chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Picked up my car a week ago and just logged 1K miles on the odom. After a weekend day trip to Asheville, from North Georgia, I just returned from Nashville for business meetings and got to spend some quality seat time in the 4S.

Here are my thoughts on the car after a week:

The Good

- Car drives like an ICE. If you didn't know it was electric you'd think it was a high-end gas vehicle.
- The ride quality on this car is second to none. Even in "sport" mode you can feel the dampening decrease but it's still smooth over rough roads. One of my favorite attributes with the car.
- The acceleration is amazing. Sure it could be faster but it doesn't need to be. My wife still thinks that her Model Y performance is faster, and it might be, but the instant torque that only an EV can provide is still thrilling and practical. Driving in the mountains in Sport + is a ton of fun.
- The build quality of this car is phenomenal. It makes our Model Y feel like an economy car. This is truly a premium product.
- This is IMHO one of the best looking cars on the road today. Many other drives seem to agree.
- CarPlay is awesome. Especially after not having it on the Tesla. Mine connects within seconds of getting into the vehicle. On the two occasions that it did not it was easy to go into the "device" setting and select it.
- Plug n' Charge with EA is a nice feature and has worked 3 out of 3 times for me. It takes a couple of minutes to initiate the handshake but has, so far, been reliable for me. We'll see in a week when we drive down to Orlando with it.
- Insulated Glass is as good as I expected. It makes for an extremely quiet cabin. I'm actually able to use the phone connection in the car and have a conversation at 80mph.
- The Electric Sports Sound is much appreciated. It gives the car some character almost like a soul. I never turn it off as I appreciate the more visceral experience.

The Bad

- The 19" wheels look fugly on the Ice Grey Metallic. I went with the "free" wheels as I have 21" Vossen wheels on order in gloss black which will compliment my stealth PPF much better.
- The rear camera is awful as we all already know. I find myself having to switch between the two different modes and I still don't know how far I'm away from the curb. Thankfully surround view helps a bit and the car seems to stop itself if it thinks you're getting too close to the curb. But if I have to back up in a hurry it's too difficult to tell how far I am from the vehicles behind me.
- No auto-lock feature. I'm used to just walking away from the car and having it lock but now find myself having to walk back and hit the lock button because I forget. With my Connect app not working (see below) it's not something that I'm able to do remotely either now. Something to get used to.
- Trying to book a service appointment at the dealership (for the map glitch below) the first available date they have is in mid-January. I pressed them since it's a new car and they agreed to take me in sooner but don't have a courtesy car for me. I live 70 miles from the closest dealer so hopefully they can resolve this while I wait.
- The second day of ownership I received an email from Porsche that they removed my vehicle from my account. But after calling in, and waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the person on the other end was able to add it back onto my account and I was able to log back in. Shouldn't have happened in the first place but glad that it was fixed easily.

The Glitches

Glitches be crazy! I thought I was one of the lucky ones when I got my car as everything was working as it should. Well, that quickly changed...

- It was going to be cold in Nashville so I was looking forward to being able to "preheat" the vehicle so figured I didn't need to pack a jacket. Well, like some others after using an EA station (could be coincidence but maybe not) I lost the ability to connect to the car with the app. That was three days ago and it's still not working. So I can no longer pre-heat the cabin nor can I see what my SOC is. I even tried using the spare key when I got home but no dice.
- On the way to Nashville my maps disappeared from the instrument cluster. That's my favorite view but now when I select "map" or "extended map" it's just a blank screen. I popped by the dealer in Brentwood and they tried some quick things to fix it but couldn't get it to work.
- My XM radio went silent on the way home today. I can get to the screen and change the station but there's no sound. Thank god for Car Play though.
- When stopping to pick up lunch on the way home today. I was in a no signal area. Well after getting in the car it won't log me into my account anymore. My login ID is greyed out and I can only use "Guest". Haven't tried rebooting the PCM yet as I don't want to make it worse. Hope this resolves itself before my road trip to Orlando.

I love, love, love driving the car but have to say that these glitches are a bit of a let down. I'm the type of person who likes all my things working as they should. I knew going into this that there may be some glitches but didn't expect to encounter this many so quickly into ownership. In hindsight I would still have bought the car but for $150K it'd be really nice if things worked as they should or if there were clear fixes to frequent problems.

