tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche ICE models simply don't need to "wake up" in the middle of the night to change their charging parameters...
Porsche PHEV's have though and as far as I am aware there hasn't been a major 12V issue with those. So Porsche does have 10+ years experience with hybrids, charging profiles, etc. This makes me think the issue with the Taycan will be a bug rather than a major design flaw or architecture issue.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my main point is that ANY information from dealers on this particular product should be treated with vast suspicion - given the dealer's demonstrated lack of knowledge about how the car does work on things that are functional (i.e. charging)

their knowledge/wisdom on issue where the car is non-functional is infinitesimally small and they are likely guessing or inappropriately applying ICD diagnostic techniques.

the even money bet is your dealer does not know _ANYTHING_ with regards to your Taycan - especially regarding a non-reproducible software problem like the one we are experiencing - it's simply beyond their ability to comprehend and they lack the diagnostic techniques, or even access to the proper logs to diagnose this problem.

hopefully Porsche is pursuing the issue…

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Porsche PHEV's have though and as far as I am aware there hasn't been a major 12V issue with those. So Porsche does have 10+ years experience with hybrids, charging profiles, etc. This makes me think the issue with the Taycan will be a bug rather than a major design flaw or architecture issue.
Thank you. That is a very good point!

However, I think it also enforces the position that this has likely nothing to do with the Key Fob.

hox1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla X, 2016 Tesla S, 2020 Taycan 4S Dolomite Silver
Country flag
My 2 cents also: my 2015 Tesla S has been in and out of service since I bought it 6 months ago, for electrical faults. Won’t wake up, won’t turn on, bricked.

And TSLA has been at the EV game a long time.

So inherent to the space, not Porsche being useless in my experience. And I will trust Porsche engineers over the makers of that other clunky EV.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...the even money bet is your dealer does not know _ANYTHING_ with regards to your Taycan - especially regarding a non-reproducible software problem like the one we are experiencing...
I agree completely. This is not an issue that your dealer is going to be able to resolve.

Here's a fun exercise. Take a fun fact... Something most every Taycan owner knows... Something pretty important and not too obscure... ...and ask that very same dealer a question to see if they know the answer.

I think we've all been witness to some pretty shocking ignorance from the dealer network (as posted by owners on this forum). Before you modify your lifestyle, or take comfort in some questionable fix they are suggesting, ask your dealer a simple question you already know the answer to. See if they have a clue...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2 cents also: my 2015 Tesla S has been in and out of service since I bought it 6 months ago, for electrical faults. Won’t wake up, won’t turn on, bricked.

And TSLA has been at the EV game a long time.

So inherent to the space, not Porsche being useless in my experience. And I will trust Porsche engineers over the makers of that other clunky EV.
In all fairness, what we are talking about here is clearly an endemic issue which can effect ANY Taycan. This is not a unique isolated hardware failure that an individual dealer is unable to diagnose.

This is an issue that potentially effects all of us and Porsche seems completely unable to identify the source or resolve the issue. Its the same problem over and over that way too many Taycan owners have experienced.

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Jensen Interceptor
Country flag
I posted in a separate section about my experience of 3 weeks ago in London: took my brand new and fully charged MY21 4S on its first journey and after 5 miles it died in the middle of the carriageway, all power went off apart from the hazard lights. After blocking the road for over two hours because the regular Porsche Assist guys had no idea how to move it, an ‘expert’ sent by Porsche arrived and did manage to get the car onto a tow truck. I forgot to mention in my original post that when I asked this expert what he thought the problem might be, his instant response was “12V battery”. He was obviously not sure at all but it’s interesting that this was his gut response. The last I heard, they had still not diagnosed the problem. Seems like this is deep rooted and unresolved...

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I posted in a separate section about my experience of 3 weeks ago in London: took my brand new and fully charged MY21 4S on its first journey and after 5 miles it died in the middle of the carriageway, all power went off apart from the hazard lights. After blocking the road for over two hours because the regular Porsche Assist guys had no idea how to move it, an ‘expert’ sent by Porsche arrived and did manage to get the car onto a tow truck. I forgot to mention in my original post that when I asked this expert what he thought the problem might be, his instant response was “12V battery”. He was obviously not sure at all but it’s interesting that this was his gut response. The last I heard, they had still not diagnosed the problem. Seems like this is deep rooted and unresolved...
I agree. ...and I think it may very well be the case that is this very forum which is leading the way in diagnosing the problem. We, ourselves, may actually be recording, analyzing, and theorizing on this issue more effectively than Porsche is doing.

