150kW DC on-board booster

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
I was told that this is a wasted option to be added on UK cars as generally all DC chargers in the UK above 50kW will be 800v systems as opposed to 400v. In other words you would not benefit from this in the UK and it was designed principally for chargers in the rest of Europe (where a lot of the 150kW+ chargers are still using 400v systems).

Does anyone know if this is the case and whether there is value in adding this to the configuration for a UK spec car?

Thanks
Sponsored

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I’m not 100% on this, but there are a few 400 volt chargers that without the upgrade you will only charge at 50kw max. The price is so low for the upgrade I just ticked the box.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I was told by the Porsche GB rep at the launch that this option is not required in the UK.

See article here:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/com...itable-dont-make-charging-essentials-one-them

The text mentions:

It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more.

I did not spec it

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I was told by the Porsche GB rep at the launch that this option is not required in the UK.

See article here:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/com...itable-dont-make-charging-essentials-one-them

The text mentions:

It turns out that, in fact, because legislation means that all the 150kW chargers in the UK have super-modern 960V, they'll charge the Taycan at the full 150kW even if you haven’t added the optional DC on-board charging system. Or at least, according to research that Porsche has done, it will at some 95% or more.

I did not spec it
Thanks! Removed - paid for the very expensive mp3 sound instead :) must be the most expensive mp3 soundtrack I have bought...

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Thanks! Removed - paid for the very expensive mp3 sound instead :) must be the most expensive mp3 soundtrack I have bought...
Sports sound is the best! love it and so does everyone else.

cd77

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24 (since Nov 23)
Country flag
With MY21, which you might get anyway if you have not ordered yet, the 150 kW DCDC will be standard equipment and no longer optional.

OP
OP
TAYC4S

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
With MY21, which you might get anyway if you have not ordered yet, the 150 kW DCDC will be standard equipment and no longer optional.
Interesting - I have ordered (Feb 2020) but still waiting on my allocation slot details.
Instead of the 150kW charger, I would rather they activate the wireless phone charging and resolve the phone accessibility issues others have been reporting :) - Thanks for letting me know though!
Sponsored