Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hey There,

I hope everyone is doing amazing!

After countless other issues, just when I thought my car was finally bug free, I got an error message saying 12V battery low, please connect to charging equipment. My car shut off completely (while in park). I was able to turn it back on and the message did not return. My battery was charged to 100%, Im not sure about the 12V. I was able to drive for about an hour no issues. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do to resolve it? The car seems to be working fine, just not sure why I got that message. I probably will end up taking it to the dealer on Monday. The dealer has had my car longer than I have. I love this car but Im beyond annoyed.

PCNA offered to replace it for the other issues I had,
Porsche Taycan 12V Battery tempImageuMGj54
but I have frozen Berry metallic and there are none in the country available. I want to replace it, but there are so many issues I feel if I replace it, it will be different car, same issue. Plus I wont have the frozen berry.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
12V battery will charge from the big battery - unless there is a bug/problem with the system this should be a one time thing - you can monitor the 12V battery via these instructions

13.2 to 14.5 V is normal - if it’s less than 13V and stays that way you should have your dealer diagnose it.

my Taycan’s 12V battery “lives” @ 13.4V - and someimtes it’s 14.5V (when it’s being charged by the big battery while driving)

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-battery-temperature-in-the-main-dash.2859/

follow the above instructions, but instead of displaying battery “temp” choose the 12V battery data to show and that will let you ’see’ your 12V battery’s current voltage - as I mentioned 13V or more is normal - less than 13V that doesn’t go up could indicate a problem

if you’re 13.4V or more and the message has gone away I would humbly suggest you don’t need to involve the dealer - but it’s your call - I can’t promise there isn’t a problem - but at 13.4V or more that is not indicative of a 12V battery problem

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
12V battery will charge from the big battery - unless there is a bug/problem with the system this should be a one time thing - you can monitor the 12V battery via these instructions

13.2 to 14.5 V is normal - if it’s less than 13V and stays that way you should have your dealer diagnose it.

my Taycan’s 12V battery “lives” @ 13.4V - and someimtes it’s 14.5V (when it’s being charged by the big battery while driving)

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/how-to-battery-temperature-in-the-main-dash.2859/

follow the above instructions, but instead of displaying battery “temp” choose the 12V battery data to show and that will let you ’see’ your 12V battery’s current voltage - as I mentioned 13V or more is normal - less than 13V that doesn’t go up could indicate a problem

if you’re 13.4V or more and the message has gone away I would humbly suggest you don’t need to involve the dealer - but it’s your call - I can’t promise there isn’t a problem - but at 13.4V or more that is not indicative of a 12V battery problem
Thank You, I will check it in the morning. I appreciate your help!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Hey There,

I hope everyone is doing amazing!

After countless other issues, just when I thought my car was finally bug free, I got an error message saying 12V battery low, please connect to charging equipment. My car shut off completely (while in park). I was able to turn it back on and the message did not return. My battery was charged to 100%, Im not sure about the 12V. I was able to drive for about an hour no issues. Has anyone had this happen to them? What did you do to resolve it? The car seems to be working fine, just not sure why I got that message. I probably will end up taking it to the dealer on Monday. The dealer has had my car longer than I have. I love this car but Im beyond annoyed.

PCNA offered to replace it for the other issues I had,
tempImageuMGj54.png
but I have frozen Berry metallic and there are none in the country available. I want to replace it, but there are so many issues I feel if I replace it, it will be different car, same issue. Plus I wont have the frozen berry.
In my first hybrid which has a smaller 12V battery than an IC engined car like the Taycan if I sat in the car listening to music with a light on and the car on "accesories" ,which means the traction battery is disconnected, it depleted the 12V battery quite quickly and if a single interior light was left on over night the car was dead in the morning because the 12V battery had insufficient power to boot the electronic controllers :)
I learned this the hard way, my current plug-in hybrid may be the same but I am much more careful now!
I don't know about the Taycan but are there a lot of things which may deplete the 12V battery whilst the car is in accesories mode? I am thinking about, for example looking at things on the car using the app.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Taycan is mostly the same - most things except for drivetrain and portions of the HVAC are powered by the 12V battery. It's smaller so it will drain more quickly.

OP
OP
Lauryen828

Lauryen828

First Name
Lauryen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan is mostly the same - most things except for drivetrain and portions of the HVAC are powered by the 12V battery. It's smaller so it will drain more quickly.
Is it charged when you drive the car or when you charge? My voltage is constantly at 13.5V. I've heard different things from different people. PCNA was of no help and my dealership was of little help as well.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What I think I know is that the 12V battery is charged while the vehicle is on (stationary or driving). It does NOT appear to be charged while actively charging. However, if you look carefully at the charging log of a long session on a PMCC, you will see periods where the vehicle stops consuming AC - I suspect it is topping off the 12V battery during these periods.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is it charged when you drive the car or when you charge? My voltage is constantly at 13.5V. I've heard different things from different people. PCNA was of no help and my dealership was of little help as well.
13.5 or so is where the 12 v should be at. what is your concern?
Sponsored