johnschlemmer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I’m having trouble deciding between the two seat upgrades. I’m 5’9” and very thin, and I’ve been told the sportier 18-way seats would help “hug” me better. But I also read somewhere that they’re not as comfortable or as cushioned as the 14-way. Is this true? I haven’t been able to sit in them to compare. I have hip issues and I want to go for the most comfortable seats possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

HeTakesThatFivePercent

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S (incoming)
Country flag
I’m having trouble deciding between the two seat upgrades. I’m 5’9” and very thin, and I’ve been told the sportier 18-way seats would help “hug” me better. But I also read somewhere that they’re not as comfortable or as cushioned as the 14-way. Is this true? I haven’t been able to sit in them to compare. I have hip issues and I want to go for the most comfortable seats possible. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I have the 18-way in my Macan and had the 14-way in my Panamera. Ordered the Taycan with the 14-way seats.

There's a night-and-day difference between the two seat types. I am 6'2" and thin, and the 18-way seats do aggressively "hug" in a way that the 14-ways do not. They have extremely protruding side and hip bolsters, though you can adjust those bolsters to be tighter or looser. The 14-ways are more roomy, but are also all-day comfortable and more accommodating to different body types. I like them both, but sometimes I feel the 18-ways are almost overkill.

Treat it like you're clothes-shopping - If you like a snug fit, go for the 18-ways. If you are prefer a more relaxed fit or are unsure, I would stick with the 14-ways. You won't be disappointed with them.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I wanted to order the 18 W seats. I tested them in the showroom and felt like they had a good fit. I am 1m90 and 90 Kg.

The dealer advised me to take the 14 W because they are more comfortable on long drives. He said the tighter fit of the 18 W might become annoying for longer drives.

I sat in 18 W and 14 W again and went for the 14 W and added massage function.

And swapped basalt olea for black full leather. He said it was useless to go for olea with black seats.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
Well, the choice is very hard.

Basically, the 18-ways are more envoloping. It means you will have a sportier ride feel more in a sport car seat. It's also less easier on the daily basis due the higher bolsters.

The 14-ways are more made for "normal" rides. They are sportier comparing to usual sedan cars but you are not fixed into them like the 18-ways.

For both, it took my time to find the good settings.

I hope this helps. It's based on my own feeling and experience.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Treat it like you're clothes-shopping - If you like a snug fit, go for the 18-ways. If you are prefer a more relaxed fit or are unsure, I would stick with the 14-ways. You won't be disappointed with them.
I prefer lose clothing but tighter seats in my cars, as I've yet to slide out of my clothes when driving spiritedly, but have had issues in the past staying in the seat while cornering in cars which can hold their road (seat belts are not enough). I can however see how less snug seats can feel more comfortable for long leisurely driving.

PS> Next step up, old school American bench seats where you can really spread out. ;)

mas_gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
n/a
Country flag
Fortunately I was able to test drive both; a CT4S with 14 way and Turbo S with 18 way. I found the the 14 way to be the most comfortable - both while driving and also getting in and out of the car.

Have ordered 14 way on our incoming GTS - even though 18 way can be had at no extra cost.

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
I have the 18 ways and really like them. Both the seat and side bolsters are adjustable as you probably know, so you can extend them out for a looser fit, or, bring them in for a tighter fit. When we ordered our 4S the only car on the lot was a Panamera with 18 way seats. Wife and I sat in the car and she adjusted her seat to a wider fit, me to a much tighter fit. I would not order another car without the 18 way only because I like the tighter fit. The seat bolsters don't present a problem with entering or exiting the car for me. The dealer told me (and I believe that he is correct) that the 14 way and 18 way are identical EXCEPT the bolsters are a little taller. Seat size is the same, etc.

jkoya

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan CT4, 23 Mini Cooper SE on order
Country flag
My CT4 just started production yesterday according to TYD. I wanted the massage function, so the 14 way seats were the only option for me according to the configurator. I was not able to try either seat at the dealer (The two Macans in the showroom had the 8 way seats), so I hope I made the right decision.

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
I'm 6 feet tall and thin-build, my 4S has the 14W.

I can't compare to the 18W, but I'm sure they're very nice.

But in my experience, the 14W are really really comfortable. I agree with the previous statement about long-drive comfort & the bolsters.

The 14W are really a great choice IMHO.
Sponsored