“Precision” driving around the Silverstone International Circuit in Turbo & Turbo S CTs

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The choice of a 2.3 ton EV station wagon for track work raised a few eyebrows- the Taycan is unsurprisingly inefficient but surprisingly effective (certainly in Turbo form on a track such as this), but the Precision course was a sensible and enjoyable way to explore its full potential.

Even in the hands of a novice, the car didn’t feel too out of place in the company of (non-GT) 2-door Porsches.

Even at their g limits, the cars were remarkably comfortable, quiet and needed minimal physical driver effort.

I saw no trend of better lap times or higher speeds being achieved in Turbo S than in Turbo.

Full charge provided a theoretical 30 miles range driving at maximum effort, before power output declines from around 15% charge.

Actual range per session fell to less than 10 miles due to power output getting dialled back when battery temperature reached 55C.

Ironically, while the course reinforces that smoother is faster, I had more fun when I got unintentionally ragged.

I’d never done track work before, but once I got familiar with my Taycan I wanted to explore it (and me!) on the limit in a safe environment, so a one-day Precision course at the Silverstone Experience Centre- comprising driving style assessment, development and time to put it in to practice on the Silverstone racetrack (which despite much higher speeds is less busy and has much wider margins for error than the SEC’s own facilities)- seemed appropriate.

Porsche Taycan “Precision” driving around the Silverstone International Circuit in Turbo & Turbo S CTs SIC pits

I’d been waiting 8 months to get a place on this one-day course. There were 8 of us on the day, I was the only one not in a 2-seater (mostly 911’s). Turns out I’m the first person to ask for a Taycan in which to do it (though IIRC at least one of our forum members has done it in his own), and as Porsche hadn’t run one on the Silverstone circuit before, my instructor took notes throughout the day about the car’s performance and battery endurance to report back. I was allocated 2 cars (interestingly, one a Turbo S) so one was recharging while we were out in the other, to minimise loss of driving time.

Silverstone International Circuit is 1.85 miles long, mostly the southern half of the full GP circuit, highlights include the half-mile Hangar Straight and the F1 Pits.

Porsche Taycan “Precision” driving around the Silverstone International Circuit in Turbo & Turbo S CTs Silverstone Circuits

After discussing what I’d like to get from the day, it was off to the Handling track for my instructor to assess my driving- we then donned helmets and went out to the main circuit, which was a more effective venue for highlighting my development needs, which were then worked on back at the Porsche facilities.

My instructor did a great job of building my confidence and encouraging my progress. Having someone initially calling out braking points was a big comfort blanket (as was the demonstration of his ability to stop the car with the “P” button), and on such a wide track I’d have wasted a lot of track time figuring out a good racing line for the car’s characteristics, had I not been been guided through it.

Performance

I was relieved that we weren’t in danger of getting in anyone’s way- although battery weight made it less nimble than the sportscars through the twisty bits, the Turbo’s acceleration more than compensated on such a fast track. Having since watched Caterhams at a similar pace around the same circuit, I appreciate how different a trajectory we needed to take compared with a more conventional track day car.

It was the first time I’d ever thought about the need to get tyres up to temperature.

Between afternoon sessions there was a satisfying smell of what I presumed to be the physical brakes, but no feel of degradation (I’m not sure that even non-PCCBs would suffer given the limited number of laps possible with full power available).

No apparent performance difference between Turbo and Turbo S both having RAS, PDCC, CCG and 21” wheels. I switched cars between each of 4 afternoon track sessions in similar conditions, and couldn’t discern any difference in performance, including glances at the speedo on the main straight and review between sessions of lap times (which, to avoid distraction, aren’t monitored while on track). My laps were inconsistent, the only consistency being I’d mess up several corners per lap, but there was no pattern to that or to which car I was in. I never used Launch Control, where I’m sure the difference would be obvious.

Endurance

A full charge gave around 30 miles range at 2.4kWh per mile before power attenuation, from around 15% charge, greatly reduced performance (20mph slower down the main straight, where I'd been seeing over 140mph before having to focus on not missing my braking point). However, battery temperature became the greater limitation after the first few sessions, limiting full-power range to less than 10 miles (4 or 5 laps).

Porsche Taycan “Precision” driving around the Silverstone International Circuit in Turbo & Turbo S CTs 20230330_155748

The photo shows the trip display indicating 1.88kWh per mile, but that session was an average of track work, the 3 mile 20mph round trip between chargers and track, and slower speed work at the SEC itself, so I estimate the consumption while on track was more like 2.4kWh per mile. (The displayed prediction of 177 miles shows why you shouldn’t rely on the guesstimator!)

