19.2 kW AC On-board charger removes the standard Plug & Charge capability

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So here is my latest update.

After being told by PCNA CS that they just received a bulletin on this issue and that they are going to replace the faulty charger, my dealer informed today that what CS told me was incorrect,
I would expect that PCNA is generally far more informed than the dealer. Don't the dealers get their info from PCNA after all?
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I would expect that PCNA is generally far more informed than the dealer. Don't the dealers get their info from PCNA after all?
Which issue are we talking about, the plug and charge or the STOP SALE notice where they clearly state they are replacing the 19.2 charger. I am on that list, told I am 125, whatever that means.

Really disappointing to hear about your dealer. I am not a happy camper either, what a mess some of these cars are. They are just so darn good looking and drive so great, otherwise I would have taken a hike a long time ago. I just wish the experience could be better, but it doesn't seem they even care.
My issue is the plug and charge issue, not the faulty charger that has the stop sale. My production date is after 2/9 so presumably the 19.2kW charger in my car is already fixed for that issue.

My dealer thinks the CS rep thought I was talking about the wall EVSE that has been missing from the trunk on some orders. I somehow doubt that. I could see them confusing the two different 19.2kW charger issues... that’s feasible.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
So here is my latest update.

After being told by PCNA CS that they just received a bulletin on this issue and that they are going to replace the faulty charger, my dealer informed today that what CS told me was incorrect, and that they don’t plan to replace the charger. I pointed out the other issue which has the recall on it specifically says they are going to replace the charger, so why not for this issue as well? No answer.

So I’m back to having to submit a new order. If I wish to change to a Torismo, the dealer wants to renegotiate. That’s what I get for the inconvenience.

I may just go buy another Tesla.
you cannot blame them for renegotiating the deal because you want to switch to a tourismo, it is a different car and different options and price points.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
you cannot blame them for renegotiating the deal because you want to switch to a tourismo, it is a different car and different options and price points.
I get that, but I’m getting nothing from Porsche for the screw up. So it’s going to cost me more and I’m going to have to wait an additional four months on a 4S (I had ordered a Turbo). If I want another Turbo, it’s likely November/December.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I get that, but I’m getting nothing from Porsche for the screw up. So it’s going to cost me more and I’m going to have to wait an additional four months on a 4S (I had ordered a Turbo). If I want another Turbo, it’s likely November/December.
Yes, I get the frustration, they certainly screwed the pooch. but the dealership is only the sales agent. it is incumbent on PCNA to make things right, maybe going up the food chain to germany would be something to try.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
therein the root of my charging frustrations.
is that what the car says now? when I set my car up that message wasn't shown
I got my car in Nov'20 (MY21) and these options have been there since day 1.

If they aren't visible today then I assume this relates to MY and build date unless there is also a regional variation.

LovinTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan and 2019 Mercedes S560V
Country flag
Does anyone have their car at the port or on a ship that is subject to the Stop Sale Order from the defective 19.2 kW charger that has to be replaced.

I am one of those people and my dealer has been no help in determining when this issue might be resolved.

I was wondering if anyone else had any information.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
My issue is the plug and charge issue, not the faulty charger that has the stop sale. My production date is after 2/9 so presumably the 19.2kW charger in my car is already fixed for that issue.

My dealer thinks the CS rep thought I was talking about the wall EVSE that has been missing from the trunk on some orders. I somehow doubt that. I could see them confusing the two different 19.2kW charger issues... that’s feasible.
is there another thread of the commonality of the missing EVSE? I took delivery of my car and never knew to look for this. A month later, I find out it’s missing and now having to fight with the dealer that it was never there.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Anyone get PCNA to do anything about plug and charge not working. . . Ever? I can imagine this will have a negative effect on resale value down the road as well.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
the Taycan supports

800 volt DC 270 kW charging standard
400 volt DC 50 kW charging standard
240 volt AC 11 kW L2 charging standard

_ANY_ north american 240 volt AC 50/40 amp L2 J-1772 EVSE will then provide up to 9.6 kW - porsche’s PMC and PMCC in North America conform to the J-1772 standard and provide up to 9.6 kW via NEMA 14-50/6-50 plugs.

[optional] 400 volt 150 kW charging - this option provide up to 150 kW charging with 400V fastDC chargers.

19.2 kW is the north american limit for L2 AC charging
you are correct you need 100 amp breaker - 80 amp charge rate
you can not use “two” L2 chargers to achieve this - you simply need to purchase and install a 100/80 amp L2 J-1772 EVSE - like the 100 amp charger sold by clippercreek -there may be others

in the US it’s unclear if you will encounter enough 400 volt 150 kW chargers to make the 150 kW option worth while, but it’s cheap enough that I personally consider it good insurance.
Sponsored