🤯 Ford EV will get NACS (Tesla) charging port standard! Just announced by CEO's Farley and Musk

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
There’s a bit of Ford - Tesla love in going on in the press recently. Could be more to come….

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
question is will it also "just" work for AC (none fast) charging? or is this fast charging only

however there are already cheap and affordable J-1772 to AC/NCAS adapter

summary:
  • physical adapter for Ford Customers to use _ALL_ Superchargers (don't have to wait for Tesla) to roll out magic dock
    • and probably software support for Tesla plug&charge we'll see
  • Native NCAS port on Ford vehicles starting in 2025 - so no adapter required
    • not clear if NCAS port is "in addition to" or a 2nd port on vehicle starting in 2025
no word has to if NCAS is the sole port - so home AC charging would require the same existing J-1772 adapter or Tesla EVSE that current Tesla user require - but that's no big deal

I think/hope this puts pressure on other vendors - there is _NO_ reason VW/Audi/Porsche could not do the same thing…and have a decent charging network.

heh heh hey - "purchase" the adapter from Ford and use it for my Taycan…no magic dock required.

just make the adapter available for purchase - and let the market forces fight out if Supercharger NCAS or CCS wins out - once you have adapter for both types of networks it honestly doesn't matter which one you're using

my son uses CCS when he has to and Tesla when he can - no big deal.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ford software is going to make the Tesla chargers crash like Electrify America does.
not for long - Tesla has excellent data about their network - if Ford vehicle's start destabilizing it I'm pretty sure it will get address…

this is good thing - no one now has any excuse not to do as good as possible -and hopefully puts pressure on EA to suck less…or they will lose business

I see very little downside to this

may the better product win - and I'm plan to order one of these "ford adapters" ASAP and see if it works with my Taycan.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Ford eliminates one of the major barriers to EV entry - anxiety about finding chargers. Tesla has the best network by a mile. this is a good move by them, opinions of Tesla and Elon aside. frankly NACS is a better charger than CCS, except that the Tesla port doesn't lock the charger in so someone can just nab it out (TBF not sure if it's just a design choice on the model 3/y or part of the standard).

came out to my car at work to a Tesla owner trying to yank the (locked) Chargepoint J1772 out of a BMW i4... lololol

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
honestly the NCAS port is not required - just the adapter and update the vehicle charging software to support a Tesla Account for plug&charge and you're done…

1.0 Adapter + App based Charge session activation
2.0 Adatper + vehicle based charge session activation
3.0 native NCAS port on the vehicle w/in vehicle software

3.0 is NOT required - 1.0 is sufficient o be competitive and compatible.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
email sent to my local dealer sales manager - suggesting Porsche might want to get on the ball here and do something similar for their upcoming Macan EV…

I suggest we all do the same to encourage PCNA to consider a similar approach.

My suggesting is: Technically _ALL_ we need _IS_ the Adapter Ford Discusses for their existing customers - the adapter would be 100% acceptable as long as Tesla does not make NCAS native port on the vehicle a business requirement as part of contract negotiations…I don't know the details here - but for a purely functional point of view this is NOT required to be functional/acceptable in my opinion - just the Adatper please w/software support for the network.

but give me an adapter (which we know already exists TODAY and is technically feasible) and update Porsche's vehicle software to support Tesla's version of plug&charge - and we're good to go - no NCAS port required on the actual vehicle for technical reasons - but may be contactual reasons.

Feedback to your dealers and service manager as you see fit people!!

and I don't even care if it's not freee - continue to offer 3 years EA included, and make customer pay for Tesla supercharging - just the ability to use the network please!!! That's all I ask - the market will take care of the rest.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I believe part of this decision had to be driven by factual and extensive data Ford collected about the sh*t show that is the CCS network in North America

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/13...gels-electric-vehicle-stations-mustang-mach-e

All they’ll do all day long is go and check them to see where they fail and why’
after doing this all day long what do you think Ford learned in 2+ years?

they spent 2+ years spending their own money/staff/equipment/time/effort/technical skills attempting to help CCS network operators identify problems and fix them

I've got to believe after two years of dealing with the CCS network they came to the conclusion it's just sooo sooo bad…

I'm not saying this is/was the sole reason, but I've got to believe they had a data set that factually demonstrated how bad the network was and they came to the conclusion they had to do better for their customers.

contast this with GM getting rid of Carplay and dumping the Bolt and attempting to sell $200,000 EV sedans - and I'll tell you who I think is better play for actually pulling off EV transitions…

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Ford eliminates one of the major barriers to EV entry - anxiety about finding chargers. Tesla has the best network by a mile. this is a good move by them, opinions of Tesla and Elon aside. frankly NACS is a better charger than CCS, except that the Tesla port doesn't lock the charger in so someone can just nab it out (TBF not sure if it's just a design choice on the model 3/y or part of the standard).

came out to my car at work to a Tesla owner trying to yank the (locked) Chargepoint J1772 out of a BMW i4... lololol
Tesla (NACS) does lock. If you’re using an adapter, the adapter gets locked but the cable can still be pulled out.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
at the scott’s valley super charger both are locked during charging

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I will say that this does make me worry about ending up in a situation where Tesla (or any company) has a monopoly on the charging network in NA. I simply have no faith in a corporation to not use every bit of leverage to extract as much money from consumers as possible. Don't get me wrong, I desperately want to be on Tesla's charging network, but we desperately need real competitors to their charging network as well, and fast
Sponsored