19.2 kW AC On-board charger removes the standard Plug & Charge capability

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I received this from my dealer this morning via email regarding my car:

What is the technical background for this situation? The root cause of the problem stems from a Plug & Charge certificate stored on the AC On-board charger. There is no technical solution to retrofit the required certificate onto the 19.2 kW charger for MY21 vehicles.
  • · What will Porsche do about this problem?
  • o Effective immediately, we will hide the option on ICC until the issue is resolved (currently expected beginning MY22)
  • o Within the next two weeks, we will hide the option on DCC in order to allow for changes to be made
  • o Customer Experience is working on a goodwill approach for delivered, produced, and unchangeable KF vehicles and will provide an update in the next days.
  • · What do you need to do?
  • o Please inform all your affected customers about this update and adjust any changeable KF and LF orders immediately.
Sponsored

Fedex77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3 E92, Range Rover Sport HST
Country flag
I was debating this option a lot and even got a quote for the 100A install. Eventually my lock date passed and I didn’t select it. I’m really glad. This is terrible for the people that selected it and definitely for those who were talked into it by their dealers.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
This is terrible for the people that selected it and definitely for those who were talked into it by their dealers.
No, it’s terrible for people who selected it and care about plug and charge. I have zero plans for any public charging, so plug and charge is meaningless to me. And my dealer actually tried to talk me out of 19.2kW, but I kept it.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
No, it’s terrible for people who selected it and care about plug and charge. I have zero plans for any public charging, so plug and charge is meaningless to me. And my dealer actually tried to talk me out of 19.2kW, but I kept it.
I'm just curious - what 80 amp J-1772 or Tesla chargers are you planning to use - do you have 100 amp service for your garage?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm just curious - what 80 amp J-1772 or Tesla chargers are you planning to use - do you have 100 amp service for your garage?
I have a 75A Wall Wattz from Wattzilla. I went with that because it was only $1200 and looks nicer (in my opinion) than other 80A Level 2 EVSE.
I don’t have it installed yet. I was going to do it myself this week since I’m off work, but I chickened out and now I have an electrician coming out to quote it next week. I do a lot of industrial electrical work, but as I was looking up codes for residential work and subpanels, especially on a wall that’s a fire barrier, I decided I didn’t want to miss something and have to redo it when it gets inspected.
Load-wise, I have a 200A service with mostly gas appliances, so I’m not worried about the load.

Edit: 200A service to house. Planning 100A subpanel in garage.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
In other words because I have optioned the 19.2kw pmcc unit the plug and charge is unavailable?
that explains why it has not worked for me at the EA chargers

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
In other words because I have optioned the 19.2kw pmcc unit
the 19.2 kw PMCC unit has nothing to do with plug & charge…

the 19.2 kW charger installed in the vehicle makes FastDC charging with Plug&Play impossible due to hardware incompatibility according to posting on this thread.

2 separate things:
  • a 19.2 kW PMCC (EVSE) - which is the external J-1772 EVSE
  • a 19.2 kW on board charger installed at the factory
    • this hardware apparently is incompatible with Plug&Charger for FastDC charging
    • a real screw up by Porsche that an AC/DC charging converter messes with FastDC charging - ROFL

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the 19.2 kw PMCC unit has nothing to do with plug & charge
I assumed he meant the on board charger. There is no 19.2kW PMCC right now, is there?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
22 kW AC charger still on euro configurators. Must be a different part after all. ?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm guessing the meaning of ICC and DCC in the original post is "Internet Car Configurator" and "Dealer Car Configurator" respectively?

Anybody know for sure?

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
Does anyone know what the resolution here is. My dealer is clueless.

Are we getting the 19.2 kW charger and no Plug and Charge, or are we getting the Plug and Charge and no 19.2 kW charger.

My dealer says he does not know anything about this issue and has no bulletins. Even though the description under KB4 is no longer there on my TYD, on the dealer build sheet, it shows everything is there.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Does anyone know what the resolution here is. My dealer is clueless.

Are we getting the 19.2 kW charger and no Plug and Charge, or are we getting the Plug and Charge and no 19.2 kW charger.

My dealer says he does not know anything about this issue and has no bulletins. Even though the description under KB4 is no longer there on my TYD, on the dealer build sheet, it shows everything is there.
My understanding is that if you’ve already ordered the car with the 19.2kW charger, you’re still getting it, but Plug and Charge will not work. This is the case for me. I ordered my car in Jan 21, the lock date was a week ago and it’s still getting the 19.2kW charger. I had an option to remove the 19.2kW to preserve P&C since the issue was discovered just before my lock date, but I declined.

There is no indication that Porsche is planning on fixing this for MY21 cars.

I think they’ve removed the option for 19.2kW chargers on new orders until this is addressed (expected MY22). Although, I haven’t actually asked a dealer to confirm this. I’m speculating based on it being removed from the online configurator.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am still waiting for new 22kW charger replacement in my car (euro). Its unclear if there is a plug & charge issue with them or is it just a USA market issue.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
My understanding is that if you’ve already ordered the car with the 19.2kW charger, you’re still getting it, but Plug and Charge will not work. This is the case for me. I ordered my car in Jan 21, the lock date was a week ago and it’s still getting the 19.2kW charger. I had an option to remove the 19.2kW to preserve P&C since the issue was discovered just before my lock date, but I declined.

There is no indication that Porsche is planning on fixing this for MY21 cars.

I think they’ve removed the option for 19.2kW chargers on new orders until this is addressed (expected MY22). Although, I haven’t actually asked a dealer to confirm this. I’m speculating based on it being removed from the online configurator.
My car is sitting at the port in Houston, now going on 3 weeks, and all anyone can tell me is that they are doing a software update on all Taycans. My dealer says this is what Porsche has told him. I have asked my dealer repeatedly about this problem with the 19.2 kW charging and he insists he knows nothing about, and has no notifications from Porsche. So weird.

I do have the 19.2 kW charging option, but what has me worried is that on the TYD website, as others on this forum have said, the code for the 19.2 kW charging is still there, but the description has been eliminated, and I am wondering what that means.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am still waiting for new 22kW charger replacement in my car (euro). Its unclear if there is a plug & charge issue with them or is it just a USA market issue.
What happened to the 22kW charger in your car?
Sponsored