150kW on-board DC-DC converter - do I need to order this in UK?

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
It’s a few hundred quid more for the 22kw version of the chargers from memory, but when we are spending that on minor cosmetic changes and the cars are £100k+ it isn’t something even thought about. For me - a 3x (22kw charger + upgrade) or 2x (22kw charger no upgrade) faster charging capability is worth much more than an automatic charge door for example, if there is a limited budget.

The other point on home set up is future proofing - as battery capacities get bigger, your 8 hours overnight won’t get you anywhere near full on 7kw.

Finally, re 22kw capability on the car, there are 22kw AC public chargers dotted around that you might want to use.
Thanks for info!
I am a Northern tight wad so I do think about a 'few' hundred quid!
Especially as I cant fiddle the home charging apparatus through my Ltd Co.
Totally agree still better value than a party trick charge port that might jam
and immobilise you.
Not sure about future proofing. 99% of the time I get home at 6 and go to work at 8.30
Thats 14.5 hours so future proofed up to a 100KwH battery!
I am going to move anyway in a few years when I retire.
People will also start to relax more and more about range anxiety when they suddenly
wake up and realise that they only drive 8 miles a day and the country is festooned with chargers.
The 1000 mile range electric car is pure nonsense. A 1000 mile journey will take me days.
I will stop multiple times with multiple opportunities to charge.
Fast and available charging will be much more important than battery capacity.
A 1000 mile battery is as redundant as a 200 gallon fuel tank.
I think range for a 'normal' car will stabilise at around 300 miles and batteries will get smaller and lighter and more efficient.
Huge batteries will be available for the range anxious if you are happy with a less efficient car that is worse to drive.
Sponsored

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993, iPace, Taycan(s) on order
Thanks for info!
I am a Northern tight wad so I do think about a 'few' hundred quid!
Especially as I cant fiddle the home charging apparatus through my Ltd Co.
Totally agree still better value than a party trick charge port that might jam
and immobilise you.
Not sure about future proofing. 99% of the time I get home at 6 and go to work at 8.30
Thats 14.5 hours so future proofed up to a 100KwH battery!
I am going to move anyway in a few years when I retire.
People will also start to relax more and more about range anxiety when they suddenly
wake up and realise that they only drive 8 miles a day and the country is festooned with chargers.
The 1000 mile range electric car is pure nonsense. A 1000 mile journey will take me days.
I will stop multiple times with multiple opportunities to charge.
Fast and available charging will be much more important than battery capacity.
A 1000 mile battery is as redundant as a 200 gallon fuel tank.
I think range for a 'normal' car will stabilise at around 300 miles and batteries will get smaller and lighter and more efficient.
Huge batteries will be available for the range anxious if you are happy with a less efficient car that is worse to drive.
All very reasonable points!

KConway

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RWD Taycan
Country flag
Would you still need a Tesla to J1772 adapter or does this option change to charger port on the car?

mutanthands

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Suzuki Cara
Country flag
It doesn't change the physical charger port on the car, so if you are in the US you would need the Tesla adapter. In Europe / UK the charge ports are all standardised, so it's not needed.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have three phase at home and have ticked it. Going forward I probably wouldn’t even consider buying a car that charges at only a third of that speed at home. Not sure how many of us there are in that category in the UK though.
I have solar cells that get nowhere near even 11kW and I am very rarely in need of an emergency full charge at home so whether charging overnight to be OK for the next day or during the day on free ‘leccy the 11kW charger is plenty for me.
If I want fast I want much more than just 22kW.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
and batteries will get smaller and lighter and more efficient.
Almost certainly and personally when this happens I will value the car being smaller and lighter with no more range more than remaining big and heavy and gaining range.
I drove home from Aviemore last month in my plug in hybrid. 500 miles and I filled up with petrol in Carlisle, and still have half a tank. I stopped twice to let my dog stretch his legs and have a wee. I think with the Taycan I just need to plug in for the dog stops, certainly not as much freedom as my PHV but OK, I only do these long trips 3 or 4 times a year.

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I disagree!
At over £1k it’s not a low cost option and is unlikely to help residuals (IMO). Unless you already have 3-phase then I wouldn’t bother adding it as an option.

KConway

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RWD Taycan
Country flag
Not a decision in UK as all public DC connectors are Euro CCS/CCS 2 standard by law (even Tesla).
I suppose the UK standard is J1772 then the answer for US market is adapter required.

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Almost certainly and personally when this happens I will value the car being smaller and lighter with no more range more than remaining big and heavy and gaining range.
I drove home from Aviemore last month in my plug in hybrid. 500 miles and I filled up with petrol in Carlisle, and still have half a tank. I stopped twice to let my dog stretch his legs and have a wee. I think with the Taycan I just need to plug in for the dog stops, certainly not as much freedom as my PHV but OK, I only do these long trips 3 or 4 times a year.
works for you certainly not for me. I do perhaps 25 of them a year, often with someone elderly or a young child. last thing I need is an extra half an hour to an hour added to my 4 hour round trip.

AlexG

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shell now putting 22kw AC chargers at supermarkets around the UK - inc. Waitrose. Don't get why you wouldn't want to charge twice as fast.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Shell now putting 22kw AC chargers at supermarkets around the UK - inc. Waitrose. Don't get why you wouldn't want to charge twice as fast.
What about Lidl?

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Because it’s a ridiculous £1100 and it is me that will be charging twice as fast at a 50Kw DC charger round the corner. INSTAVOLT, BP pulse or even at Shell. Might even find a charger at 150!
22kw AC is pointless unless you have 3 phase at home and a charger that cost £2000. No one has it at home and it’s too slow on a road trip.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the 19.2 kW charging option in NA - similar to 22 kW for europe - is stupid expensive and hard to justify for NA purchase - not a lot of 19.2 kW chargers unless you install one at home - and yeah - nearly $2k option - wow - simply wow....

I had the 80 amp (19.2 kW) option for my 2014 Model S P85D - it was nice when it was charging super fast…

however if you do want the 19.2 kW charger in North America I recommend either a ClipperCreek HCS-80 or HCS-100 charger or the Porsche Wall Charger - both are about $1500 for the EVSE + cost of the 19.2 kW option for the vehicle, but it will charge your eV at home at night pretty quickly - and you'll occassionally find some/few 80/100 amp Tesla Destination chargers while traveling - so bring your 80 amp TeslaTap.

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Because it’s a ridiculous £1100 and it is me that will be charging twice as fast at a 50Kw DC charger round the corner. INSTAVOLT, BP pulse or even at Shell. Might even find a charger at 150!
22kw AC is pointless unless you have 3 phase at home and a charger that cost £2000. No one has it at home and it’s too slow on a road trip.
PMCC will handle 22kW and doesn't cost anywhere near £2K.
Sponsored