12V Battery discharge allegedly fixed? Did firmware update WLG6 help you?

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
Hi All,

Just collected my 4S from the dealer following an investigation of a single episode of 12V battery death earlier this month. My OPC has told me that they have applied a firmware update as part of a recall campaign which has fixed the problem I had. As far as I am concerned, my issue is the same as all the others reported here: 12V battery voltage dropping below 10V despite car being on charge overnight.

The recall campaign designation installed according to my excellent service advisor was WLG6. You can read more about WLG6 here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10179210-0001.pdf

So the $64k question is whether anyone here has had the WLG6 update but has still suffered 12V Battery death? Others have mentioned WLG6 in this forum but I can't find any reference to someone confirming that they have still had the issue after WLG6 has been installed.

I'd love to think this bug has been squashed but WLG6 was released in August '20 and needs to be applied to the first 1486 cars off the production line. If your car was built after 11th August it should have left the line with this firmware already installed. You might imagine that most of those 1486 cars would have been updated by now in which case the number of cases should have dropped to zero if this is the fix. But has it?

So please post here if you know you have had WLG6 and have still had a 12V failure...

Thanks for your help and for all the great advice posted here on this issue, particularly from @louv and @daveo4EV...

SteveO
Sponsored

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
My vehicle had WLG6 updates applied on Aug 28th - my 12V battery was found dead on or about 9/27

it is clear that WLG6 fixed some known 12V dead cases (@louv specific case that he could reproduce 100% was fixed by WLG6) - but it is also clear there are still issues.

I believe your dealer/service-techs are being optimistic.

I personally believe there are still remaining 12V issues at this time - I also believe and have been told that Porsche is still investigating and working on some infrequent but troubling 12V issues.

I have no reason or evidence to the 12V issues is fully resolved at this time. I do have evidence that there are still cases under which the 12V battery can die - my particular case is well documented.

non-reproducible problems are hard to investigate and difficult to resolve - until there is another update post WLG6 I believe you can assume this problem can still occur. Anyone telling you differently is either ill informed or simply trying to put the best face on it.

WLG6 fixed some specific cases of 12V issues - no question - that does’t mean we have them all addressed.

@LukeManning I believe has also investigated and heard from Porsche they are still investigating - but I could be wrong and he’s welcome to correct me publicly.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SteveO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacan 4S, Boxster S
Country flag
My vehicle had WLG6 updates applied on Aug 28th - my 12V battery was found dead on or about 9/27

it is clear that WLG6 fixed some known 12V dead cases - but it is also clear there are still issues.

I believe your dealer/service-techs are being optimistic.

I personally believe there are still remaining 12V issues at this time - I also believe and have been told that Porsche is still investigating and working on some infrequent but troubling 12V issues.

I have no reason to believe the 12V issues is fully resolved at this time.
Thanks @daveo4EV - Clearly WLG6 didn't fix the issue you had - That seems definitive. I am also skeptical my problem has gone away, hence this thread, but I travel in hope (as long as my car starts that is!).

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Steve: I suffered the 12v battery issue last May. A battery replacement and the campaign release did not fix the electrical challenges my vehicle was facing. It was not until Porsche replaced my DC/DC Converter that the electric errors ceased. Since the new unit was installed in the beginning of September, I have gone on multiple 2,000 mile road trips in my 4s and have not seen a single fault.

I realize everyone faces unique challenges with their vehicle, but the Converter replacement for me was a break through in regards to wanting to keep the car.

Frans

First Name
Frans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Renault Espace 2015
Country flag
My car should have had the update since I bought it in September and my dealer told me all updates were applied. my battery was dead the 2nd night, hooked to my home charger. When it was brought back to life I noticed the car didn't charge at all that night.
Now I always wait until the charging indicator turns green. Once it turned red and I replugged the cable and it was green again.
I didn't have any problems since then.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@Snowbird

was is plugged in when it died?
which charger was it if it was plugged in?
did it finish charging?

thanks.

Tonytones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S; Volvo xc90; Audi R8
Country flag
Yes was plugged
porsche charger
yes. As scheduled 85%
no timer at all.
Did you perfom the ''manual rescue'' of your 12V or called directly Porsche Road assistance?

Thanks for keeping us informed on what they diagnosed at the dealership and what was done (replacement etc.)

Always sad to hear....

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Back from dealer today for 12V battery dead on Oct 11 and unable to log into PCM since then. According to the Taycan tech at the dealer, once the vehicle is re-started then shut down, most of any useful data about the 12V fail would be lost. So as inconvenient as it may be, if you do find yourself with a dead battery, have the car towed to the dealer so they can pull logs.

I am still unable to log in - dealer wasn't able to do anything even with Connect technical support on the line.

Snowbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 turbo — Taycan turbo S
Country flag
Did you perfom the ''manual rescue'' of your 12V or called directly Porsche Road assistance?

Thanks for keeping us informed on what they diagnosed at the dealership and what was done (replacement etc.)

Always sad to hear....
We are currently working on your vehicle and will keep it until tomorrow. We are working with Porsche on this to ensure we get the latest update possible on the Taycan. I'll follow up with you tomorrow. In the meantime, do not hesitate if you have any questions. Porsche Dealer

I called my dealer and he came with a Macan. jumped my 12 volts and took back to the garage. I keep this Macan for now

Powdermike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
East Hampton NY, Beaver Creek CO and Los Angeles
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 Cayenne Hybrid
Country flag

Always sad to hear....
My turbo S had all of the software upgrades available in September. My 12V battery died and in the process the main battery didn’t charge. The dealer after talking to Porsche says that the issue was some kind of conflict in the charging profiles. They are apparently aware of a programming/ software issue, but we’ll have to see.

We did use the manual release the charger and jump the PCM to open the frunk in order to charge the PCM / Service battery enough to drive the car out of the garage and onto the flatbed. Was fortunate to find the directions on the user forum vs online manual.

We’ll see. Porsche’s EV software isn’t quite ready for prime time. We’re all beta testers for them. Had charging issues with the Cayenne Hybrid too. Seems to be okay now.

TaycanAZ

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, Panamera, 911 C2S
Country flag
Took delivery Turbo in Aug. Arrived with the 12v problem then. Was updated but evidently I didnt dodge the issue. Had PCM replaced between then to try to fix other infotainment related issues.
Dead while plugged in.

Heres the scenario:
- generally use profile and timer to charge to 85% from 11p-5a.
- one day mid day, needed to charge immediately for some range later that day, hit the direct charging button on the center console.
- charged fine that day and drove it to about 60 miles of range left.
- turned off direct charging so it would revert back to timer/profile for overnight
- next day, dead.

Porsche roadside sent out a clueless flatbed driver, sent them away. Then dealer sent a tech out the next day and executed the usual process to get juice to roll out. No loaner cars available. Called the porsche number hoping to get some resolution, Dealer wont even look at it for nearly a week and hasn't offered any help. Pretty frustrating.
Sponsored