100% charge showing 175 mile range

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I do wonder if there is something about either the mechanicals (specifically the mysterious battery heating system) or electronics that differs in US cars. My cold weather consumption has not only been better but also much more consistent than what has been reported by many non-US owners.

Also my efficiency & battery % exactly align at all times (specifically trip kWH/100 & battery %) so that's another area that I wonder what's going on.
Thanks. I am beginning to wonder. So, not sure about Canada, but in the UK heat pump is meant to be standard on Turbos (as in the US), whereas in some other continental European countries, it is an option. A long-shot, I know, but I wonder whether there is any way to check that the heat pump has in fact been included as it is meant to be. I had the heat on 22C (71.5F) which seems similar to what US posters have had in cold weather.
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. I am beginning to wonder. So, not sure about Canada, but in the UK heat pump is meant to be standard on Turbos (as in the US), whereas in some other continental European countries, it is an option. A long-shot, I know, but I wonder whether there is any way to check that the heat pump has in fact been included as it is meant to be. I had the heat on 22C (71.5F) which seems similar to what US posters have had in cold weather.
Sorry, should have also have said heating/AC was on eco mode, and it’s a Turbo with 20 wheels

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Porsche Taycan 100% charge showing 175 mile range KingskeDec13

Just started charging. 172 miles at 61%, which extrapolates to 282 miles at 100% charged. Admittedly, this is a mild December for New Jersey standards.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, BMW X3 35d, BMW 135i
Country flag
KingskeDec13.jpg

Just started charging. 172 miles at 61%, which extrapolates to 282 miles at 100% charged. Admittedly, this is a mild December for New Jersey standards.
Geez, how do you manage that?

I get 230 miles on performance battery at 12 degrees C admitedly with the 21" wheels.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Geez, how do you manage that?

I get 230 miles on performance battery at 12 degrees C admitedly with the 21" wheels.
I have 19" wheels, which are likely to make a difference, and also manual charging port covers if you believe that the side airflow matters. My driving style is not slow but I try to make it dynamically flowing rather than constantly accelerating and applying full brakes. My cabin is heated (or cooled) to 19.5 C on the drivers side and 20.5 C on the passengers side in Eco Airco mode. Sometimes the seat heating is switched on. The car has a heat pump, though.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have 19" wheels, which are likely to make a difference, and also manual charging port covers if you believe that the side airflow matters. My driving style is not slow but I try to make it dynamically flowing rather than constantly accelerating and applying full brakes. My cabin is heated (or cooled) to 19.5 C on the drivers side and 20.5 C on the passengers side in Eco Airco mode. Sometimes the seat heating is switched on. The car has a heat pump, though.
Not a million miles away from how I drive (with manual port, but 20 inch wheels). Anyone in the UK (or Canada) seeing these kinds of figures in winter temps (280-odd miles at 100%)? UK cars “should” have the heat pump as standard.

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve got driver and passenger seat hearing on, cabin at 25 degrees C. Oh yes, and massage seats.

Most of the time is average speed cameras, so I use InnoDrive and just steer. It’s amazing how much of a journey you can do without touching the brakes or the accelerator.

But I don’t think all that accounted for the difference between 230 and 280.

Last edited:

Neighs

First Name
Horsey
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Country flag
I wish there was a page where everyone could log their config / temps and range so that we could get some graphs.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve got driver and passenger seat hearing on, cabin at 25 degrees C. Oh yes, and massage seats.

Most of the time is average speed cameras, so I use InnoDrive and just steer. It’s amazing how much of a journey you can do without touching the brakes or the accelerator.

One more thing: I received my 4S mid-October and the projected 100% range initially was 205 miles. Over the several weeks thereafter (and still today), the projected range kept on growing while the car apparently learned my driving style and circumstances. If I remember correctly your car was delivered more recently? So your range may still "grow" going forward. I am confident that - come the summer - a range of more than 300 miles in realistic conditions is possible.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Okay!

It hasn't been very cold but here's some data. 47 degrees F outside, heavy rainfall. AC at 68.

Cruise Control locked 74mph was 29.4 kWh/100 mi; cruise control locked 67 was 25.7 kWh/100 mi.

This is from trips taken after 15 or so miles of city driving (so the car/battery was warm) and the trip computer reset once I was at speed on the highway. It was only a bit of rain at the 67 section but heavy rain for the 74.

I'll update once I get a colder drive.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
67 MPH -> 74 MPH = almost 20% less range. Same would be true in an ICE car - wind resistance is a 2nd order function of velocity (and of course a function of Cd).

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Okay!

It hasn't been very cold but here's some data. 47 degrees F outside, heavy rainfall. AC at 68.

Cruise Control locked 74mph was 29.4 kWh/100 mi; cruise control locked 67 was 25.7 kWh/100 mi.

This is from trips taken after 15 or so miles of city driving (so the car/battery was warm) and the trip computer reset once I was at speed on the highway. It was only a bit of rain at the 67 section but heavy rain for the 74.

I'll update once I get a colder drive.
Thanks @ PanameraFrank!
I'll post my data tomorrow night or Friday! Much colder here though...;-)

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
Hi
What's InnoDrive?
Cheers

legataycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 981 Boxster
Country flag
Can someone please help explain to me what I’m doing wrong with my standard 4S?

I’ve been driving in the U.K. over the past few weeks with temperatures ranging between around 3 and 13 degrees celsius.

I only ever drive with eco air conditioning and mostly rely on heated seats. The majority of driving is done in Normal mode.

I can’t seem to get my e-consumption below 55 kWh/100mi, which seems very high to me. Some trips have been as high as 70 kWh/100mi.

Predicted range is around 148 miles for 85% charge and in reality I fall far short of that.

What can I do to get better battery performance as so far I am incredibly disappointed ?
Sponsored