WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
That's exactly what they did. They took the complete drive train of a Taycan Turbo and put it into the GTS. The torque stays the same as the Turbo (850nm) but they limited the power with launch control from 680PS to 598PS. And without launch control from 625PS to 517PS.
I guess they'll have made it difficult for someone to just hook up a laptop and unleash the full potential ?
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
The thing which makes electric power trains very different to IC engined ones is that the performance is time and temperature determined rather than a hard limit. With and IC engine if you try to take more power than it can give it stalls. With an electric motor if you take more power than its steady state limit is starts to get hotter. How much extra power and for how long depends on the thermal inertia of the hardware and how much hotter it can get before it is damaged.
That means the power you can have is not a fixed power curve like on an IC engine but can be "rationed" to be more for a time then less to allow a cooling period.
I suspect the 4S rear motor is being run close to its limits but the turbo rear motor in the GTS will have a lot in hand but be heavier.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have specified a non-black interior and not the glass roof so neither the fancy roof nor the racetex were tempting but I already specified torque vectoring rear wheel steer and active anti roll bars.
I was surprisingly disappointed by the lack of compass and the CT 21" wheels, though the GTS wheels are the only other wheels on offer for a Taycan I like.
Plus you don't have to upgrade the brakes to add 21"

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The thing which makes electric power trains very different to IC engined ones is that the performance is time and temperature determined rather than a hard limit. With and IC engine if you try to take more power than it can give it stalls. With an electric motor if you take more power than its steady state limit is starts to get hotter. How much extra power and for how long depends on the thermal inertia of the hardware and how much hotter it can get before it is damaged.
That means the power you can have is not a fixed power curve like on an IC engine but can be "rationed" to be more for a time then less to allow a cooling period.
I suspect the 4S rear motor is being run close to its limits but the turbo rear motor in the GTS will have a lot in hand but be heavier.
I read a while back that the windings on the motors are denser (therefore heavier) on the Turbo / Turbo S - could that help explain?

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
It's interesting to see more examples emerging of how a vehicle's price can become more based on the capabilities that are enabled on it, rather than just the cost of its components (this case of the same motor providing different levels of power for different variants; the alleged inclusion of most of the RWS steer hardware on all Taycans; or the ability to pay on demand to have functions such as Electronic Sport Sound enabled). Presumably this brings production cost savings (especially with Porsche's model of extensive options).

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
It doesn’t seem like they quoted the 4s with performance battery either, which I understand isn’t standard but a lot of people have spec’d it.
The real comparison between any model 4S and GTS is never that impressive. Its always just a performance parts package. Disappointing that they tried to frame it otherwise here:

Real comparison here shows a tiny 4% power difference. I'm sure it's a great car, but Porsche is not usually so deceptive in their marketing.

Porsche Taycan ? World Premiere: 2022 Taycan GTS Sedan and GTS Sport Turismo comparo

And even more mental gynastics on their website showing the range of the Performance Plus battery pack but the power of the regular battery back. Tut tut tut Porsche that's really dishonest.

Porsche Taycan ? World Premiere: 2022 Taycan GTS Sedan and GTS Sport Turismo comparo2

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Plus you don't have to upgrade the brakes to add 21"
You only need to upgrade the brakes for the Mission E wheels on the saloon. All the wheels are fine on the CT whatever size.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I read a while back that the windings on the motors are denser (therefore heavier) on the Turbo / Turbo S - could that help explain?
It is complex because more closely packed windings improve efficiency but also cause a more rapid heat up when delivering extra power, so can't do so for as long (probable reason for Tesla long range but limited time at high power IMHO).
I think the turbo motor is bigger altogether and closely related to the Le Mans hybrid electric motor if I understand correctly.

taycan_sportturismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW 320i xDrive
I guess they'll have made it difficult for someone to just hook up a laptop and unleash the full potential ?
Have we had anyone make a breakthrough in this regard? I would love to see a GTS tuned to Turbo/Turbo S power levels! Especially if the hardware capability is already there.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The GTS models will NOT have more range.

It is the SAME battery pack, SAME motors, SAME battery software. It is simply an updated number based on WTLP testing a new model that more accurately represents what was already true.

There are many reasons to buy a GTS but you are NOT getting better range than buying a 4S.

Whether 2022s actually have better range than earlier versions is still tbd but the 2022 4S/GTS will have the same range.

R Benny Waered

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, Rapide S, Mc GT, ID.5
Country flag
517PS without LC. 598PS in Overboost mode.
0-60mph 3.5s (with LC)
So, like, really almost very little over a 4S that has 490PS and 570PS in a mode that so doesn't interest me - traffic light GP - please!

GTS is a cracker though and a great addition for choice - do we have UK prices over a 4S as I love these value games!?

Yves_0016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S Performance Plus
Country flag
The GTS models will NOT have more range.

It is the SAME battery pack, SAME motors, SAME battery software. It is simply an updated number based on WTLP testing a new model that more accurately represents what was already true.
This is what I was thinking also. ?

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Specified a GTS on the US configurator identical my 4S (as close as I could get) and it looks like Porsche is asking about $10,000 to go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds instead of 3.8 (although I think CarandDriver that got 3.4 seconds on a 4S). Plus, you get some cosmetic goodies.

Looks like product differentiation 101 to me, along the lines of this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=secret+deoderant.

Ledakar

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S - production 01/22
Country flag
Hello,

What do you think about range? I see that the range is 15% higher in GTS than in 4S. The battery is the same - so why?

Best

Porsche Taycan ? World Premiere: 2022 Taycan GTS Sedan and GTS Sport Turismo 4S

Porsche Taycan ? World Premiere: 2022 Taycan GTS Sedan and GTS Sport Turismo GTS