JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sad these kinds of thing happen despite best attempts to mitigate. Just as bad is that these people get to vote.
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did not drive it like a Porsche, in fact the innodrive did all the driving lol
However i did keep my hands on the wheel unlike the tesla driver and passenger who both sat in the back seat as the car hit a tree at 80 miles per hr
Yesterday
I will always drive a Porsche like a Porsche. I will never drive one like a Prius, NEVER. If I get 150 miles of range @ 85% charge, that's what it will be.

BTW, the innodrive is wonderful, and in the city, or whatever was done at 36 mph....Innodrive and all the assitance functions actually use more battery. EVERYTHING uses battery.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I will always drive a Porsche like a Porsche. I will never drive one like a Prius, NEVER. If I get 150 miles of range @ 85% charge, that's what it will be.

BTW, the innodrive is wonderful, and in the city, or whatever was done at 36 mph....Innodrive and all the assitance functions actually use more battery. EVERYTHING uses battery.
Do you have data to support this? More than likely all the driver safety and assistance systems are fully powered even when not actively being used, and the amount of current they consume will have a negligible effect on range. This is akin to turning off the radio to “save energy”.

Generally, using assistance systems gives a driver more range because it doesn’t accelerate as fast as humans and maintains a longer following distance which allows for additional regenerative braking.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes it uses energy. But given the savings of a computer handling the accelerator and brakes, the car will probably use less energy than using your own foot for the task. And less driver stress.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have data to support this? More than likely all the driver safety and assistance systems are fully powered even when not actively being used, and the amount of current they consume will have a negligible effect on range. This is akin to turning off the radio to “save energy”.

Generally, using assistance systems gives a driver more range because it doesn’t accelerate as fast as humans and maintains a longer following distance which allows for additional regenerative braking.
Perhaps I mis stated. I heard this from a Porsche program rep at a Porsche taycan event. The point is, all the systems use the battery. The more systems that are "on", the more battery usage.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
assuming that your take is correct the fact remains that they defeated that safety, buckled the seatbelt and had the car accelerate. they and not the car are culpable for their deaths.
Ethically, there can be joint culpability, especially if you build a product that is really easy to hack, while promoting the "self driving" capability with their self-driving video on their website saying: “The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”

NHTSA's opinion on predictable abuse:

Unreasonable risks due to predictable abuse or impractical recalibration requirements may constitute safety-related defects.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Ethically, there can be joint culpability, especially if you build a product that is really easy to hack, while promoting the "self driving" capability with their self-driving video on their website saying: “The person in the driver's seat is only there for legal reasons. He is not doing anything. The car is driving itself.”

there are intellectual based arguments that could made and then there is just simple common sense.
in this case these guys violated both the ethical side where tesla advises that the operator ALWAYS be in a position to assume command at any moment and the common sense side to hack the safety measures the way that they did to allow the vehicle to run without someone in the driver's seat.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag

It might also help if Tesla would not use product descriptions such as AutoPilot and Full Self Driving, but it does remain a fine line, of course.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
It might also help if Tesla would not use product descriptions such as AutoPilot and Full Self Driving, but it does remain a fine line, of course.
that is true, I've always thought that driver's assist would have been a better term.

the real world issue is that regardless of whatever safety precautions are built into something like the AP on the tesla there is a subset of people hell bent on defeating them.
Sponsored