19.2kW (AC) charging option on Taycan?

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
In my "limited edition collectible brochure[LOL Porsche]" on page 49 it states the "Porsche Mobile Charger Connect" does 19.2kW (AC) and the "Porsche Mobile Charger" does 9.6kW (AC)

The Porsche charging site @:
www.porsche.com/taycan-charging

States the "Porsche Mobile Charger" only does 7.2kW and the "Porsche Mobile Charger Connect" only does 11kW
The official ["non collectible" lol again] Taycan Brochure says the same 11kW.

I realize that in most cases 9-10h via 11kW charging overnight is enough to ensure full range the next morning but sometimes it would be nice to get more than 20-30 miles per hour of charge.
Charging @ 19.2kW would return about 50-60 miles per hour at home which and it doesn't cost much more to run a 100amp circuit and wiring to the garage than a 50amp.

Did Porsche build the Taycan with the internals that can handle 19.2kW charging via a 3rd party or more powerful factory charger option from Porsche?
The Porsche Mobile Charger Connect @ $1120 plus $470 for the wall mount for 11kW is underwhelming to me, I know I know Porsche tax, but something like this:
https://www.wattzilla.com/products/uno.htm

Is only ~$400 more yet double the charging speed!

Since nothing has been mentioned about it anywhere I can only assume the answer is that the Taycan does not support 19.2kW (AC) charging.
I don't understand why Porsche bragged about 350kW charging then backpedaled to 270kW and blamed the charging network on that (when I have it in writing from Porsche in the "collectible" brochure) and why Porsche wouldn't enable the fastest home charging possible when all they do is brag about how fast the Taycan charges. 99% of the time EVs get charged @ home, why not allow 19kW charging in a EV costing this much? Tesla allows up to 80 amp (17.2kW) you'd think Porsche would want to trump them here with 19.2.

Is there any chance the internal hardware upgrade option for the DC charger from 50kW to 150kW would affect the AC side and allow 19.2?
Sponsored

Last edited:

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
However, there was no option to be filled in for 22KW AC charging unless of course it is part of the 150KW DC charging package...… time will tell. :)

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No option currently for 22kw in the US. No mention of it anywhere in the press, or brochure etc. PAGJ1 posted this info 6 months ago along with things like "the prototypes are charging at 300kw" but we all know the production car isn't. Since the Taycan is official and in production now I don't want prototype specs from PAGJ1.

I too thought it might be part of the 50 to 150kW upgrade as I mentioned in my OP above, but knowing how Porsche nickle and dimes options I suspect it would be it's own option if it was an option at all.

Dealers in the US don't know anything currently. The internet knows far more than they do.

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
The 22 KW will be available as an option end of Q2 or Q3 2020 according to my dealer here in Europe

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
The 22 KW will be available as an option end of Q2 or Q3 2020 according to my dealer here in Europe
Quite interesting. It almost sounds like they do not really want people to order the cars until about a year from now.... here are lots of future options that are coming soon enough for probably a lot of people saying I’ll wait until I can get that and that option since it’s such a big investment to buy this car new anyway why not get it exactly as I want it........

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
Quite interesting. It almost sounds like they do not really want people to order the cars until about a year from now.... here are lots of future options that are coming soon enough for probably a lot of people saying I’ll wait until I can get that and that option since it’s such a big investment to buy this car new anyway why not get it exactly as I want it........
Correct ... very disappointing ... no ice blue rear letters ... no Welcome function ... no Crayon color ... no HUD .... no 22KW .... wow .... and all is arriving 2-3 month after my car is produced ...

Very sad ..... :headbang: ... and additionally a few months later the discount on Taycan orders is bigger than now

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
However, there was no option to be filled in for 22KW AC charging unless of course it is part of the 150KW DC charging package...… time will tell. :)
Correct ... very disappointing ... no ice blue rear letters ... no Welcome function ... no Crayon color ... no HUD .... no 22KW .... wow .... and all is arriving 2-3 month after my car is produced ...

Very sad ..... :headbang: ... and additionally a few months later the discount on Taycan orders is bigger than now
I am not sure a 22 kw option is intresting at all. For home charging 22 kw is to much for a normal home (unless you really have a very high amp connections at home). Plus at home normally you have plenty time to recharge your car. On the road 22 kw is too slow in charging anyhow ;you need min 50 or 150 kw.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla offers 80amp/17.2kW home charging...

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla offers 80amp/17.2kW home charging...
This I understand but here in Europe it will be diffcult to have an 80 amp connection at your home. This will not be possible for most residential connections.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag

What discount, can one get a discount now?

Another thing that is supposed to be available at end of Q2 is the charge cable that is part of the standard equipment. As it is now I am forced to order a big bulky thing with a completely unnecessary digital display at a cost of 1083 Euro.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
I am not sure a 22 kw option is intresting at all. For home charging 22 kw is to much for a normal home (unless you really have a very high amp connections at home). Plus at home normally you have plenty time to recharge your car. On the road 22 kw is too slow in charging anyhow ;you need min 50 or 150 kw.
For home charging 11 kW is of course sufficient. But on longer trips it's very useful. There are basically 22 kW chargers "all over the place", very convenient when you have longer stops for shopping, eating or sightseeing. Or here in Norway where there is now so many EV's that you often find the 50-150 kW chargers occupied when you arrive. The 22 kW chargers at the same locations are often available due to the fact that it costs twice as much to use them if you can only take onboard 11 kW (on all chargers in Norway except Ionity you pay per minute not per kWh)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
For home charging 11 kW is of course sufficient. But on longer trips it's very useful. There are basically 22 kW chargers "all over the place", very convenient when you have longer stops for shopping, eating or sightseeing. Or here in Norway where there is now so many EV's that you often find the 50-150 kW chargers occupied when you arrive. The 22 kW chargers at the same locations are often available due to the fact that it costs twice as much to use them if you can only take onboard 11 kW (on all chargers in Norway except Ionity you pay per minute not per kWh)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I think you’ll be charging for a very long time to get any decent mileage on a 22 kW charger. I’m sure the stores will love it though.
Sponsored