Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I strongly believe that you will never use the 19.2kw AC on-board charger.
I think (technically) you would use it every time you plug into AC.

As far as the extra capacity over the standard AC charger, you would use it as often as you plug into an EVSE that also has a higher capacity than the standard AC charger.

And...if you install an EVSE with a higher capacity than the standard AC charger at home, then you would use it every time you plug in at home.

All of this to say your strong belief is not shared by myself.
Sponsored

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
The description for KB4 is showing as “19.2kW charger” again vs. blank. Maybe it’s a sign...

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW: the software update does not seem to fix the plug and charge issue.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
19.2kw AC on-board...
I was trying to convince myself that i probably wouldn't need it cuz it was removed from my configuration. But you guys are clearly right. (Dave & Jeremy)
I was told by the dealership that I can add it later
Does anyone know if this is true?
Most people won’t take advantage of it. What’s your use case?

Up to a few days ago I would have said it cannot be added later. However, Porsche recently announced there will be a 19.2kW retrofit option for MY20 (maybe 20+) cars in some markets later this year. It’s a hardware swap.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I was trying to convince myself that i probably wouldn't need it cuz it was removed from my configuration.
You’re not wrong here. You probably don’t need it. I don’t think anyone who doesn’t have the 19.2kW charger should feel bad or that they’re missing out. They probably aren’t.

It’s my understanding that, in the US, 19.2kW public chargers are rare. So, it’s primarily for use at home. And most people charging at home can let the car sit and charge long enough that a lower charging rate is not an issue.

Even for myself, it’s unlikely that I need the 19.2kW charger.

Where I see the benefit, for myself, is if we’re running kids around and we have an hour at home to charge...that hour will be more productive with the larger charger.

This is our first BEV and it will be my wife’s DD, so I wanted as few snags as possible.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
a 19.2 kW charger is no doubt beneficial in the US if you can _KNOW_ you will be using a 19.2 kW charger

there are some, but not a lot of 19.2 kW chargers “in the wild” but they exist, but not in great quanities.

you can assure you have a 19.2 kW for your daily use by installing one in your personal residence - but it requires that your personal residence can handle a 100 amp circuit for the 19.2 kW EV charger…

if you have a 19.2 kW capable vehicle and you have a personal home 19.2 kW EV charger - it will be faster/better than a slower charger.

but if you don’t have a home charger that is 100 amps, and you are expecting to “find” 19.2 kW chargers away from home in the US - you are likely to be disappointed on a regular basis - it will be a very rare find to find public/destination chargers that are 19.2 kW - I would also suggest that of the few and far between 19.2 kW that exist in the wild - 90% of them will be Tesla Destination chargers, for which you would need a Tesla Tap to utilize that particluar charger...

there is some number of 19.2 kW Tesla Destination chargers in North America - these may be 15% or less of the Total Tesla Destination charger population.

there is also some population of J-1772 public/destination chargers - I would estimate fewer than 3% of that entire population chargers are 19.2 kW - 80% or more are 32 amps or less.

ultilization of the 19.2 kW charger in North America will only be high - if you are personally installing a 19.2 kW charger - otherwise you are dealing with single digit percentages of public/destination chargers - and again the 90% case for those rare 19.2 kW will be Tesla Destination chargers for which you’ll need the 80 amp TeslaTap/JDapter.

it’s a very rare and particluar set of circumstances to find a J-1772 19.2 kW EV charger when away from home - to say it’s uncommon is gross understatement - and this is going to be shriking population and not a growing population becuse the world is moving towards fastDC charging - so I don’t even think this will get better over time - at best it will be status quo to slight decline - I don’t see a stampeed of people “upgrading” their EV chargers to 19.2 kW versions - there are just so few EV’s that support that charge rate in the US - most North American EV’s are 32 amp J-1772 or 40 amp…

my recommendation is that you know what your doing if you think you’re going to benefit from this option - cause it not going to benefit you in any common scenario.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
19.2 kW WILl be useful if you happen to be an area where you have one for home, maybe a business you frequent/control, and you travel to hotels where you know these exist.

I wish to be clear, the 19.2 kW charger is clearly beneficial when you encounter a 19.2 kW charger - and there combinations of usage where it will be highly utilized _IF_ you know for a fact you will be frequenting places that have these chargers. But I’m arguing that’s a very very uncommon scenario, and it’s far from the common EV charger installation most business/residences would’ve installed if they have EV chargers - and it’s certainlly not even the case for the “pay for use” L2 charging networks like ChargePoint, EVgo, Blilnk, others…even the commerical pay-per-use J-1772 L2 chartgers tend to be 208 volts @ 30 amps _IF_ you are lucky - and high powered ones are 40 amps. I don’t think there is even a single 19.2 kW L2 public pay for use EV chargers in the entire network of ChargePoint, Blink, EVGo or others…

so beneficial no doubt no question if you _KNOW_ you’ll be using these chargers (for example you’ll have one at home or at your work) - uncommon/rare/un-obtainium if you don’t know for a fact you’re going encounter one of these chargers.

