85 % Battery charging - where does this recommendation come from?

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
Hi,

Someone knows from where this recommendation comes ?

S.
Sponsored

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
A quick internet search turned up more than dozen sites that strongly recommend NOT
keeping a lithium ion battery at 100%. Just search on best state of charge for lithium ion batteries and you can find lots of reading material.....

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
Almost a week with my CPO 2020 TTS. I have never loved a car this much. I smile the entire time I see it or drive it!

I see that the MY2020 Good to Know app and manual still reference 85% for daily use unless more is needed for longer trips but MY2021 changes that recommendation to 80%. The MY2020 Good to Know app has not been updated to 80%, presumably because it needs to continue to match what is in the printed manuals that come with the car. Do folks agree that is the reason or is there some differences in the charging/battery tech in the 2020 vs 2021 cars explaining the change from 85% to 80%?

I know there is some discussion about this on the forum but I guess my question is whether the consensus is that MY2020 cars should stop at 80% on a daily basis unless more is needed, notwithstanding the manual and app still saying 85%? Thanks in advance!

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I believe the manual recommends this. Personally I use 80%. I'm never in a situation where I need that extra 5% so I'd rather prolong my battery as much as possible.

ffm_dude

First Name
Sasa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I had a little note on battery health with the order confirmation. The 85% were mentioned there

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Afaik, @feye charge (always) to 100%.
i’m not SME, but I‘m wondering why not to charge to full, if I’ll drive further when it’s charged?
Or, in other words, if I need approx 12% to come from work to home, should I charge to 92% only?

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Afaik, @feye charge (always) to 100%.
i’m not SME, but I‘m wondering why not to charge to full, if I’ll drive further when it’s charged?
Or, in other words, if I need approx 12% to come from work to home, should I charge to 92% only?
Lithium Ion batteries will deteriorate more quickly when fully charged so the recommendation is to charge to a lesser amount on a regular basis.

And the Taycan uses Lithium Ion batteries from LG Chem. You know, those guys who make marsh mellow toasters.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I have no problem to charge up to 80% only, i was just curious….you see, if we can use the car only between 20-80%, that actually means that our range is 60% of advertised, right?
So we have to charge after every 240km.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Almost a week with my CPO 2020 TTS. I have never loved a car this much. I smile the entire time I see it or drive it!

I see that the MY2020 Good to Know app and manual still reference 85% for daily use unless more is needed for longer trips but MY2021 changes that recommendation to 80%. The MY2020 Good to Know app has not been updated to 80%, presumably because it needs to continue to match what is in the printed manuals that come with the car. Do folks agree that is the reason or is there some differences in the charging/battery tech in the 2020 vs 2021 cars explaining the change from 85% to 80%?

I know there is some discussion about this on the forum but I guess my question is whether the consensus is that MY2020 cars should stop at 80% on a daily basis unless more is needed, notwithstanding the manual and app still saying 85%? Thanks in advance!
Agree

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have no problem to charge up to 80% only, i was just cuorius….you see, if we can use the car only between 20-80%, that actually means that our range is 60% of advertised, right?
So we have to charge after every 240km.
You can charge to 100% just before leaving on a trip. Just not recommended to let it sit there at 100%. You aren't likely to charge to 100% on a DC fast charger as it will take to long.

Reactions: B61

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
You can charge to 100% just before leaving on a trip. Just not recommended to let it sit there at 100%. You aren't likely to charge to 100% on a DC fast charger as it will take to long.
That’s what I was thinking….charge up to 100%, then going home….when I’ll arrive, I’ll have about 88%,….
(i’m awared about DC, just wanted to be sure when charging at work, three phases 400V, 32amp).

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tesla use to restrict access to 15% of the batter capacity to the user and show it as 100% charge capacity. Has anyone ever broken down the math to determine if Porsche does the same or a version that holds some back to protect the battery?

Overall, they both have a vastly different approach to battery management, but Tesla has played with this a couple of times to magically added range with an update. In the same vein, they also take away range in older cars to protect battery life.

In general (I have had both) I think the Taycan is just better overall, including this critical aspect of car usage.
Sponsored