Porsche Taycan 1 Week and 1K Miles In - the Good, the Bad, and the Glitches NOWQ5416.JPG

Porsche Taycan 1 Week and 1K Miles In - the Good, the Bad, and the Glitches taycan1

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Picked up my car a week ago and just logged 1K miles on the odom. After a weekend day trip to Asheville, from North Georgia, I just returned from Nashville for business meetings and got to spend some quality seat time in the 4S.

The Good

- Car drives like an ICE. If you didn't know it was electric you'd think it was a high-end gas vehicle.
- The ride quality on this car is second to none. Even in "sport" mode you can feel the dampening decrease but it's still smooth over rough roads. One of my favorite attributes with the car.
- The acceleration is amazing. Sure it could be faster but it doesn't need to be. My wife still thinks that her Model Y performance is faster, and it might be, but the instant torque that only an EV can provide is still thrilling and practical. Driving in the mountains in Sport + is a ton of fun.
- The build quality of this car is phenomenal. It makes our Model Y feel like an economy car. This is truly a premium product.
- This is IMHO one of the best looking cars on the road today. Many other drives seem to agree.
- CarPlay is awesome. Especially after not having it on the Tesla. Mine connects within seconds of getting into the vehicle. On the two occasions that it did not it was easy to go into the "device" setting and select it.
- Plug n' Charge with EA is a nice feature and has worked 3 out of 3 times for me. It takes a couple of minutes to initiate the handshake but has, so far, been reliable for me. We'll see in a week when we drive down to Orlando with it.
- Insulated Glass is as good as I expected. It makes for an extremely quiet cabin. I'm actually able to use the phone connection in the car and have a conversation at 80mph.
- The Electric Sports Sound is much appreciated. It gives the car some character almost like a soul. I never turn it off as I appreciate the more visceral experience.

The Bad

- The 19" wheels look fugly on the Ice Grey Metallic. I went with the "free" wheels as I have 21" Vossen wheels on order in gloss black which will compliment my stealth PPF much better.
- The rear camera is awful as we all already know. I find myself having to switch between the two different modes and I still don't know how far I'm away from the curb. Thankfully surround view helps a bit and the car seems to stop itself if it thinks you're getting too close to the curb. But if I have to back up in a hurry it's too difficult to tell how far I am from the vehicles behind me.
- No auto-lock feature. I'm used to just walking away from the car and having it lock but now find myself having to walk back and hit the lock button because I forget. With my Connect app not working (see below) it's not something that I'm able to do remotely either now. Something to get used to.
- Trying to book a service appointment at the dealership (for the map glitch below) the first available date they have is in mid-January. I pressed them since it's a new car and they agreed to take me in sooner but don't have a courtesy car for me. I live 70 miles from the closest dealer so hopefully they can resolve this while I wait.
- The second day of ownership I received an email from Porsche that they removed my vehicle from my account. But after calling in, and waiting on hold for 45 minutes, the person on the other end was able to add it back onto my account and I was able to log back in. Shouldn't have happened in the first place but glad that it was fixed easily.

The Glitches

Glitches be crazy! I thought I was one of the lucky ones when I got my car as everything was working as it should. Well, that quickly changed...

- It was going to be cold in Nashville so I was looking forward to being able to "preheat" the vehicle so figured I didn't need to pack a jacket. Well, like some others after using an EA station (could be coincidence but maybe not) I lost the ability to connect to the car with the app. That was three days ago and it's still not working. So I can no longer pre-heat the cabin nor can I see what my SOC is. I even tried using the spare key when I got home but no dice.
- On the way to Nashville my maps disappeared from the instrument cluster. That's my favorite view but now when I select "map" or "extended map" it's just a blank screen. I popped by the dealer in Brentwood and they tried some quick things to fix it but couldn't get it to work.
- My XM radio went silent on the way home today. I can get to the screen and change the station but there's no sound. Thank god for Car Play though.
- When stopping to pick up lunch on the way home today. I was in a no signal area. Well after getting in the car it won't log me into my account anymore. My login ID is greyed out and I can only use "Guest". Haven't tried rebooting the PCM yet as I don't want to make it worse. Hope this resolves itself before my road trip to Orlando.

I love, love, love driving the car but have to say that these glitches are a bit of a let down. I'm the type of person who likes all my things working as they should. I knew going into this that there may be some glitches but didn't expect to encounter this many so quickly into ownership. In hindsight I would still have bought the car but for $150K it'd be really nice if things worked as they should or if there were clear fixes to frequent problems.

