McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You believe your source and I believe mine ?

At least there are different PCM units for MY20, early 21 and late 21/22.
pcm_versions.jpg
Calculateur centrale. It’s French and not German !

And they changed version 17/01/20 and 18/01/21 would be on schedule to have the 22 version by now.

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
In the partscatalogue the 2019/2020/2021 PCM unit partnumbers are all 9J1 035 xxx, while on the 2022 the partsnumbers starts with PAD instead of 9J1.

As with all VAG partnumbers (up until now atleast) the first three digits refer to the car/model the part was introduced on, and in our case that would be the 9J1. Meaning Taycan sedan, as opposed to 9J0 that is the CT.

The conundrum for me then is...what does PAD mean?

vdr

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe a Taycan...
Country flag
I find it absolutely amazing and horrifying that Porsche can make a Press release and still so much speculation. What will it take to make a release that is clear and not open to two pages on the Forum.

If they can not write text they sure as hell can not write any software.

Very disappointing again PORSCHE
I find it amazing that my just newly delivered MY21, that I waited 8 months for, now has an outdated PCM and no clarification from either PCNA or my dealer that my car can AND will receive the update.

Agreed…. disappointing.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
PCM-Update for all 911-, Taycan-, Cayenne- and Panamera models
(that is on the German side. )
Yes, it is available for all models in their line-up. That does not mean that they can/will retrofit sold cars.

Also amusing that they are proud that "Porsche made this improvement at the suggestion of its customers", but leave the same customers hanging, wondering if they are SOL wrt to this improvement.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Yes, it is available for all models in their line-up. That does not mean that they can/will retrofit sold cars.
It would be disappointing if there would not be a retrofit for earlier model years, but it would not be the end of the world either. Based on the description, it does not sound like a transformational upgrade.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Let’s wait and see. Lots of speculation going on here. One guy says he does not own a Taycan but seems to know that only MY22 are getting the update. Please, let’s calm down and wait a couple weeks…
+100 - According to prior poster we should wait 7 weeks :)

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Let’s wait and see. Lots of speculation going on here. One guy says he does not own a Taycan but seems to know that only MY22 are getting the update. Please, let’s calm down and wait a couple weeks…
But I prefer wild speculation...

I heard from my cousin's friend's dad that the update actually boosts range to 500 miles, and runs a bitcoin miner so that when you stop for charging, it's always free. You can trust him, he's the janitor in the CEO's office, always picking up what's going on behind the scenes.

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
But I prefer wild speculation...

I heard from my cousin's friend's dad that the update actually boosts range to 500 miles, and runs a bitcoin miner so that when you stop for charging, it's always free. You can trust him, he's the janitor in the CEO's office, always picking up what's going on behind the scenes.
And it swaps your whole dashboard/instrument panel with a Panamera. Some guy on Twitter said so.?

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
In all seriousness though, this is the best possible news for someone like me waiting on a GTS build due for delivery in Summer. Integrated Spotify is something I've wished my cars had for about a decade now, and means I never have to worry about trying to futz with my phone because it didn't connect quite right to play the right playlist. I'll be positively ecstatic if I never need to get my phone out of my pocket again.

I might want to check out the wireless android auto, but I suspect I might only use that for particularly long trips and only if Porsche's navigation isn't a good fit for me for some reason.

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
Amusing to get annoyed because a feature that was released after your car was built might not be applicable. We were happy enough when we brought the car - it was good enough then.

I don’t see this as any different to my phone and it’s operating system. If the feature can be applied to prior models, it typically is - but if a capability requires a certain processor, sensor, lense then I won’t get it and then can factor this into whether I should upgrade.

Also, it is easy to say “it’s just software” - but every combination of model and PCM hardware will require QA testing - and I bet that’s a hefty test plan!

Last edited:

raharris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC AT4X, Macan S, Taycan Turbo, Cayenne Turbo GT
Country flag
I have a six week old ‘22 and if it has the new and improved faster hardware, I’d hate to experience the slower stuff in earlier years. It’s crazy slow for a modern car. I really hope there’s an update coming, even if it’s just pretty color icons…like on my wife’s $30,000 Subaru…
If iI was getting an update on my four week old MY22, I would take performance and bug fixes over colo(u)r. :)

marvinp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998/2008 BMW M3s
Country flag
It would be pretty messed up on Porsche's part to update PCM 6.0 but only do it for cars produced late-Feb 2022 when PCM 6.0 was released June 2021.

My speculation, as a software engineer, is that they wanted to get PCM 6.0 hardware and software out in time for 2022 models but had to cut out features that weren't ready while planning to update 2022 cars later. I've had to do that with hardware-tied software I've worked on. Hardware deadlines are always tight.

Anyway, let's wait and see what happens. My car is scheduled for production week 5, so I'm falling just short on getting the new update if posts in this thread are accurate.
Sponsored