Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Warning, this is a long read but I put a bunch of stuff in bold text to make it easier to pick out just the parts you might be interested in (lots of pictures too). I wrote the story in Medium where I will also be sharing more information as I gain more experience with the car. Of course, I will always post here so that community members can share in my folly or learn from anything I get right.

https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/swimming-pools-and-electric-vehicles-74a2d27dad69
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Warning, this is a long read but I put a bunch of stuff in bold text to make it easier to pick out just the parts you might be interested in (lots of pictures too). I wrote the story in Medium where I will also be sharing more information as I gain more experience with the car. Of course, I will always post here so that community members can share in my folly or learn from anything I get right.

https://medium.com/@the.ev.newbie/swimming-pools-and-electric-vehicles-74a2d27dad69
Big congrats on finally getting a CT - just sorry I could not get to you on my prior trips but who knows maybe some pt in the near future ;)

Now I’ll go read your account!

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Big congrats on finally getting a CT - just sorry I could not get to you on my prior trips but who knows maybe some pt in the near future ;)

Now I’ll go read your account!
Thank you, it was a looooong wait but I'm thrilled with the car. Anytime you're near Austin and want to connect just let me know. Would love to see your car IRL as I've followed your thread about all the changes you've made.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Thank you, it was a looooong wait but I'm thrilled with the car. Anytime you're near Austin and want to connect just let me know. Would love to see your car IRL as I've followed your thread about all the changes you've made.
Read you’re account - thx for sharing - and pretty much echo my experience to date too which is to say what a great car and a relief in respect the ICE to EV transition experience! I’d say I’ve seen a little less issues re EA chargers out of action but def at least 50% of stations visited had one to two units down for sure. That said arguably your EA experience over a number of States seems excellent to me which is good to know as we’ll def be planning longer road trips this year :). Will def ping you if heading back up to. Austin at some pt., Cheers, C.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This was a great read! Congratulations on the new car, hope it continues to be a worry-free experience..
Thank you, I hope so too. The "drive to park" issue has already reared its ugly head so hopefully, nothing significant will happen beyond that. Fingers crossed.

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag
Congratulations! This was a great confidence boosting read for me. I am also going to do a long road trip from out of state dealer in June and transitioning from ICE to EV. Hopefully, will have similar worry-free experience.

X88

First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag

Congratulations! And thanks for the nice write-up. I'm keen to get some miles on the clock too, once I take delivery of my Taycan in August.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Congrats on your CT. I am a UT alumni, and we still travel back to Austin a few times a year so maybe can hook up one day. I am surprised to read the number of stalls at EA had issues, but as you said, luckily other working stalls were available and were functional. I guess I've been lucky here in Houston because the ones I've used so far have all been working as expected.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Great writeup! However one correction, I am pretty sure the chargers run Linux, not Windows.

I base this on seeing them with bootup spew when broken:

Porsche Taycan 1100 mile trip with no EV experience in a brand new Taycan Cross Turismo 4 - Louisville KY to Austin TX IMG_0190

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Great writeup! However one correction, I am pretty sure the chargers run Linux, not Windows.

I base this on seeing them with bootup spew when broken:

IMG_0190.jpeg
Interesting, I clearly saw the Windows logo when the crash happened so maybe they have 2 different OS they are using? Or maybe they are using a Windows emulator in Linux? Not sure but I would love to know just for the sake of it.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats on your CT. I am a UT alumni, and we still travel back to Austin a few times a year so maybe can hook up one day. I am surprised to read the number of stalls at EA had issues, but as you said, luckily other working stalls were available and were functional. I guess I've been lucky here in Houston because the ones I've used so far have all been working as expected.
Sure, send me a message when you're in town. Honestly, I thought the rate of failed chargers was not too bad given the route I was driving and how hot it's been in the South this year. I assume that the heat has to wreak havoc on those chargers.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Interesting, I clearly saw the Windows logo when the crash happened so maybe they have 2 different OS they are using? Or maybe they are using a Windows emulator in Linux? Not sure but I would love to know just for the sake of it.
As a software guy I must know, now! It is certainly possible they run two different systems, though it seems weird to do so.

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a software guy I must know, now! It is certainly possible they run two different systems, though it seems weird to do so.
Reddit to the rescue. They run both depending on the manufacturer.
Porsche Taycan 1100 mile trip with no EV experience in a brand new Taycan Cross Turismo 4 - Louisville KY to Austin TX Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.21.03 AM

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Jim, congrats on finally getting a vehicle, and congrats on learning "how to swim" quickly on the initial road trip.

Happy trails.
Sponsored