Across 6 track sessions throughout the day, I got to drive around 25 fast laps (more than typically available, because Porsche were the only ones to have booked the track). Aside from kidding myself during the last lap of each session that, if only the car had another lap in it, I’d finally string together a good lap, I didn’t find the limitation a problem- even if I hadn’t the luxury of a second vehicle charged and ready to go right back out in, sometimes a break was beneficial to take stock, do less power-dependent activities, or experience the gamut of rather nice SEC catering.

Comfort

The 14-way Comfort seats provided plenty enough restraint (to at least 1.3g lateral).

Even in Sport+, the ride on 21” wheels never felt harsh- probably benefitting from the PDCC.

We were able to talk normally with no need for the helmet intercom that was essential in the other cars.

Next steps

Although my original motivation was to explore the limits, now I keep thinking about how much time I lost through avoidable random mistakes, so, I’m going back in 6 months to focus on stringing more than a few decent corners together- there’s scope for significant improvement just by consistently hitting the ideal braking points and apexes. The Porsche track training programme intends that the 1-day Precision course structured would lead to the 2-day Performance course, but I don’t want to put aside the time for that so I’m doing the Precision course again as it should be flexible enough enough to build on what I’ve already done, and I’m arranging with my instructor to get paired up again for continuity.

This time I’d rather do it without PDCC and on 20” wheels, but I expect that would necessitate using my own vehicle, which I something I’m not prepared to do.

Last edited:

MrBlueSky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I have to admit that, after my Experience Day before collection, the desire to do this Precision Course became pretty firmly rooted.

Thanks for the write-up and I think I'm going to look for place on the course. 8 months you say.............🤔. Better get in there.

You mention having two cars availabe to reduce wait time. I take it the supply of a Taycan was at an additional cost?

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Brace your wallet- the combined price of course and provision of any Turbo model was £1900. GT types were more and IIRC other types were £1700. I'd guess that a 4S will have better endurance than a Turbo so a single vehicle might do the job.

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
I had quite a fun time at PEC in Atlanta yesterday myself, in a GTS.

I have had some track experience on motorcycles, but never in a 4-wheel vehicle. So, I had some skill in tackling the corners, at least compared to a complete novice--I was consistently the fastest on the course in my time slot (which is not saying much of anything really, buncha grandpas out there!) and I was quite impressed with how capable this machine is. It imparts a strong sense of reliability in that it performed very similarly lap after lap, corner after corner, braking zone after braking zone. Quite impressive for an EV.

I thought I would feel the odd mix of braking that you can sometimes feel on the streets in the Taycan (with its signature blend of mechanical and electrical/magnetic forces), but we kept recuperation off the whole time and thus there was a very consistent brake feel. Even after really locking them up time and again on launch control trials. Pretty impressive that.

The car is definitely heavy and the course in Atlanta was quite turn-y, so it was a workout doing that for an hour. But the machine performed very well and was super fun. In addition to the main course, which is a miniature GP type track (like a miniature Laguna Seca), I did several runs at slalom -- she is quite agile and smooth, controls are precise; a number of launch control starts -- yesssss; the kick plate was a laugh riot, you enter a wet zone at about 25mph and a large plate kicks out from under you sending you randomly left or right, simulating an out of control hydroplane, with obstacles that pop out in front of you in the form of automated gates -- this was a blast and really allows you to become comfortable with the car's reaction to slides and hone your recovery techniques, very fun. I laughed quite a bit during this and the next section which was the wet skid pad -- I did get her going in a pretty good drift for a bit here and there. My instructor took over at the end and showed me how it's done, completing a full 360 and transitioning to simply driving off to the next section. Show off. :D

Edit: I should note that generally my instructor's approach was to do the first run at everything with most of the traction control/vehicle safety nets on, and then subsequent runs with it all off. This was a great way to get a sense of what exactly the systems will and won't do. I recommend it (in a safe environment.)

All in all, an excellent way to safely explore the limits of the vehicle and your abilities. Me like.

I bought a mug in the gift shop. :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
The fact that battery heat management limited both the Turbo S and Turbo to around 7.5 minutes of heavy power demand (and parity of performance suggests that it was a similar amount of power), makes me wonder how much potential is left to uprate the power in the Taycan without improving the hardware (not just adding an extra motor). It might not be a coincidence that 7.5 minutes is just enough to compete for the Nurburgring lap record for the category. I think we're some way off an EV getting a "GT" badge (in the sense implied by 2-door Porsches) on merit.
Sponsored