Taycan 4S vs 911 ?

maddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Anyone who switched from 911 to Taycan ? or has both who can tell me what I’ll miss (if I never got the 911). I always thought I’d aim to get a 911 at this point in life. Then Mission E changed my thoughts. Currently, have a 4S on order.

Given that 10 years from now, ICE would be completely out in my area… would it have been better to go for a 911. What are everyone’s quick thoughts ?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you want a 2 door sports car or a 4 door sports sedan?

both are awesome - but in different ways. hard to go wrong, but one is not like the other.

hail

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I recently switched from a 911 Carrera S to a Taycan. While I miss the sound of the 911, everything else is better (for me) in the Taycan. I don't have any regrets.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Anyone who switched from 911 to Taycan ? or has both who can tell me what I’ll miss (if I never got the 911). I always thought I’d aim to get a 911 at this point in life. Then Mission E changed my thoughts. Currently, have a 4S on order.

Given that 10 years from now, ICE would be completely out in my area… would it have been better to go for a 911. What are everyone’s quick thoughts ?
Switched from a '14 Carrera 4S w/ Sport everything to a base Taycan with PB+ and no other performance options. Sounds like a downgrade, but very happy so far. I wish Porsche didn't hobble the RWD Taycan from a standstill, but once moving there's more than enough speed for daily life in the Northeast. I find myself reaching for the Taycan keys much more often than I did for the 911. Just massively more livable around here (for reference/street cred, I used to daily a Mk1 Lotus Elise once upon a time).

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag

NickUK

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A35
Country flag
They will keep the 911 as an ICE for as long as possible, every other car in the range will go electric, so you’ll still be able to scratch that itch in a few years if you feel you need to.
Newer ones don’t sound like like the old ones anyway, so get a 991.1 in a few years’ time if you still have the urge

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
They are different cars and satisfy different needs so it really depends on where your head is at.

That said, since you asked, I sold a 2014 GT3 and bought a 2021 Taycan 4S. There were many reasons for my decision, but one of them was a desire to reduce my consumption of fossil fuels in the middle of a climate crisis. It feels pretty good to fill my Taycan's "tank" from my own solar array instead of subsidizing oil companies at the rate of $4.50/gal.

I miss the sounds of my departed GT3. Otherwise, no regrets.

armanslr

First Name
Arman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2022 Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
If you can only have one, honestly I would go with the Taycan. You'll drive it far more often. I wouldn't be able to have only a 911, the backseats are useless, no room to store more then 2 bags of groceries, and on some terrible roads it can be too firm. My wife hates the 911 as well, its too firm for her.

Get the Taycan and then later when the time is right add a 911. You'll enjoy both more.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Switched from a '14 Carrera 4S w/ Sport everything to a base Taycan with PB+ and no other performance options. Sounds like a downgrade, but very happy so far. I wish Porsche didn't hobble the RWD Taycan from a standstill, but once moving there's more than enough speed for daily life in the Northeast. I
Same for me (a 2014 Targa 4S.) I miss the open roof and really wish the Taycan was a 2 door. Otherwise very happy with EV life and glad to be off the expenses and upkeep of ICE.

schad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, e-tron
Country flag
They will keep the 911 as an ICE for as long as possible, every other car in the range will go electric, so you’ll still be able to scratch that itch in a few years if you feel you need to.
There are a lot of places in the world where ICE is becoming a now-or-never thing. Such as New York, where OP is apparently from.

Of course, the reality is that you will still be able to own an ICE in NY even after 2035, even a new one. It will just get increasingly inconvenient. So as overhyped as the phase-out of ICE may be, it's still a legitimate consideration, IMO.

