Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hi all. Finally took delivery of my 4s and absolutely love it. However, something I noticed when I charged it for the first time at a rapid charger is that when it got to 100% the range showed 175 miles. Is that right? Also noticed the word 'overview' in the Charge menu in the PCM was in German!! I went out of the menu and then back in and it went back to English :CWL: I didn't opt for the performance battery pack so its the standard 79kwh. To be honest I thought a full charge would show a range of 250 (which I know you wouldn't get in reality).
I guess I must be either lucky or a super-sedate driver then. After 650 miles, my 4S with admittedly the Performance Plus Battery now projects 275 miles of range on a full battery. It started out at 205 miles when I just got the car. Temperatures here are around 50F/10C max. Two thirds of my miles have been spent on inefficiently short back and forth strips to the store. I do, however, have the 19” Aero wheels and manual charge cover flaps which do not disrupt the air curtain on the side.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Gotti

First Name
Gotti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
I was just just about to post about the same thing.
Ive done 3500 miles and mine started at 100% = 200 miles and gradually got worse.
Now it's 165.
I was doing mainly short journeys, always in normal with regen on.
I decided to do a long one last week and took the risk of getting home with 1% left. Since then the range has gone down. I never use sport and don't go over 85 on motorways.

20201125_173950.jpg
How bizarre. Have you reported it to Porsche? In that pic you've shared mine gives the wrong time of when the charge started even though the time is right on the main PCM.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
For the very new cars: How about driving the car for 1.000 miles or so and then re-checking? In my 4S range crept up and up. Even though the car is parked outside in zero degrees Celsius right now, it shows 425km. And I found the range meter quite useful, at least semi-accurate.

In any case, if I felt unhappy with the car, I'd contact the dealer. Mine had quite some quirks so far, so it was necessary to sort them out. They never affected range yet, though.

OP
OP

Gotti

First Name
Gotti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
How about driving the car for 1.000 miles or so and then re-checking? In my 4S range crept up and up. Even though the car is parked outside in zero degrees Celsius right now, it shows 425km. And I found the range meter quite useful, at least semi-accurate.
Cheers buddy I'll give it a shot. Ive only had it a couple of days, I probably need to be a bit patient. Wow you've got some good range there.

B777

First Name
BP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911SC,Panamera S,Taycan Turbo
Country flag
How bizarre. Have you reported it to Porsche? In that pic you've shared mine gives the wrong time of when the charge started even though the time is right on the main PCM.
Are you running the heat at a high level

DP30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover SVR, M6
Country flag
Hi all. Finally took delivery of my 4s and absolutely love it. However, something I noticed when I charged it for the first time at a rapid charger is that when it got to 100% the range showed 175 miles. Is that right? Also noticed the word 'overview' in the Charge menu in the PCM was in German!! I went out of the menu and then back in and it went back to English :CWL: I didn't opt for the performance battery pack so its the standard 79kwh. To be honest I thought a full charge would show a range of 250 (which I know you wouldn't get in reality).
I have just had my Turbo for around a week and done 330 miles from new. I charged it fully at home and at 100% I was showing a range of 210 miles. I was told that this sort of range is expected in normal use and that around 240 could be expected in long runs on the motorway.

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I have a 4S 79Kwh for my daily. I travel around 32 miles each way to work, either via the motorway or A roads. I have set my car to pre-heat (Mon-Fri) every morning and every evening (for when I finish work). I'd say over 60% of my pre-heats, the car isn't plugged in and I've noticed each unplugged pre-heat knocks off around 2% of the battery. I also drive on 21's. For every journey, the car runs on eco A/C in normal mode.

Right now (today), my car is reporting a range of 162 miles for 82% charge. What I have noticed during the winter, the battery temp is key to range. Regardless of how cold it has been so far, my car's battery always starts at 13 celsius if it's unplugged. On journey's where 13 celsius is the starting point, I've seen usage of around 17 - 20% to those 32 miles! (even though my per KwH/100m reporting is similar with a pre-heated battery temp!) Also, during those 33 miles, the battery temperature normally increases to 18 celsius by the time I reach my destination.