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Good reading. I was thinking about getting a TeslaTap adaptor to use my G2 Tesla wall charger, which is 80A capable. I originally thought the 19.2kW is built-in (yeah, not doing enough research). I order a 4S CT for delivery this year. don't remember seeing 19.2kW on the options list, so it didn't occur to me at all that it's an issue with hardware/software and P&C. Guess now I might be waiting to see how this 19.2kW issue is resolved. It's an option I like to have because I already have the hardware to charge at 19.2kW, but not a deal killer if I don't get it. Most charging will be happening at night sitting in the garage, so 4 hours vs 8 hours is not really that much of difference. Unless of course, you need to top off during the day for whatever reason.

-ThinkMac-

DubaiEye

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Website
volt.ae
Vehicles
21Taycan TS,AC Cobra,Tesla X,Tesla 3,Zoe,Fiat 500e
Country flag
I am still waiting for new 22kW charger replacement in my car (euro). Its unclear if there is a plug & charge issue with them or is it just a USA market issue.
is it upgrade or something is wrong?

because i ordered mine with 22kw but the sales rep messed up and car arrived without it and they told me they may have an option of retrofit i am not sure.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
is it upgrade or something is wrong?

because i ordered mine with 22kw but the sales rep messed up and car arrived without it and they told me they may have an option of retrofit i am not sure.
Retrofit later this year will be possible.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good reading. I was thinking about getting a TeslaTap adaptor to use my G2 Tesla wall charger, which is 80A capable. I originally thought the 19.2kW is built-in (yeah, not doing enough research). I order a 4S CT for delivery this year. don't remember seeing 19.2kW on the options list, so it didn't occur to me at all that it's an issue with hardware/software and P&C. Guess now I might be waiting to see how this 19.2kW issue is resolved. It's an option I like to have because I already have the hardware to charge at 19.2kW, but not a deal killer if I don't get it. Most charging will be happening at night sitting in the garage, so 4 hours vs 8 hours is not really that much of difference. Unless of course, you need to top off during the day for whatever reason.

-ThinkMac-
I will be using a gen2 HPWC at 80A with a Tesla tap as well.

The last statement from Porsche is that it will be fixed for MY22, so presumably when you get access to the 22 configurator you’ll be able to add it.

Does your utility offer a time of use plan? That’s my primary use case for 19.2kW.

Last edited:

ithinkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'17 3, '22 4S CT, '22 MXP
Country flag
Andrew:
My local utility does offer TOU plan, will be kicking the Teslas out of the garage and park the CT in to take advantage of charging at night. I had my garage pre-wired with extra 14-50 when I doing the HPWC. So I can plug in the Porsche charger, but figure it will cleaner if I just use 1 charger that's already mounted on the wall. Also planning on Solar and Powerwall later this year, so maybe TOU plan might not be that important.

That will be good if we can retrofit the 19.2kW in 2022. Super excited. Can't wait to hear about your Turbo.

-ThinkMac-

I will be using a gen2 HPWC at 80A with a Tesla tap as well.

The last statement from Porsche is that it will be fixed for MY22, so presumably when you get access to the 22 configurator you’ll be able to add it.

Does your utility offer a time of use plan? That’s my primary use case for 19.2kW.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For me there is none. I road trip a bunch and the feature is a deal killer. Well, ok, if they took an additional $50k off I’d deal with it ?. For me, the only solution is one where I have the features as advertised. Even then I am worried about major surgery on a brand new vehicle.
Really? Even if you have plug & charge on your car, how do you know every charger is working, too?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Really? Even if you have plug & charge on your car, how do you know every charger is working, too?
Yeah, I probably overreacted a bit. I was a bit annoyed at the time. I’m still hopeful that Porsche will fix it. But if they don’t, they really should financially compensate all of those impacted.

Plug and charge isn’t the solution to all problems, but it’s a significant step in the right direction.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yeah, I probably overreacted a bit. I was a bit annoyed at the time. I’m still hopeful that Porsche will fix it. But if they don’t, they really should financially compensate all of those impacted.

Plug and charge isn’t the solution to all problems, but it’s a significant step in the right direction.
I am totally with you. I just think that we all should have slightly lower expectations when it comes to P&C, since it must work together with EA and other public charging facilities.

Depending on your usage, I would try to get the car ASAP, and enjoy it. If P&C matures in the coming year or two, then get back to Porsche and get it fixed.
Sponsored