Personally, my "dream car" was always a Porsche, but not necessarily a 911 specifically. I think I'd be just as happy with an electric 718 GT4 as I would with the ICE version. Happier, if the EV transition means that Porsche finally stops crippling the 718 to ensure it's slower than the 911.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
you want a 2 door sports car or a 4 door sports sedan?

both are awesome - but in different ways. hard to go wrong, but one is not like the other.
Like Dave said...........two different cars. The Taycan is no 911, but that is not good or bad - they are just different cars. In the past I drove air-cooled 911s (kept them for years) and there is nothing like a rear engined car. The Taycan is a very, very heavy car that handles much differently but the power and acceleration is just incredible. Not much tail-wagging but it sticks like glue. I don't think that you made a mistake and I hope that you are enjoy your new 4S. It is simply an amazing car.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
here is what I miss and perhaps you will miss as well (all my personal view, others may differ):
1. engine sound and speed determination through tach/sound (this will differ if you have a N/A vs. Turbo as each 'feel' like different 911's....one could argue that the 'traditional' is the non-turbo, N/A 911-feel.
2. you will miss out on what I call 'snappiness' through tight corners and the feeling of being able to 'dance around obstacles'
3. you may also miss out on the ability to over-steer through the corners, or 'power-slide', of which is more of a visceral feeling with 2-wheel drive 911's
4. you will miss out on costly, regularly scheduled service milestones.
5. you will miss out on paying for premium gas at the pump.
6. you will miss out on constantly looking at small (or large), tasteful, upgrades/aftermarket parts that you feel personalize the car to your tastes, but go completely un-noticed by non-Porsche enthusiasts.
7. you will not be lumped into the stereotype of a 'Porsche Owner' with a Taycan (in my view....you won't be lumped into "...you know the classic DB who drives a 'Pourshh' and thinks they own the road....")............this may or may not be accurate
8. you will miss out on 911-envy/judgement of other 911 owners who immediately look at body-style/model first and then immediately go to the badging to trump each other and when there is a tie, talk about all the options they chose.
9. you will miss out on questions about what your 'daily-driver' is.....then, default back to #8, but with judgement on how well you can afford your 911, or if you are in debt up to your eyeballs :)
10. you will be able to take more than one passenger out to dinner in your Taycan.
11. You will feel the weight of the Taycan, especially on down-graded roads, where it will accelerate.
12. you will miss out on cleaning your wheels from brake dust.
13. you will have to get used to more looks/stares/questions about the Taycan.
14. you will lose some freedom of absolutely not thinking of trip planning when jumping in the 911, especially for rural, sight-seeing weekend drives.
15. you will miss out on paying over $2.00 for a beverage, not be tempted to buy a lotto-ticket and/or not have the ability to use the always adventurous gas station bathroom.
16. you will miss physical knobs/buttons to change drive-train/exhaust/suspension settings.

..........I could go on, but I hope this captures most of them from my view.

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
I just sold my 3rd 911, a 991.1 S for more than I paid for it, and after driving Taycan have a Taycan RWD on order arriving Dec. My 991 was usually not my daily driver, and I sold it primarily because I missed not driving it everyday, and both couldn't stomach piling miles onto a low mileage mint 911, and filling it every week at $70 a fill. The Taycan I feel takes away the feelings of needing 2 cars, and the cost of that gasoline filling every week. Dynamically sure it doesn't exactly tick all the same boxes obviously, but once I drove it and experienced it, I was very pleasantly surprised. Even the RWD. I am a bit of an economy junky, so I love how driving the Taycan spiritedly almost in my mind will cost very little.
That being said, I've had all of a 996, a 997 and a 991- so I've scratched the 911 bug quite a bit. I know I will be back to a 911 someday, but for now, selling both my cars and moving to a Taycan makes the most sense.
Now if I can just figure how I'm going to wait watching TYD till December!

jder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano grey
Country flag
I have had two 911's over fifteen years. First was a 997 six speed manual 911C2. Drove that for 5 years. Then traded for a 2012 991.1 base model PDK. Drove that until June 2021. I wanted to trade it for a new or used 992 but could not find one for a reasonable price in VANCOUVER. Also no allocations to order a new 992 in VANCOUVER. No guaranteed delivery to beat the new federal tax deadline. However my dealer was able to locate a very lightly used TAYCAN 4s complete with extra CPO warranty for a great price. I was able to test drive the Taycan 4s and a 992 at the dealer back to back. It was a pretty easy decision to make after the test drive. After driving the TAYCAN 4s for a few months, I don't miss the 911's at all. The Taycan 4s is a bigger car but it still handles really well (almost like a big 911). The acceleration, technology, practicality and comfort beats the old 991.1 I used to have. No regrets at all. Perhaps for those people that have never had a 911 it may be different.
Sponsored