Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
A whole 10 days and 250 miles in - Listing all my “upgrades” (and non-upgrades) and rating each from a 1-10 with 1 being “angry at myself for specking this” and 10 being “wow this was the absolute right decision:”

RWD: 8. Much quicker than I thought it would be based on this forum, not a 10 cause of course now I can only imagine the wild acceleration on the other 3 models. But as a daily driver I’m glad I went with the RWD over stretching for the 4S.

Carrera White: 8. Still my favorite of the non-special colors (on this car only, as usually not a fan of white), but I still think spending the extra cash for “chalk” or Ice Grey could have been worth it.

Mission E’s: 10. Even better in person, beautiful wheels.

Rims painted in body color: 10+. Makes no sense to do Mission E’s and not body color IMO - that’s what gives the surreal effect that turns so many heads and everybody comments on.
Sport Design Side Skirts: 10. I’d have paid more for the effect they bring when combined with mission’s E’s in body color.

Gloss Black Window Trim: 7. It’s nice, but I wonder if the matte black would have looked that much worse? Still glad I did it rather than take the chance. Kind of feel like it should have been a cheaper option.

Side Mirrors Base Gloss Black: 7, same as above.

Folding Side Mirrors: 9. I actually regretted this after lock, but now happy with it considering the price. This forum led me to believe they didn’t look good folded, but I disagree. Super cool to lock the car and watch the mirrors fold up.

Porsche Crest on Front Headrests: 3. I thought it was a no-brainer based on price, but can hardly see them and doesn’t add to the elegance of the interior IMO - gets a 3 cause of price.

Ambient Lighting: 3. It’s fine, but I literally never drive at night so should have skipped this - can’t see it during the day except for when I turn on the car as I’m still in my garage.

Rear 2+1 Seats: 4. Guess I have to have it just in case we ever need it. But I can count on zero hands how many times we used the 5th seat in the last car.

8-way seats (non-upgrade): 9. Still has memory setting for different profiles. Side mirrors electric, and comfortable. Only downside is manual adjustment of steering wheel…but that’ll likely never be adjusted other than the first time I adjusted at the dealer so I’m good with it, glad I saved the $.

Lane Change Assist: 3. My wife wanted this as a safety feature for when she’s driving. I probably wouldn’t spec otherwise but I do think something like this should come standard. Too expensive for what it is.

Surround View: 9. Another safety ask of my wife, but I much like it since the standard rear view camera is trash. Will certainly ensure I avoid curbing the Mission E’s, no regrets at all and would spec again even without wife’s insistence.

Panoramic Roof: 6. I did it for the look of the car on the outside considering the white/black color scheme I had, and am happy with it. Wouldn’t have done it if I had a dark color. Zero value add from the inside IMO, unless I specifically look back/up. But at least my toddlers will enjoy the view from the back I guess.

Taycan logo in gloss black: 7. After lock I regretted not just deleting (thus saving $270) considering I just had a base model, but after delivery think it looks clean and adds to the exterior.

On-board 150kw charger: 1. Clearly a 1 if you live in the US, but I didn’t learn that until after lock - I was sure to let my salesperson know it’s not needed in the US so hopefully I save a poor soul or two from speccing through him in the future.

Bose: 8. Very happy, but still slightly less kick than what I was coming from.
Steels Springs (non-upgrade): 6. Fully happy with the ride quality and how the car sits. But, since I never test drove an Air-Suspension and everybody on this forum raves about it, I can only help but imagine if there really is some vast difference. Would at least test drive an air in the future before making the decision.

Standard battery (non-upgrade): 10. I’ll simply never need the extended range as the standard gets me about 220 miles as currently specced. This forum makes it feel like you “must” check this box, when in reality I think most do it because they’ve never owned an EV and thus are afraid of range anxiety. Standard battery gets more real world range than my previous 2013 Tesla Model S, which actually had more than enough range than I needed already. If you NEED the extra 30 miles or money is no object, go for it - but don’t feel as if it’s a “must.”

Standard Steering Wheel (vs Sports Chrono): 3. Chrono makes little sense to spec in a base model which also has no Sports Sound, but then why do I regret not speccing?! Steering wheel feels…empty and now I wish I had the dial and clock. Shocked that of all boxes I left unchecked this is one that I somehow regret.

Not speccing Electric Sports Sounds: 6. Glad I didn’t spec in itself, but if I were to get Chrono (see above) would make sense to get the sound for full experience. Without Chrono I certainly don’t want this sound as I’m a “blast the music” kind of guy.

Standard Charge Port (non-upgrade): 5. I still go back and forth, sometimes I like the clean look as it, others I’m like “hummm, that black line and functionally might have been kind of cool.”
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Porsche Crest on Front Headrests: 3. I thought it was a no-brainer based on price, but can hardly see them and doesn’t add to the elegance of the interior IMO - gets a 3 cause of price.
Did you spec a dark interior? I have this on the beige and they’re quite obvious.

Also, any reason you spec’ed front only and not front and rear? I also spec’ed front only, but my reason was enjoying the idea of the front being really nice with heated/ventilated/massage seats with nice Porsche crests while the kids sit in back in poverty with nothing. No heated seats, no climate control screen, and certainly no Porsche crests. ?