I don't think anyone would argue that more info is available to Taycan owners here than is being provided by Porsche...

Mark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is frightening, particularly since this issue has been seen for months with no fix. I would hope a potentially life threatening problem like this gets treated like a severity 1, all hands on deck issue within Porsche but apparently not ... I don't want to be driving on a single lane highway wondering if my car is suddenly going to lose power. Is convincing a major media outlet to write about this issue the only way for it to be taken seriously by Porsche ?

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is frightening, particularly since this issue has been seen for months with no fix. I would hope a potentially life threatening problem like this gets treated like a severity 1, all hands on deck issue within Porsche but apparently not ... I don't want to be driving on a single lane highway wondering if my car is suddenly going to lose power. Is convincing a major media outlet to write about this issue the only way for it to be taken seriously by Porsche ?
This is all pretty embarrassing for Porsche. However, its apparently not embarrassing enough. You might be on to something...

Porsche has my long list of complaints about this car. They know I'm pretty vocal about the issues. They have even contacted my dealer about it. I'm pretty sure they basically asked them to "handle" me. (although my sales guy won't admit it). Unfortunately no amount of coffee, keychains, and free car washes is going to actually fix anything. So, Porsche is listening to some degree - even if nothing seems to get resolved.

Personally, I'm not taking up the torch for the 12V battery failure as I've got a long list of my own. It hasn't effected me yet (knock-on-wood). I get pretty worked just about a stupid console hinge design, so I really have no idea of what I would do if my car was completely immobilized because of a well known problem like this...

I've given my complete list of issues to Tech Support (Roadside Assistance). One guy from 1 step further up the food chain eventually called me back but I've never spoken to anyone else at Porsche. They used to call me to tell me they were "Working on the Problem" but when I asked "Which Problem?" the caller never actually knew. Uh, huh. They stopped calling me. I haven't heard from them in months...

Curiously, I did have one friend who works for BMW ask me if he could pass my list on to folks at BMW marketing. Seems BMW might be more interested in the Taycan issues than Porsche is...

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Porsche Assist guys had no idea how to move it, an ‘expert’ sent by Porsche arrived and did manage to get the car onto a tow truck.
Out of interest, do you know what the proper way turned out to be? Get life back into the car or just lift it onto the flatbed ?

sulaiman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Its a shame anyone should have to do this (if it truly is the problem)... This would be the first car (ICE or EV) which I am aware of having this issue.
Mclaren asked me not to park my car near the main circuit breaker outside of my house
coz it will drain my 12v battery
they told me there is an interference from that box and it has the same frequency of the cars key so the system is always awake

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@tigerbalm https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...it-dies-because-of-the-12-volt-problem….2529/

once you get life back into the car it recovers itself, but if you do this porsche will never know about the problem - robbing them of an opportunity to do the right thing and fix it....

if the 12V "jump" process does not work - your car is experiencing a different problem - and which point "flatbed"...

I recommend always calling porsche to make them feel the "pain" of this problem.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@tigerbalm https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...it-dies-because-of-the-12-volt-problem….2529/

once you get life back into the car it recovers itself, but if you do this porsche will never know about the problem - robbing them of an opportunity to do the right thing and fix it....

if the 12V "jump" process does not work - your car is experiencing a different problem - and which point "flatbed"...

I recommend always calling porsche to make them feel the "pain" of this problem.
I'm all for providing valuable diagnostic info to Porsche. But, given all the time Porsche has known about this, and the fact that they still haven't solved such a major issue, I'm not sure I want to just give them my car have it sit at the dealership for days and days. Whats the point?

If (knock-on wood) I have this problem, I'm going to simply recover the car myself, get back on the road, and keep waiting for a proper fix.
Sponsored