Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Anybody hearing anything (rumor or otherwise) about the ability to retrofitting the 150kw/400V option? Bought my turbo used and it's one of the few options the original owner failed to spec.
Sponsored

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Anybody hearing anything (rumor or otherwise) about the ability to retrofitting the 150kw/400V option? Bought my turbo used and it's one of the few options the original owner failed to spec.
If you search the Forum you will find some threads on this. The part is less than $2k, but labor will add around $3k. Fortunately for you, in North America you will likely never have any use for this option unless charging at one of the (currently extremely rare) Tesla Supercharger sites that has the CCS adapter to charge non-Tesla vehicles.
Edit: mea culpa. It was a long day, and I confused the 22 kW AC charger option with the 150 kW DC/400 V option. I haven't read of any way to retroactively install the 150 kW DC/400 V option.

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
If you search the Forum you will find some threads on this. The part is less than $2k, but labor will add around $3k. Fortunately for you, in North America you will likely never have any use for this option unless charging at one of the (currently extremely rare) Tesla Supercharger sites that has the CCS adapter to charge non-Tesla vehicles.
I posted this in another thread: Tesla is opening supercharger network in the US. According to the ariticle they plan on openin 7500 superchargers to non-Tesla's by 2024 with more to follow. Even with that happening I'd have to agree that $5k doesn't seem to be worth it. I do have it on my 2022 Taycan 4S but at $460 for the option I considered it a no-brainer that could pay dividends down the road so to speak.

simcity

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan Turbo, Eletre R (on order)
Country flag
Wasn't in the UK 18 months ago. From another thread...
I didn't spec the 150kW converter, and wish I had of. I asked the dealer, and it is not possible to retrofit (UK).
Im glad I checked the box for £300 odd here. Given I use Tesla

OP
OP
Tucson_Jim

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Thanks. I called my local SA and he came back with a $4,300+ but when I asked him, he clarified that it was the 19.2KW AC feature. I already have that (and don't use it). He didn't seem to know about a 150kw/400V add on. Using a 3X factor for typical Porsche retrofits, if it were $1,500 or so, I might go for it just to backstop the resale value down the road.

Deleted member 6348

Everyone thought that I was nuts for pushing the 150kw/400V option last year. It’s so much cheaper to order it with the car. There are also a number of 400V Chargepoint DC chargers where you can take advantage of it.

The retrofit is possible, but prohibitively expensive.

OP
OP
Tucson_Jim

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
Everyone thought that I was nuts for pushing the 150kw/400V option last year. It’s so much cheaper to order it with the car. There are also a number of 400V Chargepoint DC chargers where you can take advantage of it.

The retrofit is possible, but prohibitively expensive.
I'm still trying to confirm that it's possible. Everything I find online is referring to the 19.2KW AC retrofit. I've seen nothing specific for a 150KW/400V DC retrofit. If you have a definitive source, I'd appreciate you sharing it. Thanks!

tchavei

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list. Includes a MY23 Taycan RWD
Country flag
In Europe (at least Portugal) it's part of the base package. I initially panicked when I couldn't find the option but then someone told me to check the standard specs and it was there.

OP
OP
Tucson_Jim

Tucson_Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan turbo
Country flag
In Europe (at least Portugal) it's part of the base package. I initially panicked when I couldn't find the option but then someone told me to check the standard specs and it was there.
Thanks. Unfortunately, over here it's still an option. Probably because of Porsche's deal with Electrify America. Wouldn't want any KW's leaking into Elon's world now, would we? :)

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I skipped it intentionally and charge exclusively at home. I had no real reason to pass other than wanting nothing to do with Elon.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
to date now possible - the only retrofit possible/announced is the 19.2 kW charge options - the two are unrelated and there is no confirmed program for this to be retrofitted after the car leaves the factory.

it was well known it would be useful for Tesla Supercharters, but a lot of people decided to save the $460 on their $150,000 vehicle since "it would never be used".

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I'm still trying to confirm that it's possible. Everything I find online is referring to the 19.2KW AC retrofit. I've seen nothing specific for a 150KW/400V DC retrofit. If you have a definitive source, I'd appreciate you sharing it. Thanks!
there is no current retrofit procedure for the 400V/150kW package.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Optional in UK.
I chose it just in case :)