18 way seats- how's the fit for larger individuals?

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Chalk with Stealth wrap
Country flag
My freeze date is tomorrow and I was considering the 18 way seats as the look more stylish and appear more comfortable. My question is whether larger individuals like myself my be a bit too cramped in these seats. I have broad shoulders and an athletic build at 6'1", 230lbs. Thanks.
Sponsored

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
My freeze date is tomorrow and I was considering the 18 way seats as the look more stylish and appear more comfortable. My question is whether larger individuals like myself my be a bit too cramped in these seats. I have broad shoulders and an athletic build at 6'1", 230lbs. Thanks.
I am smaller at 5'6'', 175, and I do have the 18 way seats. They are identical to the 14 way. The seat and side bolsters only tighten up when you inflate them to comfort level that you want. We sat in a Panamera as the dealership did not have a Taycan with 18 way in stock. The Panamera are very very close if not identical to the Taycan seats. It took me only one test to know that I would include them on my build. I like a tight fit and the 18 way are very comfortable to me and since they are adjustable per driver my wife can set and save her own setting - she does not like the same tight fit that I do. If your dealership has pretty much any model with 18 way seats it would be worth your time to drive over and test them out in person.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'm 6'2" 215 lbs and most of that is in my ass. The 18-way seats are great. I have the hip bolsters extended out all the way, though I could pull them in just slightly for more aggressive driving. Plenty of room to pull in the side bolsters. Most likely you'd have no trouble at all.

OP
OP
tibiafx1

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am smaller at 5'6'', 175, and I do have the 18 way seats. They are identical to the 14 way. The seat and side bolsters only tighten up when you inflate them to comfort level that you want. We sat in a Panamera as the dealership did not have a Taycan with 18 way in stock. The Panamera are very very close if not identical to the Taycan seats. It took me only one test to know that I would include them on my build. I like a tight fit and the 18 way are very comfortable to me and since they are adjustable per driver my wife can set and save her own setting - she does not like the same tight fit that I do. If your dealership has pretty much any model with 18 way seats it would be worth your time to drive over and test them out in person.
Thanks for the response. This is helpful. I'm going for the 18 way!

OP
OP
tibiafx1

tibiafx1

First Name
AC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm 6'2" 215 lbs and most of that is in my ass. The 18-way seats are great. I have the hip bolsters extended out all the way, though I could pull them in just slightly for more aggressive driving. Plenty of room to pull in the side bolsters. Most likely you'd have no trouble at all.
Excellent and funny! For some reason I thought the 18 way were much more expensive than the 14 way...going 18!

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I am 6' 3" and 200 pounds and find the lumbar support too low in the 18 way seats. I am not sure if the other seats would be better, but I don't love the 18 way ones, at least for my body type.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
For some reason I thought the 18 way were much more expensive than the 14 way...going 18!
A couple of things to note:

I don’t think the the 18-way can be optioned with massage (not an issue of you’re not interested).

The 18-way can only be ventilated if you spec full leather (not a problem if you’re already spec’ing full leather or if you don’t want seat ventilation).

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
A couple of things to note:

I don’t think the the 18-way can be optioned with massage (not an issue of you’re not interested).

The 18-way can only be ventilated if you spec full leather (not a problem if you’re already spec’ing full leather or if you don’t want seat ventilation).
18-Way can not be optioned with with message

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Do the seat squab side bolsters on the 18 way make it more difficult to get out of an already difficult car to get out of? I believe they are more rigid due to the adjustment mechanism.

Porsche Taycan 18 way seats- how's the fit for larger individuals? 1623657270072

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Do the seat squab side bolsters on the 18 way make it more difficult to get out of an already difficult car to get out of? I believe they are more rigid due to the adjustment mechanism.

1623657270072.png
This is the same concern that I have. My SA has told me that I should stick with 14 way.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
As @dickp wrote: My SA has told me that I should stick with 14 way.

Same here (2m, 100kg); I stayed with 14way.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
This is the same concern that I have. My SA has told me that I should stick with 14 way.
I learned about this on a previous Porsche. The leather tends to wear on the top edge of the bolster more as well.

juuso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I'm 198cm (6'6") and around 110kg (240+ lbs). I've had some trouble with my butt (jeans waist 38") in some cars that have very narrow and heavily bolstered seats, but not so much in my 991.1 C2S with 18-ways, which I really, really like. I've test sat Taycans with 18-ways and they're very similar.

That said, I've test driven a Taycan (and a 991.1) with 14-ways, and they're very nice seats too. I was contemplating a choice between 14-ways + massage and 18-ways + ventilation, and went for the latter partly because I didn't want to pay for the massage seats without being able to try them out. At least I know what I'm paying for with the 18-ways, and I know they're worth it for me.

Ingress and egress may be somewhat easier with the 14-ways, but I decided to prioritize comfort and support on longer drives over getting in and out. Being in my mid-30s I'm still nimble enough :)

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
18-way in my Cayenne GTS and it's impossible to not rub the bolsters when entering/exiting. They're incredibly comfortable just have to be careful and maintain the leather appropriately. I have 14-way in the Taycan.
Sponsored