NOWQ5416.JPG

taycan1.jpg
Great looking car. Congratulations!

GG77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Sorry for the troubles but that's a darn good looking car though. Is yours an MY21 or 22?

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag

The Good

The Bad

The Glitches

The Good

The Bad

The Glitches

NOWQ5416.JPG

taycan1.jpg
Beautiful vehicle. I've had a multitude of issues with my car over the last few months, almost none of which have been resolved. I've attached a few memos to keep in mind. My PCM regularly logs me off to guest, my AC makes a rattle noise coming from the evaporator and the vent in the passenger side foot well thumps when is changes position, along with brake issues etc. Porsche is aware of most, can't fix any, but they keep saying they are trying. I would also enable OTA (over the air updates) in Porsche connect, so when they do update software to correct issue your car auto-updates.

Attachments

OP
OP
chenner

chenner

First Name
B.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Beautiful vehicle. I've had a multitude of issues with my car over the last few months, almost none of which have been resolved. I've attached a few memos to keep in mind. My PCM regularly logs me off to guest, my AC makes a rattle noise coming from the evaporator and the vent in the passenger side foot well thumps when is changes position, along with brake issues etc. Porsche is aware of most, can't fix any, but they keep saying they are trying. I would also enable OTA (over the air updates) in Porsche connect, so when they do update software to correct issue your car auto-updates.
Sorry to hear that. I really hope that they are actually working on trying to resolve these issues and not just ignoring them.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

The Good

The Bad

The Glitches

NOWQ5416.JPG

taycan1.jpg
The car is awesome, but admittedly there is a slight learning curve, especially with the PCM that will eventually become second nature with you. Those “glitches” will soon become features!!

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Sorry to hear that. I really hope that they are actually working on trying to resolve these issues and not just ignoring them.
I do not think any Porsche dealer will ignore such issues. The problems for the dealer is that they are handicapped insofar that all the SW glitches need to go back to Germany. The dealer can check that all HW is operating and awake and all connections are there but after this….

Mechanic problems, if any, they will rectify quickly if they can get the parts quickly. ?!

artdept

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
t -model 3, Dodge Coin Style Model Y, white taycan
Country flag
"This is IMHO one of the best looking cars on the road today. "
agreed by me and most people on the road as i seem them stare.

"The build quality of this car is phenomenal. It makes our Model Y feel like an economy car. This is truly a premium product."

agreed, same, my wife has a Y and 3 and teslas do not even compare in terms of build quality, but they are fun to drive.

"No auto-lock feature. I'm used to just walking away from the car and having it lock but now find myself having to walk back and hit the lock button because I forget."

i hate this too. but have gottne used to putting my thumb on the indent of the handle when i leave and the care locking and folding the windows. which works (most of the time) I also appreciate it unlocking and opening up when it knows im near.

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My car auto-locks after a few seconds. As soon as you see the handles retract, unless you have the key in your hand, it will not open. The mirrors don't fold in.

Btw I do have comfort access fitted as an option.

The rest of it is related to your car as I don't have those issues. 1 year and counting.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
@Dslev does your AC rattle noise sound like this? https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...unds-like-an-engine-revving.7754/#post-111211. Just curious if I have the same issue.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Some thing to try before your trip.

1. Reboot the PCM (hold two fingers in the upper right by the clock and you will get the screen to show engineering mode and reboot). Takes a few minutes, but this reboots it.

2. If the Sirus/XM goes out, in the PCM program the joker (<>) button on your steering wheel to "change the radio source." Then press the joker button to change the source and the satellite re-appears.

Roam the forums here as there are more details on these two items as well as others.

Enjoy the car!

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Her model Y is not faster. There's a video on YT on a drag race between the 4S and the model 3 performance, and the 4S won by a good margin. The model 3 is probably even slightly faster than the taller Y. The 4S stops shorter as well.

Dslev

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The dealer's master tech worked for a week (a great guy), but since most of the issues (my take on it) are not at this time repairable, Porsche (told him) claims they are "normal". Funny since most were not there in the first few weeks after I purchased it. I also have videos of the Taycan engineers discussing the lengths they went through to insure the cabin was quiet/silent, and the AC noice and knocking noise is ever-present and pervasive, so clearly not "normal".
Sponsored