atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Rather than revive this year-old thread, I wanted to ask for opinions/experiences of 19” vs 20”, now that folks have another year of driving under their (steel) belts.

My situation is I’m taking delivery of an off the lot RWD car with 20” Turbo Aero wheels. I would’ve preferred 19”‘; while I agree the 20”‘a look better, I’d be ok with the look of the 19”s to gain the higher sidewall.

I live out in the county in PA, where the State Bird, Flower & Animal are the Pothole. So I think the smaller wheels will be less likely to be seriously damaged. Plus the rubber will be cheaper & from my previous experience with EVs the rears especially have a limited lifetime.

I have an ad in the Marketplace right now for a sale/trade on my wheels. Another alternative could be to spring for the Tire & Wheel Protection when I take delivery vs going through the work of selling and swapping/buying new wheels/tires. Doesn’t help with the recurring cost of the rubber though. Would be sticking with all-season tires.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
I kept the 19" for the comfort (roads are bad in my country) and the autonomy (the tires are narrower then less friction).

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Another question, does changing wheel sizes require a coding change to the BECS for instance?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Rather than revive this year-old thread, I wanted to ask for opinions/experiences of 19” vs 20”, now that folks have another year of driving under their (steel) belts.

My situation is I’m taking delivery of an off the lot RWD car with 20” Turbo Aero wheels. I would’ve preferred 19”‘; while I agree the 20”‘a look better, I’d be ok with the look of the 19”s to gain the higher sidewall.

I live out in the county in PA, where the State Bird, Flower & Animal are the Pothole. So I think the smaller wheels will be less likely to be seriously damaged. Plus the rubber will be cheaper & from my previous experience with EVs the rears especially have a limited lifetime.

I have an ad in the Marketplace right now for a sale/trade on my wheels. Another alternative could be to spring for the Tire & Wheel Protection when I take delivery vs going through the work of selling and swapping/buying new wheels/tires. Doesn’t help with the recurring cost of the rubber though. Would be sticking with all-season tires.
I selected the 19” aero wheels for their pothole-resistance (New Jersey!), ride comfort, and range. All-season tires. If I had to do it again, I would. 20” aero wheels are not bad range-wise either, though.

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
If you are not taking the car to track, 19” is obvious choise. Very comfortable and provide extra protection against potholes. 20 and 21 come with wider tyres, better performance on track. Limits of 19” are hard to exceed on day-to-day drivinf.

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
If you are not taking the car to track, 19” is obvious choise. Very comfortable and provide extra protection against potholes. 20 and 21 come with wider tyres, better performance on track. Limits of 19” are hard to exceed on day-to-day drivinf.
I have the 20" wheels and deal with awful roads due to the constantly changing weather here. I haven't found the 20" wheels to be too rough in normal drive mode. So far I haven't had any tire damage due to potholes but it definitely can happen. FWIW, I have damaged tires on other cars with tires as small as 16" and 17" due to potholes. BTW, I have about a year of on my Taycan and put a good chunk of my miles on it during the winter months.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
The 20in wheels are great even on mountain roads which get pretty beat up by the winter conditions. They get better range as well according to Porsche, and (critically) look way better than the 19s. Apart from the $ I don't think there's a great argument for sticking with the standard wheels.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Update:

Got my car.

Decided to keep the 20’s

Bought the five-year Wheel & Tire to mitigate the “bent rim on the way home, dammit”.

Have 30 days to remorse myself out of it if necessary.:facepalm:

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
Update:

Got my car.

Decided to keep the 20’s

Bought the five-year Wheel & Tire to mitigate the “bent rim on the way home, dammit”.

Have 30 days to remorse myself out of it if necessary.:facepalm:
The price I was quoted on the insurance was $3300? $3500? That seemed too much to me for the 20” wheels. If I had the 21” mission-e’s… maybe.

OP
OP
atebit

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$2500 for 5 years for me. Like I said it was more of a “get it now/decide a little later” thing, because my kind of luck is to not get it & bend a wheel coming out of the dealership lot.

Or, keeping the insurance to term but never needing it. Which is how it’s going so far. :movember:
Sponsored