OP
OP
Taycan24

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you spec a dark interior? I have this on the beige and they’re quite obvious.

Also, any reason you spec’ed front only and not front and rear? I also spec’ed front only, but my reason was enjoying the idea of the front being really nice with heated/ventilated/massage seats with nice Porsche crests while the kids sit in back in poverty with nothing. No heated seats, no climate control screen, and certainly no Porsche crests. ?
yeah just the standard black interior, makes sense you can see then more in your lighter interior.Lol at your front only reasoning. I also didn’t spec back heated seats or the fancy screen in the back (my oldest kid is just 4) but no real reasoning in not getting the crest in the back other than additional cost

Kakatus10

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Poverty Spec Taycan 4S 21'
Country flag
Sport Design Side Skirts: 10. I’d have paid more for the effect they bring when combined with mission’s E’s in body color.

Gloss Black Window Trim: 7. It’s nice, but I wonder if the matte black would have looked that much worse? Still glad I did it rather than take the chance. Kind of feel like it should have been a cheaper option.

Standard Charge Port (non-upgrade): 5. I still go back and forth, sometimes I like the clean look as it, others I’m like “hummm, that black line and functionally might have been kind of cool.”
Of the one option I didn't get I am still torn on the side skirts (I only got the 20" Sport Aero wheels)! I also think you may be right on the chrono wheel (not a fan of the clock).

On my poverty spec 4S, (only 118k USD), I had to get the Gloss Black Window Trim after realizing the 4S is the only trim with Silver Window Trim, and the silver on white looks terrible. I'd have taken Matte Black if it was free and ceramic coat it.

One thing most users do fail to mention about the performance battery is all the non-launch control times are improved, and all non 0-60 times, that plus resell is why I opted for it (not so much the range).

I don't think the silver trims looks bad on a darker color, but on white it looks bad IMO.

oalsaker

First Name
Øystein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crayon Taycan 4s
Country flag
I still think spending the extra cash for “chalk” or Ice Grey could have been worth it.
As someone who drives a Chalk car, I can absolutely say that was the best part of my spec.

Chrono makes little sense to spec in a base model which also has no Sports Sound, but then why do I regret not speccing?!
You makes some strange justifications. You spec the mission-e wheels which include an upgrade to performance brakes and then say you don't need Sport Chrono or Sports Sound?

I use the mode change wheel every day and the sports sound is always on even if I am playing music :D I am willing to give both options a solid 10 (and Chalk paint is a solid 20)

OP
OP
Taycan24

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You makes some strange justifications. You spec the mission-e wheels which include an upgrade to performance brakes and then say you don't need Sport Chrono or Sports Sound?
As you said, Mission E’s include (require) the brake upgrade. Not something I would have specced if I could have conveniently avoided it.

Bari

First Name
Bari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 911 GTS, 2021 Cayenne GTS Coupe, 2021 Taycan.
Country flag
A whole 10 days and 250 miles in - Listing all my “upgrades” (and non-upgrades) and rating each from a 1-10 with 1 being “angry at myself for specking this” and 10 being “wow this was the absolute right decision:”

RWD: 8. Much quicker than I thought it would be based on this forum, not a 10 cause of course now I can only imagine the wild acceleration on the other 3 models. But as a daily driver I’m glad I went with the RWD over stretching for the 4S.

Carrera White: 8. Still my favorite of the non-special colors (on this car only, as usually not a fan of white), but I still think spending the extra cash for “chalk” or Ice Grey could have been worth it.

Mission E’s: 10. Even better in person, beautiful wheels.

Rims painted in body color: 10+. Makes no sense to do Mission E’s and not body color IMO - that’s what gives the surreal effect that turns so many heads and everybody comments on.

Side Mirrors Base Gloss Black: 7, same as above.

Folding Side Mirrors: 9. I actually regretted this after lock, but now happy with it considering the price. This forum led me to believe they didn’t look good folded, but I disagree. Super cool to lock the car and watch the mirrors fold up.

Ambient Lighting: 3. It’s fine, but I literally never drive at night so should have skipped this - can’t see it during the day except for when I turn on the car as I’m still in my garage.

Rear 2+1 Seats: 4. Guess I have to have it just in case we ever need it. But I can count on zero hands how many times we used the 5th seat in the last car.

8-way seats (non-upgrade): 9. Still has memory setting for different profiles. Side mirrors electric, and comfortable. Only downside is manual adjustment of steering wheel…but that’ll likely never be adjusted other than the first time I adjusted at the dealer so I’m good with it, glad I saved the $.

Lane Change Assist: 3. My wife wanted this as a safety feature for when she’s driving. I probably wouldn’t spec otherwise but I do think something like this should come standard. Too expensive for what it is.

Surround View: 9. Another safety ask of my wife, but I much like it since the standard rear view camera is trash. Will certainly ensure I avoid curbing the Mission E’s, no regrets at all and would spec again even without wife’s insistence.

