daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
#4 is a lie - chargers in the wild don't actually work.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
unicorns given the current state of the EA network - @louv - was most of your charging on EA's network or other networks? and therefore what % of time for your charging did you have access to a 150 kW charger or faster?

in order for the Taycan to be faster at charging than a Tesla - you have to be at a functional Electrify America 350 kW charger (50 & 150 kW charges are _NOT_ faster than the Tesla network).
  1. not all EA chargers are 350 kW - many are 150 or less
  2. EA's reliability is abysmal - it's well documented - and lets be clear it's not even that they are not fast - they simply DO NOT WORK AT ALL - broken such that if you relied on them you'd be stranded - it would be one thing to be slower than advertised (that I could forgive) but often time they don't even function!!!
  3. charging rates are heavily affect by temperature and battery SOC
given the state of EA's network based on ample data in plug share and experience from eTRon owners and many on this forum claiming a Taycan can charge faster than a Tesla is a very very risky bet unless you can pull up to a charger that actually works - also if you include activation time (not pure charging time) the EA charging session's tend to take longer than a Tesla charging session because EA doesn't have have plug-n-go technology - so you have to include the 5-15 minutes of activation time while you deal with a non-functional credit card reader or EA America's buggy app to actually get the charger to start charging.

The Taycan is a wonderful car, and has a lot of great things - but the actual experience of getting a fast charger to work and work well is more often that not going to go badly for most owners- now I'm not saying it can't improve, but let's do more than simply drink the marketing cool-aid - the reality of the situation is that for at least the next few months anyways you are very very unlikely to encounter a Taycan fast charger in the wild that will actually charge your Taycan faster than a Tesla at a nearby supercharger…you are more likely to encounter one that doesn't work at all vs. one that can charge the Taycan faster than a Tesla - and that's a fact.

can Porsche demonstrate a faster charge - yes. Will that be your experience as a North American customer? unlikely - EA needs to get it's act together - otherwise Taycan owners are mostly stuck with the same 50 kW charging network that Bolt users have.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
explain to me again how the Taycan charges faster than a Tesla based on this real world example?

I took a road trip with my new Taycan 4S from Seattle to Bellingham and stopped at EA chargers along the way (circuitous route - not I-5) in Monroe, Lake Stevens, and Mt Vernon. Each station had issues and in two cases I was unable to do any charging. At Mt Vernon I finally was able to charge on a 150KW charger. All day long the 350KW chargers were not working.

I did call EA from each station and while they tried to help it was "No Joy!" all day long. I would like to contact Porsche directly but don't want to waste my time talking to the wrong folks. Does anyone know the right point of contact at Porsche to express my frustration?
this is not the battle you want to pick - trust me - Tesla is light years ahead with an actual fast charging network that functions and scales - Porsche/VW can have the other advantages - but fast charging is not yet one of them.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you're seriously going to suggest that Tesla's supercharger network has more problems than EA? and that you're likely to not be able to charge at a supercharger?

well then we can't have a meaningful conversation - do you own an EV, have you used the EA network or any fast chargers, have you lived an EV for more than 2 days? Have you tried to use an EA charger?

https://insideevs.com/news/389891/exclusive-interview-electrify-america-problems-solutions/

Brassfactory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Talk about a thread hijack. Faster charging is a ‘lie’ because of an unreliable network.

Reactions: Reg
OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well @daveo4EV I will not be a apologist for the Electrify America Network. I agree that they have far too many outages and they do not seem to be doing a very good job of actively tracking it. I have tried to reach out to them through Twitter and I have a phone number and we'll see how far I get with suggestions on how to improve things if they want to do that. However, to answer some of your points I feel you are a bit unfair and possibly misleading.

in order for the Taycan to be faster at charging than a Tesla - you have to be at a functional Electrify America 350 kW charger (50 & 150 kW charges are _NOT_ faster than the Tesla network).
  1. not all EA chargers are 350 kW - many are 150 or less. this is true however the majority of stations along freeways have two or more 350 kW units.
  2. EA's reliability is abysmal - what stations I have visited have always had a functioning plug, I'm not claiming how many functioning plugs they have but I was always able to find one.
  3. charging rates are heavily affect by temperature and battery SOC. This was the most nonsensical statement I saw. It is of course true and it is exactly the same for a Tesla as it is for Taycan, so why exactly is it being mentioned?
As for the statement that without 350 you won't be faster than a Tesla station might imply that 150 is not comparable. When I look at the Tesla map I see that the majority of stations are 150kW still, even in California the Homeland. So I agree that if you have to fall back to 150kW you won't be faster, unless of course the charging curve is better for the Taycan it probably is not worse. Unless you then want to bring up miles per kWh. But if you go there then I feel this is turning into just a Tesla versus Taycan debate and I will let it go.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
EA charging session's tend to take longer than a Tesla charging session because EA doesn't have have plug-n-go technology - so you have to include the 5-15 minutes of activation time while you deal with a non-functional credit card reader or EA America's buggy app to actually get the charger to start charging
I really haven't found this to be the case. It takes about 20 seconds, at most, to authenticate and start charging.

Yes, Tesla's plug-and-go approach is more convenient (and certain has fewer points of failure, because you don't need any interface at the charger save for the plug), but Charging NA works quickly and, in my experience, well.

(I haven't tried the charging straight from Porsche Connect, which is supposed to work too.)
Sponsored