As a result, I've lately been intrigued by battery temperature. Therefore I've been taking mental notes of how my car performs with a pre-heated battery. Last Thursday for example, outside temperature was around 8 celsius and the battery had pre-heated battery to 26 celsius. The car achieved 21.8 miles for 10% usage. In total, the car used just below 15% to do 32 miles on that day.

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
I can't use eco A/C as the car mists up. Usually 21 degrees.
I found mine would mist up too on eco (side windows and windscreen). So I directed the outer air vents to blast the side windows and for the windscreen, I also change the airflow from auto to being slightly higher. So far, it does the job.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Turbo S with 7000 miles. It's 32 degrees farenheit here....I showed 209 miles at 100%. That turned out to be an actual 190 miles. It's been showing an estimated range of 184 miles at 85% charge. I have seen an actual 158 miles (Lowest ever) at 85%. In this colder weather the car will get about 170-180 miles on 85% - MAX.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have a 4S 79Kwh for my daily. I travel around 32 miles each way to work, either via the motorway or A roads. I have set my car to pre-heat (Mon-Fri) every morning and every evening (for when I finish work). I'd say over 60% of my pre-heats, the car isn't plugged in and I've noticed each unplugged pre-heat knocks off around 2% of the battery. I also drive on 21's. For every journey, the car runs on eco A/C in normal mode.

Right now (today), my car is reporting a range of 162 miles for 82% charge. What I have noticed during the winter, the battery temp is key to range. Regardless of how cold it has been so far, my car's battery always starts at 13 celsius if it's unplugged. On journey's where 13 celsius is the starting point, I've seen usage of around 17 - 20% to those 32 miles! (even though my per KwH/100m reporting is similar with a pre-heated battery temp!) Also, during those 33 miles, the battery temperature normally increases to 18 celsius by the time I reach my destination.

As a result, I've lately been intrigued by battery temperature. Therefore I've been taking mental notes of how my car performs with a pre-heated battery. Last Thursday for example, outside temperature was around 8 celsius and the battery had pre-heated battery to 26 celsius. The car achieved 21.8 miles for 10% usage. In total, the car used just below 15% to do 32 miles on that day.
That range is not bad at all for 21' wheels in the current chilly season. You are probably on to something with your focus on battery temperature.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag

Thanks for the info, really helpful. How did you preheat the battery to 26C? I just don't seem to be able to get the battery to heat up more than a couple of degrees C, and that's basically just from the side-effect of the battery getting warm due to charging, rather than the car actually pre-heating the battery. Is it to do with the timers (which, admittedly I have not tried since conscious of the 12V issues)?

GEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan
Country flag
That range is not bad at all for 21' wheels in the current chilly season. You are probably on to something with your focus on battery temperature.
I should really document each journey in detail, as of late, my half hearted observations have been to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks for the info, really helpful. How did you preheat the battery to 26C? I just don't seem to be able to get the battery to heat up more than a couple of degrees C, and that's basically just from the side-effect of the battery getting warm due to charging, rather than the car actually pre-heating the battery. Is it to do with the timers (which, admittedly I have not tried since conscious of the 12V issues)?
I've been unable to control what temperature the battery preheats achieves. I'm just about to finish work and the car has been charged to 82% on a 7Kw charger. I've just looked and the battery is reporting 22 Celsius. The other day when I charged overnight at home, the next morning the battery was at 28! I believe charging is what heats the battery because I've plugged the car in overnight without needing a charge and if I recall correctly, the next morning the battery temp was in the high teens. I'll have to test that out again sometime!.

I have two timers and two profiles set-up (work and home). Recently I've switched the battery to min charge to 55% and optimised thereafter with a target of 80% on departure/preheat cabin to 22.
Sponsored