19.2kW (AC) charging option on Taycan?

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
Called into local dealer yesterday and they emailed this info regards charging options, not sure if it’s been posted before / freely available already?
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Thanks Penners!!! The US dealers have ZERO info. Seems like it is a paper launch in the US at least.

Anyhow this is exactly what I was looking for in writing from Porsche. I will quote it here for those who don't want to download the PDF.

Anyone else notice all the pictures of the "Taycan" in the PDF are the Mission E? Sloppy Porsche...

"Approximately 80% of electric vehicle charging takes place at home, and with an extensive offering of charging equipment, customers can experience convenient and easy charging of up to 22kW*."

"*The Porsche Taycan will NOT be able to charge at 22kW at point of sale - only when the optional 22kW on-board charger is available (expected mid-2020 earliest)"

"The Taycan will come with the 11kW Porsche Mobile Charger Connect as a forced option at POS"

"22kW Porsche Mobile Charger Connect Availability Q3/2020"

"Charging time for 0-100%:
~9 hours on 11kW
~5 hours on 22kW"

So many options not available at launch....forced sunroof, forced mobile connect, limited interior colors, no deviated stitching etc.
Rather important charging options delayed till 2020. To me 22kW is way more useful than 270kw that they have over hyped. And they even said it themselves...80% happens at home (for many of us it will probably be like 99%).
Also strange that Porsche wouldn't offer the same level as Tesla @ home charging from launch.
Could it be that Porsche is relying on too many outside vendors for the Taycan unlike the rest of the model lineup and they are production or material constrained?

Feels like rushed launch for Porsche to satisfy the dieselgate requirements.

Hoping the 22kW on-board charger is a free retrofit and that my order isn't delayed even more because of it. Already delayed until at least June 2020 because I don't want the forced sunroof option.

Last edited:

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood but I read it as being the mobile charger, nothing to do with anything onboard the car? So if you had the triple phase electricity supply (I don’t unfortunately) to charge at 22kw at home you would be able to if you had an alternative home charger installed - just not using the Porsche mobile charger!?!

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe I misunderstood but I read it as being the mobile charger, nothing to do with anything onboard the car?
I don't think so. Look at my quotes:
"only when the optional 22kW on-board charger is available (expected mid-2020 earliest)"

also from the PDF:
"In short the early Taycan models that come with the 11kW on-board charger (OBC) as standard won't be able to charge at 22kW. The reason for this is the 11kW OBC which acts as the lowest limiting factor in dictating the charging speed. Despite the output of the chargepoint, the OBC will limit charging to 11kW only."

I am wiring my garage for 19.2kW - 22kW charging but I still am not clear if the optional 22kW OBC will be something that can be retrofit after sale (and/or what the fee will be to do this) or if I will need to delay my order to have it included. While the Taycan Turbo's range and 11kW overnight home charging speed is more than enough for my day to day needs, I really like the idea of being able to add 50-60 miles in 60 minutes if needed. without spending the same amount of time driving to and from a DC chargepoint.

Last edited:

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I don't think so. Look at my quotes:
"only when the optional 22kW on-board charger is available (expected mid-2020 earliest)"

also from the PDF:
"In short the early Taycan models that come with the 11kW on-board charger (OBC) as standard won't be able to charge at 22kW. The reason for this is the 11kW OBC which acts as the lowest limiting factor in dictating the charging speed. Despite the output of the chargepoint, the OBC will limit charging to 11kW only."

I am wiring my garage for 19.2kW - 22kW charging but I still am not clear if the optional 22kW OBC will be something that can be retrofit after sale (and/or what the fee will be to do this) or if I will need to delay my order to have it included. While the Taycan Turbo's range and 11kW overnight home charging speed is more than enough for my day to day needs, I really like the idea of being able to add 50-60 miles in 60 minutes if needed. without spending the same amount of time driving to and from a DC chargepoint.
I certainly expect Porsche to offer us early adopters the optional 22kW OBC with a free retrofit when it becomes available. The launch is definitely rushed and I'm 100% convinced the reason being the EU emission penalties that is starting 1 January 2020. It's no coincidence that the delivery of customer cars will start first week in January here in Europe.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/automakers-risk-massive-fines-co2-target-miss-analysts-say

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I certainly expect Porsche to offer us early adopters the optional 22kW OBC with a free retrofit when it becomes available. The launch is definitely rushed and I'm 100% convinced the reason being the EU emission penalties that is starting 1 January 2020. It's no coincidence that the delivery of customer cars will start first week in January here in Europe.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/automakers-risk-massive-fines-co2-target-miss-analysts-say
not sure about free, that’s not the Porsche way, but the roll out definitely feels haphazard.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I certainly expect Porsche to offer us early adopters the optional 22kW OBC with a free retrofit when it becomes available.
No retro fit (free or paid) and no 22kW anytime soon in the US. This comes directly from Porsche forwarded to me from my dealership in response to my question:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: Taycan updates?
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXX-

As of now there will not be a retrofit solution for 11kW OBC to the 22 kW OBC. If your customer wants the 22kW OBC, I would wait until we announce it in the future. I love to tell you exactly when, but I can’t give you an exact date as of now.

Best regards/ Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Mike DePetro

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
No retro fit (free or paid) and no 22kW anytime soon in the US. This comes directly from Porsche forwarded to me from my dealership in response to my question:

Hi XXXXXX-

As of now there will not be a retrofit solution for 11kW OBC to the 22 kW OBC. If your customer wants the 22kW OBC, I would wait until we announce it in the future. I love to tell you exactly when, but I can’t give you an exact date as of now.

Mike DePetro
No retrofit. Just talked to the Porsche representative. If you want the 22kw you'll have to wait.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
o_O
That's exactly what I just posted from Mike @ Porsche NA....

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yep - just confirming from a 'second source'. Always a good practice for news...
Ah, sorry my fault, since you didn't quote a named source I didn't read it as such. On the same page now!

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag

Hi XXXXXX-

Mike DePetro
That is really bad news. If I had not already ordered the car, I would have delayed the whole thing. But too late now, the contracts here in Norway are written in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to cancel without losing a heap of money.

I sure miss that feeling of happiness and anxious waiting I’ve experienced after every previous Porsche car purchase.

It’s just too many disappointments this time. The way I feel right now I might just try and flip it without losing too much money.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I appreciate the disappointment of those who really want the faster charger. However, after 5 years and 3 Tesla's I do not remember even a single time having a need to charge in 5 rather than 10 hours - since the car is full next morning anyway. Not opting for the faster charging solution saved me $3500 - model S used to have a second inverter ($2000) to allow for the 80 A Wall charger ($1500k) so you get faster charging. I imagine that if ever I come home on empty and need to leave immediately I would have to put up with a 15 minute charge at the local supercharger. I think the 350 kW charging stations will be soon as common as the Tesla SC - so why worry?

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I am just wondering here in the US, who can actually charge much faster at home than 7-11Kw per hour? Most of us are limited to adding it to our current panel. Is 22kw charging actually an option for home charging in the US when you are in a home that wasn't just recently constructed. I am trying to get my arms around the issues raised by this forum and agree with svp6, when at home, isn't night time charging how everyone will do it? If the 22kw isn't going to be available until say June 2020, what public location (in the US) will be available to get the higher charge rate vs the 11kw that is being installed in the current production cars being spec now. I am on the short list for a 4S and wonder if this is even an issue I should worry about? Thoughts?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For public chargers you’ll want to prefer DC chargers anyway. Also, v1.0 of a tech heavy new car line. It’s going to have .... foibles and the .2 generation will be a lot better.
Sponsored