Panoramic Roof: 6. I did it for the look of the car on the outside considering the white/black color scheme I had, and am happy with it. Wouldn’t have done it if I had a dark color. Zero value add from the inside IMO, unless I specifically look back/up. But at least my toddlers will enjoy the view from the back I guess.

Taycan logo in gloss black: 7. After lock I regretted not just deleting (thus saving $270) considering I just had a base model, but after delivery think it looks clean and adds to the exterior.

On-board 150kw charger: 1. Clearly a 1 if you live in the US, but I didn’t learn that until after lock - I was sure to let my salesperson know it’s not needed in the US so hopefully I save a poor soul or two from speccing through him in the future.

Bose: 8. Very happy, but still slightly less kick than what I was coming from.
Steels Springs (non-upgrade): 6. Fully happy with the ride quality and how the car sits. But, since I never test drove an Air-Suspension and everybody on this forum raves about it, I can only help but imagine if there really is some vast difference. Would at least test drive an air in the future before making the decision.

Standard battery (non-upgrade): 10. I’ll simply never need the extended range as the standard gets me about 220 miles as currently specced. This forum makes it feel like you “must” check this box, when in reality I think most do it because they’ve never owned an EV and thus are afraid of range anxiety. Standard battery gets more real world range than my previous 2013 Tesla Model S, which actually had more than enough range than I needed already. If you NEED the extra 30 miles or money is no object, go for it - but don’t feel as if it’s a “must.”

Standard Steering Wheel (vs Sports Chrono): 3. Chrono makes little sense to spec in a base model which also has no Sports Sound, but then why do I regret not speccing?! Steering wheel feels…empty and now I wish I had the dial and clock. Shocked that of all boxes I left unchecked this is one that I somehow regret.

Not speccing Electric Sports Sounds: 6. Glad I didn’t spec in itself, but if I were to get Chrono (see above) would make sense to get the sound for full experience. Without Chrono I certainly don’t want this sound as I’m a “blast the music” kind of guy.

This was great stuff.

jhawks9028

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Base
Country flag
The only differing opinion I have is on the roof. We did not get the panoramic roof and we think the expanse of color, plus the two cool ridgelines the solid roof has, adds to the car's amazing lines and look.

The 20" aero wheels are beautiful, too. You can't go wrong unless you stay with the base wheels.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
you’ll want this upgrade in the US for the following reason:
  1. Tesla superchargers - Tesla is in the process of “opening” the supercharger network - they are 400V > 50 kW chargers (75 kW Urban, 150kW V2, 250kW V3)
  2. Charge point 62 kW & 125 kW chargers - turns out their a quite a few 400V 62 kW Charge point chargers - and when I visited the ones in Monterey, CA I actually got 75 kW during my session - these are 400V chargers
given the price of this option (less than the gloss black mirrorbase) it’s cheap insurance ot assure you are always charging as fast as possible at public EV chargers - a feature you wouldn’t be very much aware of with only 250 miles on the vehicle.

this feature potentially saves the most valuable resource of all - your personal time…it’s $460 well spent if you ever publicly fast charge your EV at a 400V charger (all Tesla Superchargers for example)

but the OP is correct - if you plan to only use EA chargers, or newer 150 kW chargers, or never fast charge your Taycan away from home - then this feature may never be used…

but it’s cheaper ($460) than the following rated features from this post:
  • Mission-E wheels - $4680 + PCSB $3490 (non-optional)
  • Rim’s painted body color - $1290
  • sports design side skirts - $1030
  • gloss black mirror base - $660
  • porsche crests - $570
  • ambient lighting - $500
  • rear 2+1 - $480
  • LCA - $950
  • panoramic roof - $1490
  • bose - $1200
and I personally really really appreciate spending less time when I’m fast charging my Taycan vs. being capped at 50 kW (90 min charging session) if I ever encounter one of these chargers.

personally think it’s stupid that this is even an option, it just should be standard equipment on a premium EV so that Taycan customers _ALWAYS_ charge as fast as possible.

Last edited:

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Well said dave. My SA advised to get 3 items when I ordered:
1. air suspension
2. large battery
3. on-board DC charger

I'm glad I got all 3. Must haves IMO.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
so many posting covering a $460 (trivial) option - but we all believe $17,000 for PTS is totally worth it…

get it, forget about it, the money is inconsequential vs. other porsche options - and it might actually save you time some day -actual real honest to goodness personal time - 30 min vs. 90 min while charging - I really don’t know what people think they are saving by stressing over this particular option

they are for example _way_ more useful than $6700 PCCB brake upgrades on a vehicle that can’t run hard enough or long enough to actually overheat the steel brakes _EVER_.

it’s even cheaper than what porsche chargers for the _SOUND_ feature ($500) which isn’t even an actual hardware change - :angry::surprised:

it completely 100% mystifies me as to what Porsche thinks they are accomplishing with this option (other than confusion) for what is clearly a trivial hardware change based on the retail cost they are charging - it costs more ($540) to get the key painted which are two plastic “shells” that cost less than $0.01 to manufacture…

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I'm glad I found this thread. Especially in regards to the 150kw/400v charging option. Something I had completely overlooked.
Sponsored