12V death while plugged in - can we declare victory?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
Good to know! Not leaving that un-attended then! That is kind of crazy as wouldn't a common use being a L2 charger at a hotel where you would leave it charging overnight?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yes - in practice I’m not sure there a huge market for TeslaTaps in terms of “theft” targets - but I guess people will steal anything - I’ve been using TeslaTaps for about 2/3 years now and to date I’ve not had any problems - even overnight

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
yes - in practice I’m not sure there a huge market for TeslaTaps in terms of “theft” targets - but I guess people will steal anything - I’ve been using TeslaTaps for about 2/3 years now and to date I’ve not had any problems - even overnight
Doesn't the TeslaTap have provision to put a small padlock on to prevent theft?

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I thought if the car is locked, the charge port is locked, thus locking the TeslaTap into the car? Under this same assumption, I thought it was the TeslaTap > L2 charging cable connection that was unlocked.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I thought if the car is locked, the charge port is locked, thus locking the TeslaTap into the car? Under this same assumption, I thought it was the TeslaTap > L2 charging cable connection that was unlocked.
There are two locking points on the Tesla Tap. Since my car is sitting in port, no way to test. I had always thought the charger locked itself in the the car when locked. I suppose if the Tesla Tap lock was locked on the charging cable, it couldn’t be stolen. Seems smarter to lock the cable into the car.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
There are two locking points on the Tesla Tap. Since my car is sitting in port, no way to test. I had always thought the charger locked itself in the the car when locked. I suppose if the Tesla Tap lock was locked on the charging cable, it couldn’t be stolen. Seems smarter to lock the cable into the car.
That's what I mean though. I thought the Taycan will lock whatever is plugged into the J1772 port when the car is locked. In this case, that would be the TeslaTap itself. However, the connection between the TeslaTap and the charging cable is not locked (unless you buy one of their little padlocks) because of the way the TeslaTap is designed.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don’t think you can “lock” the TeslaTap “to” the Tesla Charging cord - only the J-1772 end can be locked into the vehicle’s charging port - which should prevent them from stealing the tap if it’s plugged into the vehicle…

there is no way to “lock” the TeslaTap if it’s not plugged into a vehicle.

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
I don’t think you can “lock” the TeslaTap “to” the Tesla Charging cord - only the J-1772 end can be locked into the vehicle’s charging port - which should prevent them from stealing the tap if it’s plugged into the vehicle…

there is no way to “lock” the TeslaTap if it’s not plugged into a vehicle.
From the TeslaTap website:
If you are worried about theft the new TeslaTap MINI now has two locations to install padlocks.

One will lock the TeslaTap MINI to your Tesla Connector and the other will lock the TeslaTap MINI to your EV.

nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
From the TeslaTap website:
If you are worried about theft the new TeslaTap MINI now has two locations to install padlocks.

One will lock the TeslaTap MINI to your Tesla Connector and the other will lock the TeslaTap MINI to your EV.
This exactly. I've the TeslaTap and can assure everyone that the locks operate as written above.
Sponsored