simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Just came across this posted on another forum. Interesting…

Sponsored

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Fascinating...but I personally only use myporsche app and connect maybe once or twice a day.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Another reason for me to rarely use MyPorsche app and always log out whenever I've finished with it. There's a ludicrously large number of home integration apps and appliances waiting to drain my phone and waste mains power on all the connected items. I replaced the dishwasher the other day and was initially frustrated when it wouldn't connect to the home network- then I pulled myself together and thought about all those years when domestic appliances worked effectively in splendid isolation without me worrying about what they were up to behind my back.

kempez

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo ST, Volvo XC90 T8
Country flag
Another reason for me to rarely use MyPorsche app and always log out whenever I've finished with it. There's a ludicrously large number of home integration apps and appliances waiting to drain my phone and waste mains power on all the connected items. I replaced the dishwasher the other day and was initially frustrated when it wouldn't connect to the home network- then I pulled myself together and thought about all those years when domestic appliances worked effectively in splendid isolation without me worrying about what they were up to behind my back.
My C63 drained it's 12v battery twice and it was 100% due to the app and the constant connectivity that kept it draining the 12v battery. One of the engineers confirmed it and said they were working on bug fixes for a long time but never fixed it. The My Porsche app does not seem to do the same thing.

My dishwasher also has connectivity, but I have not enabled it. But then I work in Cyber Security, so I know what patching is like for most of these kind of things 🤨

OP
OP
simcity

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There are other probable causes with the early death of 12v batteries in Taycans and e-tron GTs but it doesn’t appear that OTA remote access (or too much of it) is one of those causes.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There are other probable causes with the early death of 12v batteries in Taycans and e-tron GTs but it doesn’t appear that OTA remote access (or too much of it) is one of those causes.
In the early days 12v drain was due to the PLC (Power Line Communications) between the car and EVSE (Porsche PMCC) if enabled due to a bug. There was a Porsche Technical Service Bulletin issued for it at the time.

Fall7St8nd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just recently took delivery... and my SA recommended getting the CTEK lithium-ion trickle charger, if I plan on being away from the car for a (not explicit amount of) time. Appreciated the guidance, but still find it strange that an EV with such a large HV battery pack and can be left plugged-in still has to have a trickle charger specifically for the 12V battery.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Just recently took delivery... and my SA recommended getting the CTEK lithium-ion trickle charger, if I plan on being away from the car for a (not explicit amount of) time. Appreciated the guidance, but still find it strange that an EV with such a large HV battery pack and can be left plugged-in still has to have a trickle charger specifically for the 12V battery.
Yea apparently Hyundai cannot design a proper EV. Let's hope Porsche can. Tesla just tops off the 12V whenever it's needed, which can be more than once a day, depending on a situation. App usage does make it more frequent, but it won't make the battery discharge to dead. I run dashcams on all my cars, 24/7 on all Teslas, which contributed to slightly higher 12V drain, so more frequent top-off cycles, but 12V batteries still lasted 3-4 years. Teslas also would tell me when it's time to change the 12V battery out, so never got stuck with a dead battery. Mobile tech would show up at home, swap the 12V battery in few minutes, very convenient.

OP
OP
simcity

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea apparently Hyundai cannot design a proper EV. Let's hope Porsche can. Tesla just tops off the 12V whenever it's needed, which can be more than once a day, depending on a situation. App usage does make it more frequent, but it won't make the battery discharge to dead. I run dashcams on all my cars, 24/7 on all Teslas, which contributed to slightly higher 12V drain, so more frequent top-off cycles, but 12V batteries still lasted 3-4 years. Teslas also would tell me when it's time to change the 12V battery out, so never got stuck with a dead battery. Mobile tech would show up at home, swap the 12V battery in few minutes, very convenient.
Tesla now moved to 16V lithium. Well for as while now. will be interesting to see what their longevity is like compared to the lead acid. Mine lasted about 5 years before it needed a swap.

Right now suspension components, air dampers, compressors etc are costing me more than I'd have liked with a car at this mileage. Maybe they're treated as consumables!? in their eyes. Triggers broom to get to "a million miles"

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Tesla now moved to 16V lithium. Well for as while now. will be interesting to see what their longevity is like compared to the lead acid. Mine lasted about 5 years before it needed a swap.

Right now suspension components, air dampers, compressors etc are costing me more than I'd have liked with a car at this mileage. Maybe they're treated as consumables!? in their eyes. Triggers broom to get to "a million miles"
I stopped buying Teslas once Elon re-invented the steering wheel. It coincided nicely with Porsche finally bringing Mission E Cross Turismo to production (though it took 20 months and a whole lot of cold calling dealers to find an allocation and for Porsche to actually hatch me one). I am not 100% up to date on the latest Tesla electronics, so have no data on its reliability. I never had suspension problems on any of my 4 Model S'es and the longest I owned one was almost 8 years. Despite Elon's claim of a "million mile drivetrain" I suspect Tesla is not there yet. Maybe it was deep-fake Elon who said that, given the recent Tesla attorney claim that nothing you see, hear, or read on the internet from Elon can be trusted since it could be faked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
simcity

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve got one too. Touch wood never had to use it. Car can sometimes sit for a while, but all seems totally fine. MY23

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
My C63 drained it's 12v battery twice and it was 100% due to the app and the constant connectivity that kept it draining the 12v battery. One of the engineers confirmed it and said they were working on bug fixes for a long time but never fixed it. The My Porsche app does not seem to do the same thing.

My dishwasher also has connectivity, but I have not enabled it. But then I work in Cyber Security, so I know what patching is like for most of these kind of things 🤨
Can't believe tech-forward Taycan guys are still using old school dishes and connected dishwashers. We switched to Soylent Green years ago, no more dishes, no more dishwashers, no more apps to control the dishwasher, and no worries about Russians hacking our dishwasher. (BTW, rumors that SG is made from humans is fake news!)

OP
OP
simcity

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe it was deep-fake Elon who said that, given the recent Tesla attorney claim that nothing you see, hear, or read on the internet from Elon can be trusted since it could be faked.
I’m on the revolving door out of Tesla-land after this summer. It’s been good but also emotional. 😅

Currently prevaricating as to whether I’ll take them to small claims here over their FSD malpractice. There’s a small group of us that are varying states of action.

It’s not the same as you guys over there. Here tis basically pointless bullshitware that delivers the squareroot of F all.
Sponsored