG_1549.jpeg
IMG_1550.jpeg
As you can see for yourself in both pictures there's nothing blocking your way and that's the main purpose of that camera.
I really don't see "the problem".

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The image is so distorted and the distances appear wrong. Just compare what you see in the screen with what you see at the side mirrors as you approach objects.
Many times the camera shows the bumper is almost touching my garage door as I back out but the reality is that there is at least one foot clearance.
The lines projections are also wrong.

I agree that most other brands have better cameras. You are too optimistic if you expect Porsche to improve this with an update... You should learn to live with it and use the mirrors more.

Filback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SLK, 4 Series
Country flag
Guys (apologies for asking) but you know you can switch views - fish eye / non-fish eye - I expect you do?

I came from a Panamera with the same 360 view setup - apart from a larger PCM, everyone remarked on how clear the camera views were - and in the Taycan (apart from a slightly smaller PCM screen) I see no difference. I've not seen better in BMWs, Mercs, others this side of the pond.

Must be different in US I guess.
How do you do that switch?

amazing

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'99 540i, '20 Merc Sprinter 4x4, 21 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree. It is totally adequate to the purpose.
I haven't to agree. I have a Sprinter Van that has a better backup camera. The Taycan's when compared to the Sprinter Van is almost vertigo inducing.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Our previous car was an entry level Mercedes A Class - one where the leasing company removed so many features that in the end we felt blessed to have a steering wheel. Yet when my wife test drove the Taycan, she found the reversing camera so hard to use compared to the Merc that she vetoed me buying it. We had to go test drive another one with the 3D Surround View before I got the nod.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
In my view, it is the worst feature on the Taycan. I can honestly say that I am better of not using it at all and refuse to look at it. It already has cost me $2500 for a new rear bumper cover.
I’m sorry but this is hilarious. That is most definitely your own fault.

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Interestingly, back onto the reversing camera - I have always thought mine was dreadful, but put it down to its position on the back of the lower-rear, hard to keep clean etc. No personal issue with the way the software / guideline works, just image quality itself. Totally different to the front camera quality.

I raised this with my dealer today as the car was in for its safety recall-update, and they looked at it and said its clearly a faulty camera unit and it needs replacing. It is of course...on back order...so it will have to wait. Apparently quite common. so if yours has a cloudy/unclear image, it could be this.

I cant believe I have lived with it for 9 months! Should clean my car more often
Indeed, I suggest always to check with the dealer. When I got my TTS I also had blurry rear view cam. I asked the dealer to check and they confirmed it was faulty and was replaced a couple of days later (they had these in stock).

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As you can see for yourself in both pictures there's nothing blocking your way and that's the main purpose of that camera.
I really don't see "the problem".
OK, by that logic, the brakes stop a car, and that is their main purpose, so why complain about the feel or the modulation? and a car goes forward when you press on the gas pedal so let's not complain about response or acceleration :rolleyes:

The car is amazing, but the reality is the backup camera sucks. Since when do we become champions of mediocrity on Porsche's behalf??

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
I find this thread amusing because both sides of it are correct yet there's so much bickering back and forth.

The Taycan back-up camera is terribly distorted. Other car company's cameras are not. There is no distortion on our 2020 GLE450 and you know exactly how far you are from any object behind you. Same on the X5 and s90 rentals (and on and on) we had. The Taycan camera is a guessing game. Backing out of the garage looks like I'm going to hit every single wall relying on the backup camera alone.

That being said, I got over it in about a week. I have the 360 degree view, so I rely on the top down view. In fact, I rely on the top down view most often, because it is extremely accurate ... the opposite of the rear-view camera. But I also have rear-view and side-view mirrors, so I look at them.

Yes, the camera angle/distortion/view is terrible and also yes, it doesn't really matter. Let's get back to complaining about Electrify America and Elon Musk.
Sponsored