buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
This is very disappointing to see as a prospective owner. 1 year of software update support is even worse than even the jankiest Android phones. I can see why hardware changes prevent backporting software, but Porsche needs to do more than just shrugging their shoulders and saying tough luck to early adopters. To whom do we shoot off angry emails? Maybe enough nastygrams can change some minds over at HQ?
Sponsored

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag
Something somewhat similar happened on the Audi side.

The Taycan was the first VW group car on an early version of MIB3. Towards the end of 2020 (production date) all Audi cars switched from MIB2+ to MIB3 (a newer revision). I suspect (combined with a post from someone here on page 7) that 2022 Taycans have the same or similar newer MIB3 revision.

A bunch of issues with older MIB2+ e-trons were never fixed and will never be, while MY2021+ cars get the fancy new software.

They did it in the past too with MIB2. Early Tegra units couldn't be officially updated to newer software that supports Google Earth (after some servers were killed) while newer Qualcomm units could. Even though third party repair shops can just force the update and it runs fine, Audi doesn't bother.

This is just how Volkswagen Group does things, especially on the Audi side, and Porsche shares their infotainment platform with Audi.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
MY21 under 1 year old and already outdated? Come on Porsche, you can do better.

I don’t understand how Tesla can add new features every second week and make overall improvements on the same hardware, while the only improvements I have seen on the PCM is an update on the map and other minor things.

You have so much potential to improve the user experience. Here are some ideas:

- Clean up the menu’s (no scroll please)
- Remember the last Sport Chrono setting (so I don’t have to change it every time I get in the car). Or set a default setting based on a user profile.
- Better solution for charge planning (drop the Timers and Profiles and keep it simple)
- Improve the Comfort Access so I don’t need to touch the handle to lock
- Lower the music volume when a door is opened
- Make it possible to buy/add other Electric Sport sounds

And don’t get me started with the app…

Thank god the car is so amazing to drive ?
Hell, I'd be happy just being able to see upcoming turns in the nav on my 2020. It only shows the next turn with no way to see any further turns afaik.

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
MY21 under 1 year old and already outdated? Come on Porsche, you can do better.

I don’t understand how Tesla can add new features every second week and make overall improvements on the same hardware, while the only improvements I have seen on the PCM is an update on the map and other minor things.

You have so much potential to improve the user experience. Here are some ideas:

- Clean up the menu’s (no scroll please)
- Remember the last Sport Chrono setting (so I don’t have to change it every time I get in the car). Or set a default setting based on a user profile.
- Better solution for charge planning (drop the Timers and Profiles and keep it simple)
- Improve the Comfort Access so I don’t need to touch the handle to lock
- Lower the music volume when a door is opened
- Make it possible to buy/add other Electric Sport sounds

And don’t get me started with the app…

Thank god the car is so amazing to drive ?
One of the more poorly understand advantages Tesla has is that they produce and develop almost everything in-house. So, besides being primarily a software company first (i.e., laptop on wheels), they also don't have to liaise with or rely on third party vendors to roll out updates. Once something is done and tested, they just send it out.

afel

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
"Retrofit" sounds like hardware, not software.

Come on Porsche. The PCM in our Taycans needs fixing. We just want it to work as it should have when shipped.

Items that need fixing off the top of my head:
  • The calendar displaying events on the wrong day
  • Apple Music and Podcasts working intermittently, often freezing on "loading data"
  • Starting the car in SiriusXM where I left it, then losing playback when Carplay attaches
  • Favorites empty (or blinking and unusable) for a period of time after startup
  • Retain regen and ESS preferences
If you want to keep the pretty colors for new cars fine but this stuff is just flatly broken.
Exactly! Well said

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Read this on news7h.com:
Porsche says all of these updates will be available to new production models, starting at some point in the next few weeks. However, it did not provide details on when cars already in production would receive the features. Porsche has said in the past that its PCM 6.0 infotainment system will receive constant updates to keep the software up to date, so it’s only a matter of time before current cars yet with PCM 6.0 get the upgrade.

So I think all cars already ordered but not built yet will be getting the new 6.0 straight away.
My ordered ST should end production 2nd week of april, so I'm rather confident that it will have the new one.
Thanks. Mine will star my production somewhere half February. We will see.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
It would be nice to know what they mean by “newly configured”. Will the new PCM be included in all newly produced cars from the 7th week and further. Or only card that are ordered from that week.
Good point

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I get that software is iterative, and it can take time to polish out.
That's my life.

But I would not be happy if they just abandoned MY 20/21 PCM as-is.

These are 100-200K cars.
The Apple Watch Gold Edition of our time.

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So I just contacted my dealer because I have an upcoming appoint. i asked about this and, par for the course, but Porsche hasn't shared any training of bulletin information to manage the influx of customer questions.

They did share something new though.

My car had the major 2021 update that provided wireless CarPlay etc. yet, the system just tagged it with a major system update under the WMH0 campaign today. The dealership says that this is a multi-day s/w update but no indication that its tied to the PCM announcement.

Porsche Taycan ? PCM 6 Update Announcement [Update: Retrofit Being Explored For Existing Taycans] Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 12.38.18 PM

@lpher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT4
Country flag
I also like to better understand that!
Came across this PAD prefix when googling for the 2022 race tex lower B pillar trims replacing stock
9j1 867 240 b 1e0.
My best guess would be PAD meaning something like shared with Audi?

The PCM6 hardware is pretty much the same as built in millions of VAG cars, called MIB3 in different flavours as being called premium in Etron-GT and Taycan.

you can google for some more detailed info with Audis SSPs:
Third-generation modular infotainment matrix Self-study programme SSP 679
Amen! :)

I couldnt find the SSP 679 now, but i know i've read it earlier.

Our PCM6 system is, as you mention, more or less identical to the Audi MIB3 system. The sticker on the PCM unit even states this. While the Audi MIB 2+ system seems to be related to the PCM5 system, although thats not really relevant to this particular discussion.

So far I havent been able to find a specific cut-off date as to when the 9J1 main unit was "discarded" in favour of the PAD main units. All I've found so far is that it states "model year 2022 onwards" for the PAD main units.

I just got the VIN number for my Taycan CT earlier today, and it does indeed have the PAD main unit.

notsofast

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, 2005 Cayenne Turbo, 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They did share something new though.

My car had the major 2021 update that provided wireless CarPlay etc. yet, the system just tagged it with a major system update under the WMH0 campaign today. The dealership says that this is a multi-day s/w update but no indication that its tied to the PCM announcement.
Interesting my 2020 goes in for service tomorrow. We'll see if that shows up for my car as well.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Items that need fixing off the top of my head:
  • The calendar displaying events on the wrong day
  • Apple Music and Podcasts working intermittently, often freezing on "loading data"
  • Starting the car in SiriusXM where I left it, then losing playback when Carplay attaches
  • Favorites empty (or blinking and unusable) for a period of time after startup
  • Retain regen and ESS preferences
Add to the list these (minor but annoying) glitches:

- Bluetooth connection is not 100% reliable and periodically needs to be re-scanned
- PCM 'locked' to FM radio and the audio could not be switched to CarPlay even though CarPlay was on the screen and music was playing (as indicated by the time in the song moving)
- PCM screen went blank (Porsche logo) and needed to be rebooted

Porsche Taycan ? PCM 6 Update Announcement [Update: Retrofit Being Explored For Existing Taycans] 69019C3F-F810-401D-8B8E-1FC8E7C45B17

Ambroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (RWD)
Country flag

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Last edited:

T4YC4N

First Name
VB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, BMW 730, Mini
Country flag
My car completed production 11 days ago...what does that mean for me?
Sponsored