" ‘the Car You Own Forever’ Era Is Coming to an End" - Article Link

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
It won’t make sense to form a bond with a car that’s not really yours and runs on software someone else controls.

Honda outlined its recurring revenue strategy as a technology-driven transformation of its business. “Honda will strive to transform its business portfolio,” a press release read, “by shifting focus from non-recurring hardware (product) sales business to recurring business in which Honda continues to offer various services and value to its customers after the sale through Honda products that combine hardware and software.”

The linchpin of automakers’ new, software-first strategy is turning features into software upgrades, selling them individually or in packages, and installing them wirelessly by over-the-air (OTA) updates.

Although, by legal opinion, courts likely would not allow manufacturers to disable essential functions that affect a car’s intended operation—you know, as a car—anything else could be fair game for pay-as-you-go licensing: infotainment apps, comfort options like a heated steering wheel, or maybe even features that define a model’s dynamic character, like a sport sedan's horsepower and torque parameters or suspension settings.

Call it the Netflix model for car features; even if that company’s hit a speed bump of its own, the metaphor still works. Why have a customer pay once for a car feature when they’re increasingly used to subscribing to things and you can get a recurring source of revenue from them instead?

However it happens, maybe paying top dollar for a vintage, air-cooled Porsche 911 or 1980s Chevrolet C-10 pickup, or hanging on to that Corvair for another decade or two isn’t the worst idea. It may just be the ultimate future-proofing strategy.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-era-of-the-car-you-own-forever-is-coming-to-an-end
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Heh. I've never owned a car forever.

Longest run I had was my 991 Targa 4S from 2015-2021. And I -loved- that car.
Still had to say goodbye sometime.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Tesla does this today.

You buy a fully functioning car and the full driving features etc aren't guaranteed in a reselling arrangement. Confirming the hardware is there is the best you can hope for in the repurchase.

This isn't really new, just annoying.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
It won’t make sense to form a bond with a car that’s not really yours and runs on software someone else controls.

Honda outlined its recurring revenue strategy as a technology-driven transformation of its business. “Honda will strive to transform its business portfolio,” a press release read, “by shifting focus from non-recurring hardware (product) sales business to recurring business in which Honda continues to offer various services and value to its customers after the sale through Honda products that combine hardware and software.”

The linchpin of automakers’ new, software-first strategy is turning features into software upgrades, selling them individually or in packages, and installing them wirelessly by over-the-air (OTA) updates.

Although, by legal opinion, courts likely would not allow manufacturers to disable essential functions that affect a car’s intended operation—you know, as a car—anything else could be fair game for pay-as-you-go licensing: infotainment apps, comfort options like a heated steering wheel, or maybe even features that define a model’s dynamic character, like a sport sedan's horsepower and torque parameters or suspension settings.

Call it the Netflix model for car features; even if that company’s hit a speed bump of its own, the metaphor still works. Why have a customer pay once for a car feature when they’re increasingly used to subscribing to things and you can get a recurring source of revenue from them instead?

However it happens, maybe paying top dollar for a vintage, air-cooled Porsche 911 or 1980s Chevrolet C-10 pickup, or hanging on to that Corvair for another decade or two isn’t the worst idea. It may just be the ultimate future-proofing strategy.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-era-of-the-car-you-own-forever-is-coming-to-an-end
pure fud

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
In the UK, see:
  • JLR Pivotal
  • Care by Volvo
  • ONTO
If these cars depreciated heavily into the first two years, a sub might make sense. I use ONTO, but only for temporary reasons.

When it comes to the Taycan, we on this forum have looked into various purchase methods. Based on high residuals, most finance options on a £125k GTS cost £10-20k more than buying the same vehicle outright in the first three years.

JuTheKi

First Name
Jussi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4 2022, RR P400e LWB 2018 "fully loaded"
Country flag
Heh. I've never owned a car forever.

Longest run I had was my 991 Targa 4S from 2015-2021. And I -loved- that car.
Still had to say goodbye sometime.
I just sold My Cayenne Turbo 2011, The car I was supposed to hold forever. For me 4,5 years, longer than any of My 200+ cars during 30 years, was forever 😁 Missed it one night like My late dobermann and that was it. CT4 fully replaced it.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Folks, this is why right to repair is indeed important. That movement alone will not prevent the introduction of subscriptions for features. Which, frankly, I don't see as the end of the world. But it does relate to the ability to own cars that are increasingly software based long term and be able to maintain them.

I'm in the process of purchasing a used Taycan and took the opportunity to peruse the warranty booklet and came across this:

"Porsche will cease to have any warranty obligations under the New Car Limited Warranty, and you will be responsible for all costs after the warranty coverage ends."

it's impossible to be fully responsible for all costs when some of the methods required to fix an issue are literally unable to be accessed by anyone except Porsche dealers with a connection to the factory system.

Porsche are off to a good start, rolling PCM6 out to 2020 MY cars, etc, and not disabling features when they are on a CPO car, but there needs to be a recognition that electronic systems are here to stay and need to be fully documented and accessible by home mechanics. Doesn't mean I'll be attempting a motor replacement myself, but I should be able to if I want to.

Visceral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 Turbo S. Spyder and CT4S on the way
Country flag
Different cars for different purposes. Some cars are built to be timeless, others are not. Often times it takes 1) a manufacturer commitment to long term viability and 2) your own life changes and appreciations.

In my case I thought an W212 E63 would last forever for me, but it was neither the above. A Lexus LX470 did turn out, and we're now near 200k miles with an intention to give it to one of our kids in college. The 991.1 Turbo S, which I over-optioned, also feels like a car I will own forever. Everything else has come and gone. I have no idea if the upcoming Taycan 4S CT will be a long-term car, but I slightly doubt it will last more than 5-6 years.

I believe that Porsche, Lexus, and Ferrari still make some cars that they believe can be timeless IF the buyers life and preferences allow for it.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
We’ll forever is different for everyone. I’m old so my forever car is a realistic idea.
Sponsored