12V death while plugged in - can we declare victory?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
team - well it’s been a while since I’ve heard anyone note/mention a 12V death - I know it hasn’t happened to my Taycan since the update - anyone out there had a 12V death issue post update?

otherwise I‘m gaining confidence Porsche may have nailed this one down and we can call it “fixed”.

this makes me happy.
Sponsored

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
One of the things they changed with the big software update is "eject" the charging plug when car charging is complete. That way the car cannot remain on the charger. This feature makes me think they may not have completely gotten to the bottom of the bug.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmm- tell me more - my PMCC remained plugged in when charging is finished?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I think he means that the car disconnects from the charger, and you can pull out the plug without hitting the button.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I think he means that the car disconnects from the charger, and you can pull out the plug without hitting the button.
I noticed that too. Not only protects against the 12V battery issue but is also more convenient.

KTC

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 911 C4GTS; 2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
AND the power port doors don't try and close on it. Good job Porsche, failure mode averted! ;)

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since vehicle purchase, never had any issues even with the vehicle plugged in after charging but don't have any issues so far after a week from the updates.

One of the targets for the WMA7 update is the charge port. If plug ejection is supposed to be a new added feature, I'm not seeing it in mine. I have noticed, however, that some functions in the PCM are slower and a bit erratic than before like turning on the sport sound, activating recuperation, occasional dropping of bluetooth music and the brakes. But hey, I'll just continue to put up with it and make the most from it... little annoyances that come with new technology.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I noticed that the other day also (as I actually charged at work... got to visit the office last week!). Since the car finished charging, the little button didn't have any light on, and I could just pull the plug out without pushing the button first.

Next to find out if it's possible to do that if the car is locked. (Which would be nice, because having locked charger would prevent me from using a bunch of spaces in the garage)

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I noticed that the other day also (as I actually charged at work... got to visit the office last week!). Since the car finished charging, the little button didn't have any light on, and I could just pull the plug out without pushing the button first.

Next to find out if it's possible to do that if the car is locked. (Which would be nice, because having locked charger would prevent me from using a bunch of spaces in the garage)
I agree it would be nice to have an option to auto-unlock on charging complete, but I understand why it's not the default. In europe the Type 2 cables usually belong to the vehicle not the station so it's locked to prevent theft. In America it's useful when using a Tesla Destination Charger adapter to prevent theft of the adapter still allowing removal of the Tesla charger from adapter.

smohr33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S -> Taycan CT4
Country flag
Mine is unlocked every morning after my timer is complete. I never have to hit the button, light is not on, plug pulls right out. PMCC on 2020 4S WMA5/7, AMB5 not done yet.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine is unlocked every morning after my timer is complete. I never have to hit the button, light is not on, plug pulls right out. PMCC on 2020 4S WMA5/7, AMB5 not done yet.
this is cool - I’ll have to pay attention more closely next time and see if this is the case for me. Thanks for the tip!!!

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I guess with this new "virtual eject" thing, it no longer makes sense to keep the car plugged into during long-term parking, since the cable is virtually disconnected after the charge level is reached.

Last edited:

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
FWIW my eGolf used to lock the cable to the car.

On a trip to the happiest place on earth (Disneyland) I parked in electric car charging (that has a 4 hour limit) and returned 3.5 hours later (that is all the golf takes to charge at level 2).

Since the charger was locked to the car, somebody proceeded to rip off the charing flap door in such a manner that it creased the body where they yanked it.

$1500 total damage to the car. Totally sucked. After that I modified the car to move the locking pin.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have stopped EA DC charging from the app several times and the cable still remained locked when the car was locked. So I doubt that the cable gets mechanically released if the car is locked or does not detect the key nearby. I have also witnessed vandalism when some people try to forcefully pull out a locked cable. I wish there was a setting to chose the cable lock behavior. Some cars have that.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
I have stopped EA DC charging from the app several times and the cable still remained locked when the car was locked. So I doubt that the cable gets mechanically released if the car is locked or does not detect the key nearby. I have also witnessed vandalism when some people try to forcefully pull out a locked cable. I wish there was a setting to chose the cable lock behavior. Some cars have that.
There may be different behaviour for DC charger plugs and L2 plugs. DC chargers have their own release method.
Sponsored